Weapon of Choice

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Santa Barbara, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know!!

Apparently exosuits with unibeam technology are also ileagal!

It's bizarre.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

There should be a comma there somewhere, I was merely trying to point out that you don't have to be a criminal even if you are paranoid :)

Norwegian laws is constructed so that if you use weapons for self defence, the road is short for you ending up beeing a criminal.

When you defend yourself in Norway, your responce must be propotional to the original attack, so if someone punch you and you pull a knife, you are a criminal :eek:

Most people that carry knives in Norway are either workers with knives as relevant tools for their jobs, people in national costume, celebrating our national day, a boy-scout, a hunter or a criminal afraid of other criminals.

So unless you fit into one of those categories, you will be regarded as paranoid by the averidge norwegian.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So to recap:

(1) you previously made a thread stating that it's extremely unlikely that anyone would use a traditional martial arts weapon in a self-defense situation.

(2) those of us who train in weapons overwhelmingly said "that's not the point," noting instead that it's fun and/or that it improves your ability to use improvised weapons effectively.

(3) you repeatedly ignored those responses, and the thread degenerated to the point where it had to be closed.

(4) you've now started a new thread with the intention of showing that, in fact, people don't actually ever use traditional weapons such as swords and spears for real-world self-defense.

Does anyone have the feeling that we've covered this ground already?

4. Hellfriend

Hellfriend Valued Member

It's on some points the same in France.

Farmers (criminal and paranoids) often bring knife too everywhere but it's illegal. In fact it was let at police appreciation, depending on who you are, what is it, and where you are.

Everything you use to hurt someone became a weapon in law eyes and it's worst if you can't explain why the hell you bring a knife on you to go to a party in town.
    And here, only hunters, sport shooters and criminals have guns or rifle.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I sparred with a spear for about five years. Gave me a wonderful range game to base the teep on. That or a little fixed blade knife is probably my favorite contact weapon to play or spar with although if I ever have the spare cash to throw at an SVD I'd be happy to own one.
    If it came down to defense and handguns are out of the question I'd go with a little fixed blade knife. By little I mean 4-6 inch blade, nothing huge, nothing too tiny.
    Although frankly I don't usually feel the need to carry anything. I get cut more in sparring trying to cut the guy than trying to take the knife away anyway.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Can anyone tell me what is a "Tai Chi Sword"?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. Yes. I know of this. Thanks

The Jian is a Chinese Sword.

But what IS a Tai Ji Sword?

Is there such a sword?

In actuality, does Tai JI have its "own type" of sword?

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hmm, well, if it's any help I have a friend who had their life saved by wearing chainmail under their shirt (they were coming back from a Vike event, and it's much more comfortable to wear 30lbs of chainmail than carry it along with everything else). No actual fight happened, just some intimidation, someone tried to slash at them with a knife, ruined their coat and the attacker ran off in a panic.

The only other example I can think of was during another Vike event in a town centre. After the main battle for the day a group of drunken louts were stirring up a little trouble for some people on the main street. The warband marched down fully equipped, and the situation quickly calmed down (again, no actual fight, the presence of some hefty men armed with rather large weapons simple seemed to cause the teens to think again).

10. Zacakay

Zacakay New Member

More inaginative....

Ok then... A super duper gun which shoots out bits of magic at my opponent and turns them into a tree? :)

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

12. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Bar-stool
    Bottles
    Cut-glass ashtray
    Bar table or counter (His head is going into that)
    Steel toe-capped boots
    Poolcue and pool balls.

The above are objects at hand that are usually around me within arm's reach that can be improvised into weapons at a second's notice.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think you might have a drink problem :)

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

A few weeks ago I defended my local shop keeper with my singlestick against four thugs who were attacking him. The police were actually very nice about it and the ringleader of this merry band is now in prison for racially aggrevated assault. Now you have your example. The irony is, I brought my weapons bag into the house to clean and safety check my weapons. Bad luck guys.

The Bear.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Ironically there are many accounts of individuals using swords against intruders in their homes in the news.

16. ScottUK

...and you work in Law Enforcement?

17. ScottUK

Steve runs a pub in Chelsea. ;)

18. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Ratty, what is an SVD? I googled it and wiki turned up with several definitions; I've decided it's gotta be either the viral disease in pigs, the Swedish newspaper or the Russian sniper rifle. So probably the sniper rifle. Either that or the, ah, ahem, type of birth without medical intervention, Spontaneous V Delivery. I'm really not sure.

19. ScottUK

Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunov.

Typed from memory hehe.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.