Want to buy good Chinese straight sword

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by SanYuan, Jul 13, 2004.

1. SanYuan

SanYuan New Member

Anyone know where to get a good chinese straight sword (taiji sword) for practice. Must not be a flexible sword, just simple and strong?

2. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

take a look at winglam.com. They have a lot of swords, i have a strong, non-flexible combat steel sword i got from them. Very nice.

3. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

yeah, wle.com does some nice stuff, but then again if you are looking from the UK, you could look at gwangung, kungfusupply (I think their retail section is called Wushu Direct now.), or even the Paul Chen stuff if you want a quality blade. If you're going US, then Sifu Lam's gear rocks, but you could also try martialartsmart.com.

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I have ordered from gwangung twice now and have to say that there stuff IMO is cheap dangourous tourist tat. Don't bother with them because the quality is laughable but you do get what you pay for I suppose.

PS Notice how they don't show close up pics on there site or catalogue? Now I know why ;)

5. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

I've had nothing but decent kit from Gwangung when I've ordered, I love training with my heavy 9 section whip, and the only gripe I've ever had was that the tips of one of my Emei Piercers were snapped off. I could bitch at them or grind it, but I have resigned myself to using that one for blocks only. It limits your movements more whilst sparring and makes you think more about the next move.

6. SanYuan

SanYuan New Member

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Hehe...posted in the wrong place...sorry about that.

9. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

I'd recommend the Paul Chen practical straight sword. It's a descent sword with the proper amount of flex for a traditional wen jian. Here is a review of it:

http://www.taichifinder.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=486

If money is no object (the website I reference is a bit high, but these are still $500+ swords), I'd recommend the Ch'ing Swordhttp://www.swordsofhonor.com/chingsword.html or the Ming Sword http://www.swordsofhonor.com/mingsword.html, both of which are from the Paul Chen collection. The welded pattern in the blade is beautiful and the sword are probably some of the most accurate I've seen (actually much higher quality than pieces from the respective periods due to modern metallurgy, IMHO).

There is also the Damascus Tai Chi Sword (named for where the steel comes from) which is a bit less, but the two I’ve seen of this were much less in quality than the Ch’ing or Ming swords (I guess you get what you pay for, eh?) http://www.swordsofhonor.com/dataichisw.html

The best way to buy these are just search for the best price since they all come from Hanwei. Quality should be consistent with their name. I've even seen the Practical Tai Chi Swords on EBay for $50-60.

What type of straight sword training are you taking? My knowledge is a bit limited with the sword and I only know two forms that I believe are specific to Northern Shaolin.

-Sting

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  10. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

Technically, the Damascus T'aiji as you call it is not just named because of the type of steel that is used for the blade (that being Damascus steel), because nowadays most damascus steel doesn't actually come from Damascus, and it's also called damascus steel because of the type of acid etching on the blade.

11. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Ahh, good catch! I was in a hurry when I wrote that and didn't realize what I'd said. You're absolutely right, "Damascus Steel" is a process. It's a folding and hardening process used to produce a more durable blade. I’m not sure about the acid etching part though, since if it’s really folded steel, the patterns should come from the folding process.

-Sting

12. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

On a further note, Paul's damascus steel jian comes highly recommended from me, this is the one blade from his portfolio that I would love to own, and am starting to save up for as soon as I get shifts sorted out. (Other than possibly the Kami set, mmmmmmmm.....!)

13. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

this is some of the information i have found on the subject. not all of it is going to be accurate, but be sure to ask questions at any rate before purchase. there are some things you ought to be aware of (if you're not already, that is)

I would avoid trusting a site that uses the term "blood groove", as these things to not exist. the correct term is "fuller" in english. i find it difficult to recommend a retailer that does not understand the correct terminology for the things they sell.

furthermore, the cheap end paul chen practicall tai chi sword is well known for having low quality and often loose handle fittings. the only workaround i have read is to take the hilt off and secure it with epoxy.

"cheap" is and will always be cheap. "funcional", "live", and "battle ready" are just salesman talk for people who don't understand what is important.

damascus is used to describe a steel, a method of making the blade, to sell an inferior product, etc. it has become salesman language in many places so take care when dealing with this sales point. another point on steel, never touch stainless, it can shatter just by swinging it around a bit if you're unlucky. and most 'real' steels have names like 1050, 1075, C2, R5 and so on. terms like carbon steel apply to an increasingly wide range of steels. "combat steel" can mean absolutely anything and "wushu steel" is always the flexible stuff. "spring steel" can be used to refer to the flexible stuff, anything made from old springs, and spring tempered steels, all of which are different things, if memory serves.

still, that said, some people have nothing but good things to say about even the cheapest of swords and i'm sure they have good reason. it might be an idea to get a wooden waster for practice, but that is purely circumstancial.

i wont try to tell you what to do, just offering some opinions and insights on the subject. this is just some information i have gathered over the last year or so, and some of it is likely to be incorrect, but there are several alarm points to think of before making any purchases.

after all that blathering, the only advice i can offer that i know is absolutely true is this:
    Make sure you are happy with what you get, this is by far the most important point here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004