Weapon Defence

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by smithter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Mitch and Simon, I included the link to the organisation website to save myself having to explain what I train in to other MAP members.

The accepted meaning of self-defence on MAP is not to do with fighting, as I understand.

I believe the term was used with a different understanding on the Marbo site. Although other members have, and do, teach self-defence, I do not.

I am here as an individual, not a representative of an organisation.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. David Harrison

Again, I am going by what seem to be the accepted terms on MAP.

I personally dislike the term "martial art".

4. David Harrison

I have the insurance to assist my instructor in SD. That has not happened as of yet.

5. Simon

And yet it has you as the head.

Something somewhere doesn't make sense.

If I was a new student doing a Google search and reading this I would be very confused as to what you do actually do.

6. Simon

Yet again this site uses that very term. Surely you told them what you did when you joined?

http://www.asmaa.org.uk/print.php?news.30

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think on MAP it's fair to say it includes a range of techniques including the physical. You were clearly commenting on the physical in this thread.

Mitch

8. Mitch

A site which refers to you as pathwalkers, a group you have no interest in defending the claims of, yet you positively identify yourself with.

Mitch

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ahhh that makes more sense, still two foot away from your body is still well within arms reach, so still your saying you can move your body faster then they can move there own arm.

10. David Harrison

I could open SD classes tomorrow.

The fact that I am honest enough to say that I don't yet feel qualified to do that, and would openly tell prospective students that they could get that training elsewhere to a higher standard, that's a bad thing?

Mitch, I'm just saying that I won't publicly defend any claims as to historical lineage, because I don't have suitable documentary evidence. You have looked at the Ninjutsu boards lately, right?

11. David Harrison

Their arm has to go past mine first. It takes simultaneous controlling and positioning.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Training method - ungloved Bag work, closed fist striking, vertical fist (as your CMA real background to marbo shows), chin not tucked in shows no heavy contact sparring, shoulder leading past the hip and spine angled far from straight shows that you dont hit things regularly, and that little to no focus on posture to increase power, it also looks like your hips are angled 90 degrees away from the direction of power so again, flawed power generation.
    The dirt marks show that you practise stamp kicks in shoes to a highish level (height not ability) or that you lay the bag down and practise stamping on people.

Either way the fact you hit a bag with shoes on means
    a) You dont care about your equipment
    b) Youve spent little time with people who do use this type of equipment regularly,
    c) If the prone stamping practise is correct then you arent focusing on actual SD to any great degree.

How did I do watson?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  13. Simon

Yet both the pages we have links for make it appear that you teach self defence.

I think the reality is you don't understand, or have not been exposed to the realities of violence and when pressed you are backing away from the sites claims.

14. Mitch

And yet you publicly refer to such lineage. Claiming and refusing to discuss when challenged go against the nature of a discussion board and, well, how real life works.

Mitch

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You forgot the bow saw hanging up in the background, used to hack up the haters :p

16. David Harrison

I'll give you 2, Sherlock.

Yes, vertical fist. Yes kicking the bag with shoes on.

I'll give you a "maybe" for caring about equipment (I'd have thought the bird poop would be a bigger indication of that, but ok).

As for body position, it should be clear that I was chasing the bag as it moved from a prior punch.

I have never put it on the ground and stamped on it.

The 90 degree stance needs different methods of power generation, just as being front-on is also different from a 45 degree lead. It is all about permutations, because you never know what body position you may have to strike from. In this particular instance I was leaning from the waist, instead of shifting the hips. So yes, not optimum power generation in that particular photo, but that doesn't mean I punch like that every time.

17. David Harrison

When did I do that?

18. Mitch

You refer to it in your sig.

Mitch

19. David Harrison

Is that the same?

@Fusen: if my chin were any further down, I would not be able to see above chest height.

20. Mitch

Yes.

Mitch