Weapon Training

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Silent_Rage, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Silent_Rage

Silent_Rage New Member

I have studied martial arts since the age of 13 (I'm 25 now). In the 12 years of training, I've yet to experience hands on training with practical weapons. I've trained with nunchakus, bo, and some stick fighting (basic angles and defence tactics). i would love t learn knife fighting and more stick fighting but there is nowhere here fr me to train in such things. Can anyone suggest any training videos that they have personally watched and learned from that could alleviate my dilema? I am interested in learning these particaular weapons because they are the most common weapons one would use or have used against them. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi there

Whereabouts are you based? Not every club advertises and we might know of a location near you for such a thing :)

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

For knife defence, Karl Tanswells STAB program is excellent. To really learn the knife as an offensive weapon you must go to a class, there are too many little nuances to knife fighting that cant be passed on via a video.

Try and find an eskrima/kali school, you start with sticks to simulate the blade and move to knife as you progress. Nothing quite like live blade training!!! If there are no schools then attending seminars are an option, but a less preferable one.

4. Silent_Rage

Silent_Rage New Member

I ive in Western Kentucky. The Kung Fu school I was attending (until I took a second shift job) trained in Staff, Broadsword, some hanbo, but no real practical applications. As far as I have been able to determine, no school here teaches knife fighting or stick fighting.

5. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

Hmmm...

say if you had a stick that was relatively the same size as the broadsword, couldnt you just use broadsword technique?

just a thought

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Where in Western Kentucky. I'm in Louisville and teach stick and (later) knife, among other things.

Mike

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

maybe he means that the weapon stuff taught is more of a single man form that looks pretty?

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yes and no. Some techniques translate well, some not so well. Of course, you can do any technique with a stick that you might do with a blade. But, due to the differences in the natures of the two weapons, there are targets/techniques that are much better suited to one than the other.

Take a shot to the carotid artery, for instance. With a blade, this is a very bad shot and, if landed, should end the fight within a few seconds. A blunt trauma there, though, has only a small percentage chance of ending the fight. The collar bone (which is in the same region) might be a better target for an impact weapon.

In a fight, I'll do what I do and keep going until the threat's been nullified or I've been overcome. But if I train to reflexively recognize the nature of the tool and to automatically aim for optimal targets (based on the nature of the tool at hand) then I'll be in better shape than if I've only trained with one and don't reflexively differentiate between them.

So, while you can often do the same technique, that doesn't necessarily mean that that's your best option. On the flip side, though, it's better than no option at all. I think weapons training is very good. I think training with a variety of weapons is even better.

Of course, that's just my opinion :)

9. Silent_Rage

Silent_Rage New Member

I live in Bowling Green. I actually never put much thought into knife fighting until I saw the movie "The Hunted". That first sparked an interest in tracking and evasion tactics but the martial artist in me began contemplating the benefits of knife fighting. The weapon training I have undergone really is comprised of forms training (very popular training method for kung fu stylists). Although I feel the hand to hand combat tactics of our kung fu school to be excellent, the weapon training is more show that actual training. I would love to learn and study a art that incorporates both stick fighting and knife fighting into the same art (so they translate their techniques well) rather than study two differenet arts. Escrima Kali seems to do that well and sayoc kali interests me with their knife sparring methods (which help bridge the gap between routine practicing and actual combat). Unless an instructor lives here in Bowling Green, the only method I can use to learn (albeit, much less effective) is through video/DVD.

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Shame you're so far away.

Sayoc Kali is very cool. I'm not an instructor in it, but I do train in it some.

Take care and if you're ever in Louisville, make sure to look me up.

Mike