Want to learn.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Takemaru-san, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Takemaru-san

Takemaru-san New Member

I have always wanted to learn Jeet kun do but its hard to find any shcools.what should i do? :confused:

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Have a look around your local area and see what martial arts classes there are around. Consider taking a couple of different ones to get your standup, clinch and ground games trained. Then read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and consider how the principles contained therein can be applied to your continued training.
    Don't try to learn it from a book or DVD because you just can't
    Good luck :)

3. Takemaru-san

Takemaru-san New Member

Thanks,Ill try that. :)

4. Maidenfan

Maidenfan New Member

Ah, good call since, you know, you can tell whether he himself can learn from a video or book.... Oh thats right, I forgot, it must be impossible...

5. Takemaru-san

Takemaru-san New Member

I agree,it is almost impossible to learn JKD from a book.My freind tried and hes a walking disaster!

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Unfortunately for those of us that live outside of movieland, it is
    You might (I stress might) be able to get some moves down from a video but all the time you're not training with a qualified instructor there's no way you'll know if you're doing it right, plus you won't be able to apply them if you haven't trained with a partner in a class environment. Have a look through the myriad of "teaching yourself" threads.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate of books and DVDs as a supplement to your learning - they can give you new ideas to try out in class etc, but that's as far as they go

7. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Well, look to attend seminars around the country. some of the material presented in a one day or two day session can last you for a good while.

8. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

agree with that, might also try to do private lesson every now and then