Wassup in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mo Lung, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

So, I'm off to Melbourne for a few days on Friday. Anybody have any good suggestions of schools I could drop in on? I like to visit other schools (of any style) just to see how they train and meet people.

So, any suggestions? I'll be in the city mostly, but staying in East Bentleigh, which is the **** end of nowhere by Melbourne standards. Still, you never know where I might end up, so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

It's also my birthday on Saturday, so I'll be celebrating while I'm there. Any suggestions for a good pub!? ;)

2. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I'm not in Melboune, but Happy Birthday for Sat.

Heres a drink... :D

3. yes

yes Banned Banned

hmm, I would go to Underworld gym ... but it's closed down I hear.

There's a lot of good schools to choose from - Chris Haseman's RINGS, Peter De Been's school, Dominance Jiu Jiu Jitsu, Hangar 4.. (the last 2 may be affiliates of John Will, not sure).

http://www.djj.com.au/
    http://www.bjj.com.au/clubs.html (I personally don't recommend a Machado-based school as a first choice)

I can't find the rest of the web pages, stupid google indexing pages according to the mosted visited..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  4. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Thanks VT, very decent of ya!

yes - I'm more interested in TMA really, thanks all the same. It's just a curiosity thing, you understand.

Anyone else got any places of interest to suggest?

5. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Yes go and see Simon harris, i think he is in fitzroy. he has an execellent standard of Iwama style Aikido as he is regulary in iWAMA.

6. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Got a link or a school name or something? I don't know Melbourne too well, so I'll need more info to find him.

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Heya Mo,

give me a buzz and we can work something out... 0417 303012

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

9. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Hmm, it's already Saturday so it's probably a bit late.
    This morning you missed out on Takamatsu Ryuha's Kobudo dojo in Kew.
    William Cheung, grandmaster of Wing Chun Kung Fu happens to live in Melbourne, after moving here in the 70's I think. His dojo is on Flinders Street, just a few doors short of Spring Street in the CBD. They're open pretty much every day.
    Wayne L Roy keeps a franchise of his Bujinkan dojos of the Togakure, still training at the YWCA early weeknights I believe.
    There's also a couple of good karate dojos and your usual kickboxing, shaolin style interest. A bit of Mua Tai also, lots of bogans live in Melbourne, once upon a time you could see tracksuit pants all over Lygon street and it was a sure sign of a Kung Fu practitioner, as popular among the Italian emmigre population in the 80's-90's as it were.
    Probably no more popular than the ol' 4"x2" and .303" of the Eastern suburbs.

Pubs to be seen are of course, the Esplanade Hotel, St Kilda, the George, any of the Ackland Street cafe's and not to be outdone, Brunswick street Fitzroy. This is the place to be if you like the underground community and no-nonesense venue scenes. The cafe culture is a little popularised here however, a whole suburb, almost of Ackland street atmosphere.

I live in Fitzroy myself so if you end up here you can give me a buzz on 0401487321, assuming you check in here sometime today.

10. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Back now - good trip.

Jim - thanks for the offer, but only saw your post on my return. Next time, eh?

KGirl - funny you should mention that. I did check out that place as I passed it one day. It is a good gym, but unfortunately they weren't training when I went by. Just a few guys pounding the bags.

Vanir - thanks for the tips. I'll dig this thread up again next time I go down and try some of those places.

11. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

www.aikidojo.org.au/- Try that for Quality Aikido in Melbourne, if you meet him just tell him you got the address from an Iwama uchi deshi.

12. yes

yes Banned Banned

hmm... a little off putting? :p

Attached Files:

13. gakami

gakami Valued Member

so who did you end up visiting?

14. gakami

gakami Valued Member

Can I ask why you don't recommend a Machado-based school? By the way, the Underworld Gym (while it was still open) had a very strong Machado presence there...