Weaknesses of BJJ

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

The biggest downfall of BJJ is that it only works for you if you go for a Brazilian weekly.

Without one, i found that my gi pants would pull and rub too much and i would get so sore.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Whoo, I've been namechecked :D
    My club had us only drilling leglocks for the first two or three months and when sparring, newbies weren't allowed to use them except for the achilles lock since it's hard to do any real damage with that. If sparring with a more experienced opponent, he/ she was allowed to use most leglocks on the newbie so they learned to defend them from an early stage - quite important since they're such an integral part of the style
    Only the more experienced practitioners were allowed to use the heel hook and reverse heel hook, and that was only if they were the only two rolling at the time and if the instructor said so. After a couple of months for everyone else, the most of the other leglocks were fair game. All leglocks were used in sparring by newer students on a "get the hold, get the tap" basis, ie you sink the hold but don't apply the amount of pressure you'd usually use to get a tap, but providing the lock's there, the recipient taps. No one wants to mess around with leglocks
    This may not be how other sambo clubs did it, it's just the particular one I went to, I've not been to any other clubs

3. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Slip, you were right, it was a typo.

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Yes! :D

Just out of interest, and this is a serious question. The lack of leg locks/defences against leg locks that BJJ sometimes has, does anyone think that this effects its usefullness in self defence or is it just a weakness when it comes to MMA? I'm not sure but I would think, given the relitively few number of people who are proficient at leg locks, that it isn't really.

5. Atharel

Atharel Errant

I tend to think the latter. But leglocks could theoretically be useful in SD as well so their undue neglect would impact that.

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I've been doing BJJ longer than you (not that thats hard), and im telling you; BJJers have sub-par takedowns.

Furthermore, any BJJer with any real experience has respect for Judo and Wrestling's standup games. If you plan on competing at a high level, you'll have to crosstrain for your standup.

7. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Now there's a reasonable post!

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

More from Hanakuso.
    Try contributing something to MAP instead of just parading your panties that are still in a knot over some other thread. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  9. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

I don't blame you for being embarrassed. Less talk, more 'shut up.'

10. slipthejab

LOL! :D

You should follow your own suggestion.
    Only that your ego won't let you... seeing as it's you who came into the thread with zilch, zero, nada to contribute other than to parade your bruised ego with what you seem to think are witty comments...

But why change now your posts in this thread are representative of your overall contribution at MAP - that is zilch, zero and nada.

Try again genius. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  11. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

you are the Will Ferrel of the forum

You fail again.

So, when you oh-so-macho invited the kid to come to Hong Kong did you really expect that he would? You figured that was on for sure?

12. slipthejab

Hanakuso... champion of the dim

I'm sure you deeply wish by typing that it was somehow true. Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble yet again... but no.:p

1) Flashlock isn't a kid. He's apparently and adult... though if you've been following any of his BJJ posts you might find that rather hard to believe. But then again if you'd actually followed his posts you wouldn't be traipsing into threads spewing the stupidity you do.

2) It was an invite for Flashlock to come to our club and roll. I'm eager to see just how uber-deadly his BJJ is. Not sure why that should be so shocking for someone like yourself that alledgely has 30 years of wrestling experience. :rolleyes:

3) For BJJ comps (and other arts as well), especially the regional ones... Australia and Hong Kong are not that far apart. If it was we wouldn't see the Aussies here so often for fights with Hong Kong fighters. Perhaps you don't get around much.

3) No, I don't actually expect Flashlock to show up in Hong Kong and take up a legitimate offer. Not sure what you're experience is with BJJ but having other people come roll at your club is rather common. Flashlock will eventually get himself banned at this site like he has at so many others. No big shock there. :D

But it could be good fun to head down to the Victorian comp and roll with him there. I'm still waiting for him to post the information on it. I'm sure he'll get around to it. :rolleyes:

However I don't think he'll actually be able to back up any of his rubbish before he gets banned.

So now that it's been broken down for you perhaps you might want to actually understand what's being discussed before you jump in and look silly. :rolleyes:

13. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Actually, it is hard to believe either one of you is.

14. slipthejab

ooooooh so cutting. lol. :D

Funny because I sure seem to be able to push your buttons. :p

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Too late :D

16. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Ok, so you actually expected him to travel to Hong Kong to satisfy your curiosity? Really? You weren't just spouting off and making an ass of yourself? And you really thought that some white belt would be representative of something?

Do you get the point yet, champ?

17. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Would you like to explain your :rolleyes: And why you spell like a disabled monkey on crack?

18. slipthejab

lol.. oooh.... resorting to spelling attacks. :D
    Your buttons are still being pushed... your panties still in knots.
    You'd do better to deal with that than to playing spellchecker.

I wonder when you're actually going to contribute anything to the thread other than bruised ego-babble?

the... :rolleyes:... is because for someone who's allegedly spent 30 years wrestling you seem very confused by someone asking another to back up their 'uber-deadly' skills talk by simply taking it to the mat.:D

19. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Count yourself lucky. I haven't even gotten to your horrible grammar.

So, did you really expect him to travel to Hong Kong?

20. slipthejab

ROTFLMAO!!!

Grammar that genius! :p
    When I get around to caring what you think of my grammar or spelling I'll send you a handwritten letter sprayed with perfume since you seem so intent on flirting with me. Until then.. welcome to your party of 1. :rolleyes:

What do you think genius?:p

The only ass so far is yourself. Again - you seem more intent on flirting with me than anything relevant to the thread. :D

err.. again... if you'd followed the posts between me and Hanakuso you'd have been smart enough to gather that being a whitebelt wasn't really the issue. Your trying to argue something that no one else is. Surprise, surprise.:p

From your posts? lol... don't flatter yourself.:p

Many fighters and grapplers from Aus. do just that. Certainly most of them actually have skills and have trained and competed. Many grapplers in Hong Kong travel quite regularly to compete/fight and roll against or with other clubs... again... not sure why you find that so shocking. White belts do it as well. Why wouldn't/shouldn't they?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.