want a broadsword - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by NUKKY, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I rechecked my source on the burning method of fitting the grip to the tang. Jim Hrisoulas, the Complete Bladesmith, forging your way to perfection. It appears this is done after the final hardening and tempering. He says to wrap a wet piece of leather around the base of the blade to limit heat transfer up into the blade and set the blade into a Vice grip for stability. Then heat the tang to blue-black (not red hot) and push up onto the tang. Repeat the action and reheat as necessary until it fits all the way. Wear heavy gloves. Do it outdoors, there will be a lot of smoke. Exotic hardwoods can have irritating fumes. Ivory, stag antler, or horn will be destroyed by this process. When fully fitted, douse the wood in water to prevent further burning, and allow the tang to air-cool.

The pictures of this process in the book show a very clean and even tang. This is often not the case with Chinese imports, the tangs are somewhat irregular. So results may vary.

It also occurs to me that with the slightly curved tang typical of a dao, results may vary.

2. Flying Crane

Double post

3. Jamez

Jamez New Member

The pictures were perfect..! Exactly what I needed to see. Thank you again. Im also going to look into the book.

Flying Crane likes this.
  4. Flying Crane

Just wondering if you have had a chance to get started yet?

5. Jamez

Jamez New Member

I have not had any time to start. But looking forward to doing it soon.

Flying Crane likes this.