want to get muscles.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by nitraiders, Nov 22, 2008.

1. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

I really want to get triceps and feel stronger without the need to lift weights, because i still want to be able to stay tall.

What exercises should i do to train my arm muscles + chest?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Why do you think lifting weights will make you shrink?:confused:

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Using those criteria, your only options I can think of are steroids and they aren't really recommended for young folks. You might remain tall, but other bits may shrink.

There's also always meditation.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. Moi

5. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

LOL !

my bits are small enough already, and i don't want to be a raging freak :bang:

also i'm only in my teens.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

its cos if i use my dads home gym set, i will stump myself from growth cos i am a young chap. hopefully i would grow 13cm to 185 cm (you convert it into feet, i cannot be bothered).

7. righty

righty Valued Member

What do you mean by 'stump'?

8. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

by stump, i meant delaying my growth spurt.

i wanna be yao ming man!

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

There's no truth to that.

10. Moi

How old are you? Don't believe everything you've heard about lifting weights

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Where did you get the idea that lifting weights will make you shrink? Look at Lou Ferrigno http://www.musclememory.com/images/recent/FerrignoLou_1.jpg he's about 6ft 4".

If you still dont want to lift weights then your going to have to do body weight exercises. For bigger triceps do dips, and then do pull ups to so yo dont get a muscle imbalance. Eat lots of protein and sleep lots.

How old are you? I've been lifting since I was 14-15 and I'm now 5ft 10 - 5ft 11 and that was going large compund lifts like squats. I cant see how using dumbells to increas the size of your arms would affect your height at all.

12. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

+1 to whats been said above. As long as you stick to a responsible routine you shouldn't have any problems. The thing about lifting when you are younger is that because you are still growing you don't want to add on SLABS of muscle that don't allow your bones to stretch. I mean A LOT of muscle. like the kind you would get with steroids. It DOESN'T mean you should avoid the gym at all costs. If you lift to add strength and definition (sticking with the 8-10 rep range, sets of 3 with moderately heavy weights) then you won't be damaging your skeletal structure at all. Of course, talk to a doctor first to make sure that you are where you need to be for your age anyways, and a doctor can give you more advice.

13. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It's a sad fact that a whole gamut of myths and superstitions have grown up surrounding health and fitness. The belief that lifting weights will stunt your growth or shrink you in any way is right up there with spot reduction and "toning".

Lifting weights won't make you less tall in any way whatsoever.

I'd strongly advise you get yourself comfy and make a start at having a good read through this thread:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71400

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Actually lifting heavy weights is more likely to promote growth, your bones will grow stronger and your body will be releasing more growth hormone, especially when paired with plenty of sleep.

I always suspected the height thing came about because there's a lot of short bodybuilders, though this has more to do with the psychological effect of being short and lifting than the physiological effect on height of lifting weights.

15. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

What happened to the rest of your body?

16. nitraiders

nitraiders Fatality?

i've got a six pack (which i'm proud of :woo: ) and pretty strong calf muscles due to training in tkd for about 4-5 years.

other than that, thanks for the advice everyone !

17. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Shoulders? Back? Neck? Quads? Hamstrings?

It's not all about the vanity muscles.

18. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

+1 to that! if you are gonna spend the time in the gym, you should work on all your muscles for overall fitness. You are gonna look pretty silly with awesome triceps and puny biceps and tiny forearms. Your chest will be nice and defined, while your back is pure nothing. Get that nice and defined upper half...and have scrawny legs....

all those things look really silly. not just to people that do exercise, but to the average person that sees you and can't really put a finger on what looks odd about you.

19. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

You probably do have a six pack, that dosen't mean your strong. I doubt your even close to strong in any lift, especially since you've never touched a weight in your life by the sounds of it.

All that is required to have a six pack is a low body fat. Unfortunatly it seems you dont want any real help as you wont awnser any questions, so oh if you want to stay skinny like a little girl but with the sixx pakz that's up to you.

However bear in mind you are weak and if you do martial arts that's not a good thing.

Ill try asking for the third time. How old are you?

20. righty

righty Valued Member

Just for the fun of it, I'll answer for him.

He's fourteen. And a black belt.

Public profiles are just the bomb.