waste of time and money

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by medi, Oct 2, 2007.

1. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7023227.stm

Without taking away from the tragedy of losing a loved one... part of the healing process is acceptance. Mohamed Al Fayed pretty clearly has not accepted what happened.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

He's also a paranoid conspiracy theorist with far too much money and influence.

Sadly it would seem he's not the only one who hasn't accepted her death. Ten years on and we're still getting stories about the 'tragedy'. She wasn't even that amazing a person. When did we last get a story about the anniversary of Mother Theresa's death?

3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Slightly off topic I know, but about these Jurors.. They're being put on Jury Duty for 6 months... do they get paid? If so who pays them? Do they have to be unemployed to be summoned to do the jury duty of this length, or do their companies have to cope without them for 6 months? Do their employers get compensated for this?

It must be a logistical nightmare...

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Well said.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Jurors don't have to be unemployed. If you are selected for jury service then your employer is obliged to give you time off work, and you get paid by the state. I don't believe that your employer gets any compensation, but I'm not certain about that.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Maybe he'll only get 'closure' once a jury decides that it was just a tragic accident - although I suspect that he'll never truly accept it.

Of course if the jury find that D&D really WERE bumped off by MI5 then they'll probably end up having to whack Muhammed Al Fayed too, just to shut him up.

7. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

So a company loses an employee for 6 months, can't really replace them as they know the person on jury duty will want there job back after 6 months and gets no compensation. What if that person is integral to the companies performance, is heading up a major project or whatever? What if the person is effectively irreplaceable?

What if the individual is self employed, working for commission or whatever.

Generally seems to me that asking a person (or a company to let an employee) to beon jury duty for 6 months is really harsh.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think if someone is self employed they need to prove their loss of earnings and will get re-imbursed.I am pretty sure that employers don't get any compensation.

Here is some more info:
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/jury_service/index.htm

But yeah, I think it's about time to let it go.This will surely be an end to it! Generally fed up of hearing about it though!

9. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

You'd be screwed if you teach a MA.

Can you imagine having to close your club for 6 months, don't think you'd have many students to come back to.

Rob

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Aye. It's the same for anyone who has anything like that though.I imagine it's tricky for parents trying to arrange child care etc, they do get reimbursed for those costs though.Still, it's important to get a cross section of society on juries for obvious reasons.

11. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

I understand that there are ways to "dodge" jury duty under the kind of circumstances that you put, PJ, but I am not too sure of how one goes about it. Certainly in Scotland I am fairly sure that this is the case.

As for D&D: c'mon, give us all a break, 10 years to accept a car crash! I think it all stems from GB refusing to give Al Fayad a Passport!!!

12. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

I'm struggling to think of many people who would be either personally, or their employer be screwed by having an enforced 6 month Jury Duty.

Why should it take 6 months to determine whether this was a car crash or not anyway? They've had 10 years to construct a convincing case that it was anything other than an accident, how can it possibly take 6 months to review that evidence.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It may take up to 6 months,so it's dependent upon the evidence etc I suppose. Still seems like an awful lot of time and money!

14. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

I can never believe how long it takes, it's like you read about a witness being on the stand for 2 days???
    What the hell are they asking them????

Rob

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

They died. Get over it.

That's all I have to say to Mohamed Al Fayed.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yeah, right. If you thought that your son had been murdered then I'm sure that people telling you to 'get over it' would convince you just to forget about it. :rolleyes:

17. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I agree, as tragic as the death was......they.are.dead.

move on and leave them alone!

Frickin tabloids!

18. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Erm..it wasn't the tabloids that called the inquest.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No, but it is the tabloids who keep the story going, over and over and over.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So do you think that that's the only reason why an inquest is now being held? Just because the tabloids won't let the story go?