Was my Jujitsu school a 'McDojo'?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Reakt, May 14, 2006.

1. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

After my recent thread I am starting to consider it, this is why.

I think the closest to tradition you get when it comes to the class I was in was bowing in and out of the door. I dont know if Jujitsu is that kind of MA but there was no relaxation or spiritualisation of any kind. After I broke my collar bone Sensei made frequent jokes about how I shuffled along the floor when I did it, like I was limping when in fact if I walked properly I could feel the bones in my shoulder grinding together, so I chose not to. The joking went on pretty much forever until I quit, got tedious after a while. Didnt really have any respect or discipline for many people either.

Another thing I noticed, apart from me, my friend and a few other randomers, EVERYONE who goes regularly is a Brown belt. If I remember correctly their should be about 5 blackbelts now and another four who have just reached brown belt 2, Black coming next, is this normal?

Its hard to explain anything else. The Sensei just didnt make you feel comfortable, often made people the butt of jokes, told people they were wimps because they didnt want to do a certain thing and overall it was a very unprofessional way of teaching the Martial Art, like he didnt treat the art of Jujitsu with respect.

I never considered it before but are any of these symptoms of a 'McDojo'?

2. nonsense

nonsense Valued Member

you didnt give me enough info for me to conclude whether your dojo is a mcdojo, but surely, it is a bad one. You are supposed to train hard, but also have fun in your classes, enjoying training in MA. By your post, you are in no means enoying it. Leave ASAP.
    Hope you enjoy MA experience later....

3. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Well how long have these "regulars" been attending?
    Do you think that you are being charged too much?
    Even though i havent taken jujitsu im pretty sure they have a bit of meditation....

4. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Half of the time I didnt really enjoy it no, I did leave many months ago as well.

It was about £3.50 per session every monday and thursday in a community centre.

Me too, or at least something about the Martial Art. There was never anything about the art itself, or its backround it was just constant exercise and practicing the techniques for the belts, no spirit behind the training.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My advice would be to look at one or two other schools and decide for yourself if the club you went to at first was worthwhile.

6. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

not a mcdojo
    quite the opposite to be honest