Was Taught Kickboxing?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Oh, entirely. I don't exclude southpaw work from my training. Too many times have I been in a situation where I've dropped from a kick into right stance and needed to do something.

It's still better to train for one, though, and for kickboxing this should be regular for righties and southpaw for lefties :D

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So, it's regular - right, southpaw - left... got it! :D

But yeah that stuff we learned that knight didn't seem HKD, because of all the closed fist stuff.

What we did is do skips (not like happy skips, but fighting skips) then we added punches with them, then kicks.

Then we worked on the combos on the heavy bag I was telling you about.

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

No problem. I just worked with a Hapkido stylist this evening, and we learned a lot from each other. Take advantage of the instruction you're getting; too many times instructors and students get stuck in a rut of how things are "supposed" to be done, and lose sight of "what is and isn't effective". It's always good to suppliment your curricula, and I think you found that out tonite.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

What I see is that all the instructors are different. (My Master is too)

They all have a certain way of doing things, which is very good, cause I learn different aspects and whatnot.

And they like to mix up training to, like training in different ways, and do different things.

I like that very much.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So I did learn a basic Kickboxing combo?

6. Basically, yes

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm happy now. :)

I am learning great Hapkido, and now I got to learn a Kickboxing combo. :)

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

this kinda sticks out.... why? surely punching is the first thing you should be learning, not kicking?

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Because in Hapkido, we're open handed, and me and other white belts haven't done punching yet.

I saw some other belts using some closed fist punching. But not like we were doing that night.

10. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

strangely enuff ikken hiatsu, a lot of martial arts dont teach a lot of punching , i.e. definitely not boxing styles.
    some do but many dont.
    Korpy is lucky to be taught that so far.

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yep, I'm lucky for having great instructors.