Weapon purchasing

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by electrobes, Nov 13, 2003.

1. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Where do a lot fo you purchase your weapons? I am asking because I see nto a lot of people buy them from ebay or somehting along those lines... are they bad.. or are the ones from other stores just that much better?? Thanks peeps!!

2. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

you can get 'em at some local dojos. E-bay works, just make sure you know its EXACTLY what you want.

3. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I get all mine thru our local MA shop.

I know them well as I'm always in there dropping of info on our club for their noticeboard and buying stuff! :)

We buy all our gi's thru the club, they are custom made.

Never used Ebay, probably never will.

I like to see what I'm buying so I can choose the right "feel" - especially with weapons. If you can't handle it how do u know it is the right one for you???

Using a weapon is very personal.

You have to like how it performs for you in order that you can use it best. I'd hate to buy a bo or anything else that I couldn't swing about first to feel its balance!

4. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Good call you guys, you'd think I would know that considering everyone in most fo the weapon threads say its how you feel with the weapon, and you need one that best suits you.. hmm.. very good call indeed : P

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

It depends on what you're looking for. As with most things on E-Bay you need to do you're research. You can find some great stuff on there and some clunkers. But with careful selection you can find some great things.

As most people suggested, your local martial arts store is the place to start. Try the weapon. Hold it. See if it suits you. Also check with your instructor to see if they have any recommendations.

If you're going high end there are a number of very good retailers out there who carry more exotic and better crafted weapons. An example of this is Kris Cultery (http://www.kriscutlery.com/). They have beautiful (but very expensive blades). And they're all live (sharp). That by the way is something also to consider, if you want training or live blades. I've taken a couple good peices out of myself using live weapons.

Hope this helps,

- Matt

6. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

ouch sorry to hear, I've done the same in other circumstances and I know.. its no fun when it happens :* (

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well iget my sparring weapons from one place right now (store.yahoo.com/e-bogu) and I m pleases with what ive got and if i cant buy ill make it.
    as for live weapons I dont won of anythem at teh moment too poor but i know where to look for quality swords, knives and tomohawks.

8. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

http://www.ecmas.com/aboutecmas.htm

That is a store in Orlando man, they have a great selection and great quality.

But before you go there, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND DON'T BUY SOMETHING YOU CANT USE. I highly stress that, even I hurt myself and I know what I am doing.

9. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

hey! who are u calling a guy? :D

I'm not a bloke.
    [I'm probably the only woman here]

:D

no offence meant, just wanted you to know that we weren't all men in here...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

and yes I agree with you, I believe that buying your weapons is a very personal thing, you have to really feel comfortable with it so you can get the best out of it.......
    :love: