want to hear your opinion on using a punching bag

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

At our school, we do a lot of punching on the heavy bag as well. We work jabs and hooks and 'boxing style punches' a lot as well as open hand stuff. As for "Taekwondo punching", I personally think it can be done... but great attention must be paid to the elbow and wrist alignment (i.e. foreknuckles and wrist lined up in straight line from shoulder but with a slight bend in the elbow). It's a good way to develop power, especially for getting ready to slug the big guys through their hogos. Some people like this idea, some don't. (No disrespect intended towards anyone who doesn't do punching on the heavy bag)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Instead of learning the positioning and the range requirements of various "boxing" punches, martial artists then try to extend them. In doing so, they end up with punches that rob them of power.

When their punches don't work, they try to hit harder to compensate for a poor understanding of range and body mechanics. There is a way to generate straight force from a circular motion, it requires some very specific body positioning, which boxers do.

While punching you use the entire body, not just your arms... as you do when using weapons. You strike with the entire bodyweight not just arm strength. That is correct boxing punching. True, much of your power is generated in the hips... but that's not always the case.... there is a certain "triangle" in boxing of creating power in your punches.(Ideally the boxing punch consists of a synchronization between arm, leg, and trunk)
    The leg muscles development and coordinating it with trunk and arm action is the most effective way to increase your punching power.... and in class we usually use the heavy bag working combos of both punches and kicks.

Nobody mentioned whether we are referring to punching the bags with gloves or bare knuckled??
    With the extra weight and padding of gloves you can hit with more power -- with light gloves or none at all... the faster the punches.

EDIT .. seems there was a problem somewhere between me and MAP server and this post of mine posted several times!! ... sorry 'bout that Yodel lay hee hoo!!!! :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

wow is theres some echo in hear :D

hehe KC I noticed the server went down about the same time :confused:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, good point. during the training sessions at the club we don't use gloves, but when i train at the gym i sometimes use them.

and one more thing, WHEN do u include the pads and the punching bag in the training? after reading some posts i have come to the clonclusion that some clubs start using them very early. i don't know if that is the wisest thing to do, for u have to learn the technique first to be able to apply it full power.

5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I have seen the rewards of throwing countless kicks in the air to perfect "technique"...it's called joint pain...give me a bag (or neryo as a substitute) anyday of the week...

I love my bag...never train at home (or away) without it...

My favorite exercise is to put some tape targets on the bag or around the bag...I use the wavemaster...with the water/sand base option...and I have a ton of fun when I work around the bag at different angles...trying to hit the tape target...kinda like a speedball that doesn't SPRING back so darn fast...

I use handwraps if I'm going "all out" for a long period of time...but, if I'm just working speed and motion...I don't wear handwraps...

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hasn't anyone told u that u r ''not'' supposed to ''throw'' them??? :D :D :D

7. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Touche' !

I knew I could count on you buddy!

Bulldog

8. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

what's a wavemaster?

9. Disciple

Disciple New Member

It is a bag type. KNown for it's water fillable core. increases it's weight. Both Standing and hanging versions.

10. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

I own a Wavemaster as use it regularly, I find it a good workout as you can use the whole bag for all different types of kicks.

But I also use a hanging back, what i do is I swing the bag and as it comes back i throw a side kick at it. Depending how u hit it, u know if your kick is coming out straight or not!

Both are good for all round work out on Stamina.

Tae Kwon

11. OdDs

OdDs New Member

In reply to the original post, we dont train with heavy bags as it is not seen to be all that good for technique when it comes to punching. However i think this is bad in some ways. Unless you train in hitting somthing hard and heavy (50kg+) when it comes to hitting someone in a 'real life' situation you'll be lucky to get away with out hurting youself.

The Taekwondo punch is made up of so many elements, you can get to black belt and not be half way there at develping an effective punch. The last minuite twist and reaction force, locking out of the back supporting leg etc. Ive trained in boxing and with boxers and those big guys you see lamping heavy bags around arnt as tough as they seem. Its not the big hooks that knock people out, its the sharp linear punches such as those used in Taekwondo that really do the damage.

And yes i am new to these Forums so, hi everyone :)

12. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Hi and welcome OdDs...glad to have you here!

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Of course they are good for your techniques. They give you an idea of what its like to punch something full speed and power.

14. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Heavy bags can be good for all techniques but I think that we have to remember to be explosive and put power into the bag and not try to swing it.

The reason that people complain about doing techniques incorrectly is that beginners (or people that don't do the techniques correctly) attempt to hit bags to try to move them, instead of penatrating. This can sometimes turn their techniques into pushing as opposed to penetrating with explosiveness. The more you can move the bag does not always translate into I have more power.

A lot of the more "TKD/Martial arts" straight punches are designed to stop once they have penetrated 2-3 inches and not follow through the target like a boxer putting his whole weight into a hook punch. The boxing punches will depend more on how much speed and mass a boxer can put into his punch. While a TKD punch depends more on reaction force and the body working together to keep balance within the body and deliver energy deep down inside of the target, tearing vital organs and what not.

While I am not saying that most boxers can't beat most TKD guys because of how they punch. I think that it has to do with how they train. Boxers usually train their bodies hard and they train to knock people out. Most TKD schools train to score points in tournaments, and hardly ever feel contact. So, I think training regiments have a lot to do with the whole Boxing vs. TKD thing.

I personally like the BOB torso. I like to work on targeting and it helps me to visualize an oponent better than a round bag. I just wish it had legs so I could work on low kicks too, I might have to construct something for that. Anyone else have opinions on BOB?

15. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

BOB RULES!

I just wish that they made him with a smile...:)

16. TKD Girl

TKD Girl New Member

I think they are great! I know they sure help me improve my kicks, not so much punchs, like most people said target pads work best for punchs but the bag works great for all kinds of kicks.