Was just pointed out to this article

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by HappyAiki, May 9, 2016.

1. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oh wow. Just wow. What a tool.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Bites won't cause that kind of infection anywhere other than the hands and feet because it's infection of the tendon sheathe that causes that effect.
    Also, if you are somehow able to try to bite me while I do an RNC, I'm crossfacing you so bad. You can go to sleep easy or you can go to sleep real hard.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That guy is living in a dream world.

Had he actually conducted some honest testing of his ideas, he would have been duely surprised.

Those photos are frankly laughable as is the smug, irritating and misguided article.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm pretty sure I saw a video one time where a guy showed that a bite isn't a good counter to the RNC because you can actually overcome the power of the bite by pulling your arm hard into the mouth.
    Can't find the video though.

6. Ben Gash CLF

I remember a discussion about defence against dogs and the consensus was indeed to push into the bite.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, if you can push into the temporomandibular joint then the jaw can't close. Always better to push into bites than pull away and leave a chunk of skin behind.

8. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

For me it is just a matter of: You bite my leg when I have you in an arm ba, I am going to rip your arm off. I get an annoying pain in my leg for a week, you get a busted arm for life. Not to mention that if you are wearing jeans the bite is even less troublesome. Anyway, yeah, people who want to sell merchandise have no interested in actually practicing every idea intensively because they might be proven wrong.

Bas Rutten had a talk with Joe Rogan where they talked about something similar. I think it was eye pokes when someone has you in a rear naked choke hold.
    I will try to find the link.

EDIT:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_oBd5DENk"]"Street Karate" with Bas Rutten (from Joe Rogan Experience #335) - YouTube[/ame]

Around 6 min mark.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Done this for real. Can confirm it does work.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is just classic rock/paper/scissors or top trumps approach to fighting.
    You do "x" and I do "y".
    When fighting doesn't work like that.
    Biting's just another tool. It can work in some of the situations in that article. Or it can't. Much like a jab or any other technique.
    It doesn't "trump" MMA or grappling.
    Personally I'd say that if your only option to getting out of side control or juji is to bite then your grappling needs some work not your chewing.
    With a bit of training you mighty be the person on top rather than the prson on the bottom. :)

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

First off the rnc bite was really funny.

Second very few people know the defense to a bite

Third. In grade school I was in a tussle, the kid would not let up. I bit his arm so hard he still has the scar today. A bite although disgusting to do is an awesome tool to have in your bag of fancy techniques. In many of the scenarios jessie showed it could work.

12. Ben Gash CLF

My old BJJ coach has a bite scar on his abdomen he's like "yeah, I really made him pay for that".
    I was once bitten in a fight, it was distracting, that's all (indeed I'd even forgotten about it until just now).
    I have also bitten in a fight, wasn't that helpful.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I bit somebody who had me in a headlock once. I bit them because I didn't want to wait for them to get tired enough that I could break the headlock, and we were fighting so I wasn't going to play the waiting game. Worked pretty well for me xD

I also think it's kind of weird that I've been bitten enough to know that you push into the bite . . . . .

14. Ben Gash CLF

Schoolboy headlock is one of the few positions you can bite out of because you can attack the axilliary nerve or the nipple. However it's also ridiculously easy to grapple out of with minimal skill.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Not when you're all tangled up in a wall of sandbags you knocked over tackling the person xD

It was the first thing that had come to mind man, give me a break, lol

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

They always work on the walking dead.

Seriously though a quick search on the interweb will show dozens of less than distracting human bites.

Not every one has a high pain tolerance level, besides often times a quick distraction is all you need. I am also a fan of the eye poke. Got one once. It got infected and required me to look like a pirate for a few days.

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If someone is desperate enough to foolishly open their mouth in that situation they will be eating through a straw or PEG afterwards.

18. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Never been a fan of Jesse Enkamp's views myself, this one is worse than most.

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

20. Ben Gash CLF

A)adrenaline massively increases pain tolerance. Most people don't realise they've been stabbed, never mind bitten.
    B)people with low pain tolerance generally don't attack you
    C)We are talking about trained techniques. Joe public isn't going to throw on a triangle choke.