Water Combat

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Herbo, May 6, 2009.

1. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

If you want to test your fighting skills in water, try going up against a top Water Polo player. There's a story of a martial arts convention where all the MA guys are in the bar mouthing it off after the first day. There was a guy, sitting quietly at the end of the bar and he eventually said: "Are you guys here as part of the martial arts camp?" To which, the reply was, "Yeah, we sure are!" The quiet guy allegedly then said, "I could beat your best guy in a fight, in my environment." All went quiet, until someone said, "What's your environment?" The guy refused to tell them, but said that he still stood by his challenge.

They agreed to meet at the back of this huge sport facility early the next morning. The martial arts guys picked who they thought was their best all round fighter. When they met up, the quiet guy walked them through the complex until they were alongside an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Whereupon, he immediately tossed a pair of swimming trunks in the direction of the martial arts guy, took off his tracksuit, dived in the pool, and invited the other guy to join him.

To cut a longish story short, the quiet guy swam around the MA guy and played with him like a seal with a ball. He pulled him under and he pushed his head under at will. The other guy never landed a shot, and he didn't stand a chance.

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

You're absolutely right, Pugil, about water-polo players being so vicious. :D

And what choladeva mentioned about Ki training, is actually applied to doing it in cold, icy water which is an alternate/advanced method that most do not undertake, should they even be lucky enough to be presented with it.

3. ember

ember Valued Member

You mean like on the videos?

4. unknown-KJN

LOL, not exactly, but doing hyung barefoot in the snow couldn't be TOO much fun. :p

KJN Barry once told me that he nearly got drowned doing those techniques in the pounding surf. But being filmed just off San Francisco Bay, it WAS freezing cold and why halfway through that set of techniques, Kuk Sa Nim's partner was switched to KJN Sung Jin. I'm also of the understanding that doing the techniques in the waves like that was actually Mario's *brilliant* idea (Mario was the videographer, BTW). I mean, who in their right mind would dream up something like that if it meant that YOUR OWN SELF would be subjected to such frigid temperatures?

But getting back to Ki training in icy cold water, the monks would apparently use the mountain streams (which are supplied by melting snow) for this type of practice. But I find that dumping a few ice cube trays in the bathtub works pretty good if you don't have access to any mountains nearby. ;) :cool:

5. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Now you have reminded me of something! I was a DBN and out on my 3 times a week early morning (5 am) training on the beach, which I had been doing for about a year or so. There was just two of us plus the instructor. We had just done all our forms 4 times in freezing almost horizontal rain when he nodded towards the sea and asked us if we had ever seen the KSW videos. We looked at each other realising what he wanted, took off our T shirts and dived in. It was February and the air temp was I guess a few degrees below freezing. We then proceeded to go through the entire 1st dah syllabus with full take downs waist deep in the North Sea!
    My partner was going for 2nd dahn, so he went through the 2nd dahn syllabus too. It took about an hour. We were then instructed to go and meditate. Which we did for maybe 20 minutes. The amazing thing was, that we both felt warm! The instructor on the other hand, wrapped up in his coat and scarf looked freezing! LOL
    I had no idea why we did it. We were just told to and we trusted the instructor, so we did. But it taught me that I can overcome much more than I thought I could. There were no ill effects and in fact I went home feeling a huge sense of achievement.
    But no. I DONT now do that every week in winter!

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

It was an accident, wasn't planned

7. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

It was an accident, wasn't planned.

8. unknown-KJN

The first time, perhaps, but as long as they had already gotten wet, Mario encouraged them to finish up the set with the waves lapping onto them. FWIW.

9. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I still prefer the snow scenes.

10. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

Say, Unknown.....do you have any vids from the old days??? I've watched the u-tube ones that KJN gene G put out, you have any from back then that wont spill the beans on your ID?

11. unknown-KJN

Nope. All the ones I ever had were essentially the same as what KJN Gause got ahold of (I'm told another *ancient* KSW practitioner sent him some video archives and has yet to return them, but sometimes you just think someone is your "old pal" and can be trusted implicitly, right?).

12. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

BUMMER !!!! And yes it seems that friendships and loyalties are being tested all the time. I recently found out someone I thought to be a nice person wase not to be trusted with secerets!!! Heard it with my ears! no ruemer.