Weapon Defence

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by smithter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I can't see the video here, but with your comments, i like the concept as a training drill, if the attacker follows through with the initial attack and struggles to succeed while the defendant struggles to prevent it.

in competition, perhaps i'd like it more if the attackers were also judged and rated, and in the end they were awarded for successful attacks.

Just a thought or too.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Like the Tomiki crew

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sometimes I wonder if you've ever read your own forum signature.

Unless it's armed OAPs you're fighting, I can't see you turning the handle and popping the door before anyone got to you. What if it's the top deck?

It's good that you're trying to visualize tactics, but D+ - could do better :)

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Then someone posts a weapon defence video like the one above...

It was everything I warned against in my first post :(

Would you be happy for a training partner to stand 1' - 2' away from you, armed with a 6-8" sharp blade, then proceed to slash and stab at any target, from any angle, with any blade grip?
    If not, I'd say your martial art isn't so great at teaching you to "don't get hit".

Evva hit an important point though, the most dangerous situation is when you think you're fighting hand-to-hand until you notice your shirt is getting very damp.

4. evva

evva Valued Member

What i find strange is this whole wait there while i do the move thing thats going on.In real life the next punch is on its way while you are trying to grab or throw etc.People move about they dont stay still especially if you have just hit them.Its ok doing several strikes before the throw but at least do them so fast and with intent sothey have some hope of working in real life.
    At my place we acknowledge throws are good but in reality its the cherry on top if you can pull it off,the strikes should have done the job already.

Sorry this post relates to the competition video link.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Haha what South Bronx routes do you travel on?

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

%&$K the South Bronx, try Peckham!

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Admittedly there is only one attack (the is 1 two punch attack and a kick followed by a punch) and then it goes from there. Admittedly in a full on self defense scenario more attacks and struggling would occur.

Some of the others were slow attacks, I know my uke (which was my sensei) was throwing his punches and kicks as hard as he could.

8. Kuniku

I like this idea, we (the UK) are hosting the next event int 2013, and my sensei will be one of the main organisers, I shall suggest this to him tonight.

9. Kuniku

I appreciate that in real life more would happen, but to realistically recreate that in competition you would generally need to find untrained people to be the attackers, as self defense against someone who is trained is a different kettle of fish imo

10. Kuniku

this was something made very clear to me while watching the series "human weapon" in the episode covering the US marine combat system in the "final test" the presenters thought they were holding their own, and thought they had survived the scenario, until the instructor showed them the video back and it turns out all of the strikes they thought were just punches had been done with training knives and they had in fact been "stabbed" multiple times each and would both be dead =p

11. evva

evva Valued Member

468's are notorius round there, always aggro on that route guaranteed and at least you get a grip as to why as you obviously know the area.

12. ScottUK

You need to move if there is that much crap going on.

13. evva

evva Valued Member

Where i work and where i live are two totally different places.

14. ScottUK

Same rules apply, dude. If you are at that much risk, you need to make a change.

15. David Harrison

Says the guy from Walsall! :)

Anyway, it's his job. It seems he's employed by the bus company to beat up gang members or something :confused:

16. David Harrison

Does that mean you don't think anyone should join the police or military then?

17. evva

evva Valued Member

So many jobs carry risk but they also pay better,my choice it pays the bills.I have mates who are locksmiths doing warrants and they have to wear stab vests now as part of their personal protective equipment.

18. ScottUK

Hehe Walsall is a doddle.

I have no probs with military or police service, my friend. :)

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You can get trained people to act untrained, see the SIM day threads by JWT in the self defence forum for example. :)

Mitch

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'll cheerfully admit that the knife training I've done isn't a faithful recreation of real-life knife attacks. I'm more interested in honesty with myself than faithfulness to a real-life scenario. In other words, I object to weapon training that involves somebody standing there holding their weapon arm out while I engage in a long, elaborate counter. But I'm not necessarily interested in roleplaying actually attacks.

I realize that this leaves me less prepared for reality. But I keep coming back to a couple of themes: 1) I'm forced neither to live or work in an area with a violent crime problem. (I do currently live right outside DC, but I don't feel like I live in the concrete jungle so many people seem to describe.) And 2) I'm not prepared for drive-by shootings either. Or terrorist attack (which obviously actually happened a scant few miles from where I'm sitting). Point being that I've opted not to spend my life fixating on grim possibilities. The probability is that weapons training is never going to be more than an interesting problem-solving exercise for me. As such, it's important to me that I'm not deluding myself. Not necessarily that I'm not addressing every possible reality.

I know I'm not prepared to emerge unscathed from a dark alley with a knife-wielding opponent. And that he'd probably be carving his initials on my kidneys long before I knew what was happening. So I don't go near dark alleys.

In terms of how I spend my life, I see more value in spending it training in ways that interest and challenge me. Not necessarily in ways that faithfully recreate the most grimdark interpretation of where I live.