Was Yoda a Taoist Master ?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by soggycat, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Tiong

Tiong New Member

The term Tao isn't simply "nothingness" Lao Tzu always used parables to speak of Tao 'it seems' etc these are all indefinite

"The Tao that can be expressed is not the eternal Tao"

Tao Te Ching, "paragraph 1"

Tao is immediate and direct, in some ways this is very similar to the force, both seem to of been 'there' but soon fade into non-existance. And to a furthur extent as your posted articles points out, we do not manipulate Tao.

Mahayana Buddhism uses the concept of Samadhi a state of deep superconsciousness, if there was such a thing! Many of the Jedi go into "deep" meditation.

And as I read through this again, I soon realise I haven't really concluded! Star Wars being as big as it is I think we can only stipulate unless we got the big man himself on this very forum to clarify. There is alot out there, the net is very good at providing homes for very creative rumours as we all know. The one I hear springing up the most often is the film mentioned earlier within this thread. I think it would be a good link to follow up.

I haven't watched it but my girlfriend did, she's quite versed in philosophy (more western than eastern though) she said she saw some comparisons, obvious or not i'm not sure.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I thought he was Scottish?

3. shdw

shdw New Member

its all alchemy to me

i think he might have used taoism, but star wars is very heavily influenced by the qabbalah, but hey its all the same

4. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Kwan Jang, Ya beat me to it. Campbell was one cool cat indeed!

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It also fits very strongly with Christian, Islamic, Druidic, Wiccan, Jewish...

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

He's a webmaster in the UK.

7. serious harm

serious harm New Member

8. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

nichiren budhism

Mahayana Buddhism uses the concept of Samadhi a state of deep superconsciousness, if there was such a thing! Many of the Jedi go into "deep" meditation.

The main chant used in Nichiren Daishonin's Budhism which is a form of Mahayana Budhism is Nam myoho renge kyo_One of lucas's co writers was a nichiren Budhist who believed that this Mantra was the sound of the universe.
    This is what he meant when he talked about the force because he believed that Nam myoho Renge kyo is all encompassing and by believing in it we can make the impossible possible.

9. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Obi-wan Kenobi, is an imaginery person, as is chi (imaginery).

thats just my opinion , I'm cool with people who believe in it.

10. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

ki

11. serious harm

serious harm New Member

12. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Thanks for the link serious harm.

Good karma for you!

13. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

yoga= broken ankles worst enemy and most painful :cry:

14. gerard

gerard Valued Member

I hope you're not referring to Pranayama, brother. Anyway what sort of Yoga are you talking about that leaves you injured? :eek: :Alien:

?

15. javyn99

javyn99 New Member

Star Wars 1, er 4..whatever, was based loosely off Hidden Fortress directed by Akira Kurosawa. I have the Criterion DVD of Fortress and it even has a little interview with Lucas saying how that and Seven Samurai influenced him.

Seven Samurai is the best movie ever

BTW: cougar, yoga should never be painful. the trick is to stretch just below your pain threshold, where it still feels good but anymore would hurt. if you can't get into lotus, just do half-lotus or sit cross legged, don't kill your ankles

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  16. Mad-about-Bagua

Mad-about-Bagua Valued Member

Yoga can be dangerious if......

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/13/1041990234552.html
    "Yoga can be dangerous to some degree, especially for someone like me who doesn't know what they're doing," said Steve, who tore a thigh nerve during a particularly intense stretch. "While I've done all kinds of sports, I wasn't prepared. Everybody was doing these double flips and I tried to keep up."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/27/1088274627463.html
    The Sports Injuries Report 2004 found more than 25 per cent of people surveyed who practised yoga had been injured, prompting warnings for enthusiasts to take care.

17. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Again you must specified Yoga variations since Pranayama and Kriya are directed toward breath control and prana, visualisations, very much like Daoist techniques. The fact is that the benefits of this kind of yoga are not dangerous as this fellow member of the forum suggests when he talks about broken ankles. For instance when Yogananda passed away in the 50s the Mortuary Director of Forest Lawn Memorial-Park (U.S.) testified in a notarised letter the following:

"The absence of any visual signs of decay in the dead body of Yogananda offers the most extraordinary case in our experience." The letter continues that twenty days after Yogananda's passing, his body looked as fresh as on the day of his final exit on March 7, 1952.

So forget about broken ankles. It sounds :Alien: to me. Yoga is as safe and benefitial as having a qi shower on top of your favourite mountain.

18. javyn99

javyn99 New Member

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003...1990234552.html
    "Yoga can be dangerous to some degree, especially for someone like me who doesn't know what they're doing," said Steve, who tore a thigh nerve during a particularly intense stretch. "While I've done all kinds of sports, I wasn't prepared. Everybody was doing these double flips and I tried to keep up."

AHHH! Yoga is NOT A COMPETITIVE SPORT! If your teacher has you thinking it is, QUIT and find another. See my above post, only stretch as far as you are comfortable and keep your concentration on your breath, NOT how far you can stretch compared to the rest of the class.

Say there are 2 people in your class. One skinny guy who can easily get into the extreme stretches, and does so quickly and easily. Not concentrating on what he is doing. Then there is an overweight man, who can't stretch half as much as the flexible man, but he takes it to his COMFORTABLE limit and focuses on his breath and what he is feeling in his body. Which one do you think is actually practicing Yoga and which one do you think is benefiting?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004...8274627463.html
    The Sports Injuries Report 2004 found more than 25 per cent of people surveyed who practised yoga had been injured, prompting warnings for enthusiasts to take care.

Considering Yoga is not a "sport" I think that statistic is very biased. BTW neither of those links work

19. serious harm

serious harm New Member

Practice gently, with relaxation. Never force or strain. Personally I have never been hurt by Yoga, and I take it pretty easily and practice lightly. I don't stretch too far or breathe too hard.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  20. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Any style of Yoga that requires you to sit in uncomfortable positions, contort yourself until it hurts is inherently unhealthy.

This is where Yoga and Taoist based Qigong are in opposition, as Taoist teachings advice against any technique that involves pain , discomfort in fact anything unnatural.
    There are other styles of Yoga that require movement in fact with minimal contortion, those are probably safer.

Consider this German Medical study:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/10/19/world/9163557&sec=world

It’s healthier not to cross legs at work
    HANOVER: Office workers sitting long periods at a desk should be careful about their body posture in order to keep blood flowing properly and prevent varicose veins, German health experts advise.
    The Technicians Health Insurance group in Hanover said workers should not cross their legs while sitting at their desks.
    Instead, the legs should be kept parallel to each other and the knees bent at a 90-degree angle. The same applies to the arms and elbows.
    The thighs should also be kept at a 90-degree angle with the body. – dpa