Weapons Defence Myths (Caution - Graphic Wounds)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kogusoku, May 27, 2006.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I found this while surfing on Youtube.

It shows how the usual defences taught in your everyday self defence class fall apart under pressure. This even shows the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officer) 21 foot rule for armed response against an armed assailant.

Please be warned, there are some very graphic knife wounds in this clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHf_pvv4zo]Knife Defence Myths[/ame]

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

can't watch it unless you sign up and get an account, which i can't be bothered to do right now. shame.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

That was just about the best video on defending yourself against a knife I have ever seen in my life. I seriously think you should post it in general discussion, it really does bring home the relaity of knife defence to you.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Agreed, best knife defence video ive ever seen.

5. philp

philp New Member

Yeah, very good.

Run, Hide, Fly.

Do you a think danger is that people that have been *trained* to deal with a knife attack are more likely to think they can stand and defend themselves rather than taking to their feet?

It also shows why police with ANY suspision that a person is concealing a weapon, should approach with their gun already out of the holster and in a firing position.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  6. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I'm in consensus with everyone here. This needs to made easily availible to anyone and everyone on here. Maybe it'll hopefully prevent someone from getting filleted by the bar some night..

7. Slindsay

Yes, definetly. I've heard it voiced by a couple of people who have just learnt the overhead knife defence gigh rising block to figure 4 lock that they in all seriousness wouldn't hand over there money if they where threatened with a knife.

To cure themn of the misconception I picked up an 8 inch carving knife and told them I was going to stab the with an overhand attack as hard as I could and they could then do their little forearm block thing. They refused to demonstarte it :D

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Overall pretty good, however there are some problems with the 21-foot rule segments.

1) The participants are not on equal ground as one has the weapon drawn and in hand the other is starting from zero. The scenarios are not likely as an officer will have a weapon ready and will demand to see your hands as the first step in an encounter.

2) The officers in question stood like statues, this is counter to the tactical training most receive. It's like the non-resisting opponent used in classic knife defense, the person with the firearm is not glued in place and can make tactical shifts in position.

3) Check the video, even with the officer not using good tactical form if you slow the video down you see: :woo: He's dead!

Attached Files:

9. Slindsay

I think the point of the video was to dispel the idea that a gun was a good self defence weapon aganst a knife because in most situations if you are defending yourself you won't have the weapon drawn untill you know the attacker has a knife.

I don't think it was meant to be about Police Trainning but to be about the use of a knife against a gun in general if that makes sense.

10. bcullen

I think it would apply to any weapon or even unarmed. One of the more common mugging precursors is the "Have you got the time?" or "Have you got a light?" routine when the victim checks their watch or reaches for a lighter in a pocket the mugger starts throwing bombs until you're subdued or unconscious and he can rifle through your pockets at will. Surpise is a weapon in itself.

11. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Indeed.. Have had co-workers mugged like that before.. Same "got a light" line too. Except in those situations a gun was involved. *shrug*

12. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Very sobering stuff..

Thanks for posting the link steve, kinda makes me want to carry my shinken everywhere now.

13. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Wow, that is some hard hitting stuff. Glad you posted it up here.

14. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

yeah, I love the commentary there as well, something like "the officere could have gotten off 2 0r 3 rounds but she would still be dead" Looked like she was aiming at his head to me. What kind of pellet guns are they useing over there anyway?

15. bcullen

Sounds like a hilarious new twist on the Crocodile Dundee gag, "That's not a knife?" :D

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice vid post.

Noticed Paul Vunak made an appearance there. He's been talking sense on knife attacks for a very long time.... unfortunately there is still so much BS out there that exists in regards to disarms and a whole load of other nonsense.

If anyone wants to see just how bad cuts can be first hand... get your EMT-I and EMT-II certs and spend some time in an emergency room - Friday and Saturday nights are full of people with all kinds of cuts - from bottles to knife wounds to accidents that happened around the house.

People are not nearly as tough nor hardy as they think. One el cheapo steak knife can bring all the coolness and MA badassness to an end right quick. :eek:

17. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Really good vid. Sounded like Soilent Green in the soundtrack...

18. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Slipnot "The whole thing I think is Poo" {Replace "poo" with a less polite term beginning with S and ending with T}

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  19. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Here's a link to a tool for any school owner serious about teaching knife defense:
    http://www.shocknife.com/video.html

It's a training knife with a taser-like edge, with controls to adjust the amount of shock you get on a strike/cut. Adds a little realism, and a very clear way to see just how well your knife defense actually 'works' (or NOT!). It's pricey, at $900 US for a set of 2, but I'm going to suggest we get them for our school.

Better to find out your defense doesn't work in practice, than to find out when you need it, with a visit to the ER!

20. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hmm, I might actually get some of those. They look like effective trainers for students.