Wanna know why most WC is considered a joke? Here's why.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Infrazael, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59355

Enjoy

Not for the faint of heart.

This isn't to say that Wing Chun cannot be good, or useful, or powerful, or whatever.

This is to show that apparently, not even people within the SAME MARTIAL ART SYSTEM can agree on the FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE/DELIVERY SYSTEM of their martial art!!!

If that's not disturbing, I don't know what is!!!

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*blink*
    ....*blink**blink*
    .....*goes back to sleep*

3. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Alice oh i mean WC in wonderland, or just a load of.............

4. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

I'm sure I could easily find people on different forums having basically the same argument over MMA, JKD, BJJ, or any other martial art. Wing Chun is just more noticeable because it's popularity went from zero to sixty in a short amount of time with really little way to test who was and who wasn't teaching actual Wing Chun, and little explanation of why Yip Man's students were all doing different things. Had Wing Chun gained popularity more slowly over a period of years, or if some overall governing body existed to qualify new teachers alot of the hubub surrounding the legitimacy of Wing Chun would have been avoided.

And the same thing is really noticeable in JKD too with people arguing over interpretations of things Lee said in one book or another while either not noticing or caring that he didn't really write any book. The Tao of Jeet Kune Do and Bruce Lee's Fighting Method were all collections of his notes put together in such a way to make a book. There's no guarantee that the reason two things contradicted each other wasn't because they were written at different times when Lee was under completely different mentalities. And like with Wing Chun, JKD went from zero to sixty basically over night, and alot of people have completely ignored the most important aspect of JKD: it's not a style, just a philosophy. And like with Wing Chun, if it had grown slowly, or some governing body was established alot of the political bs in JKD would have been avoided too.

Hell, the only reason that a general consensus can be reached regarding BJJ and MMA (and it's a general consensus, not a perfect consensus) is because the whole of both sports revolve around pressure testing; so it isn't being tested you can find out really quick what is and isn't a good aspect of the style. But, even with in the MMA/BJJ world there is still plenty of disagreement. People who argue that the gogoplata is or isn't worth teaching. Arguments about should kickboxing, wrestling, or BJJ be emphasized (or should conditioning take the lime light, and what aspect of conditioning?), and so on.

Every martial art or martial sport has internal conflicts, it simply cannot be avoided. It's just more noticeable in Wing Chun because of it's rapid growth and relative lack of pressure testing. That's just the way it is, and it really cannot be avoided.

5. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

It really winds me up when chunners criticize the techniques that other chunners do. Every school is different, there are different ways of training things. Wing chun is more of a concept art (ie there are techniques, but it is more about finding your own path). I found similarities when I started learning BJJ - there would be techniques that would be done differently by practitioners, but again, you made it work for you

There are chunners I dont particularly like (more because they try to delude their students into thinking wing chun can beat anything), but slagging them off on a forum doesnt really do much, especially for the reputation of wing chun

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Can you please get a hair cut:)

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Lol there's a reason why it's called 'WC'...WC is another word for toilet...

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

sure, once you get a ponytail down to your waist :)

wigs don't count :evil:

9. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Actually WC is not a word....
    But if you are talking about the abbreviation WC - it stands for water closet, just as MMA could stand for mad mens asses...

:cool:

10. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah should have said abbreviation, sorry..lol XD

11. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

Now, I hope you don't actually hate Wing Chun, Mrs. Iron Style Kung Fu.

12. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

no im fairly certain it's because most wing chun schools are crap. not just more noticeable.

13. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

I hope that that's not a serious response.

14. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

Oh he is being serious.

15. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

guess what a simple solution,

get enough chunners to compete in MMA and winning. "in an ideal world"

ppl will shut up.

unfortunately, still to this day many chunners think chi sao can kick ppl ass and trains it non-stop...and get fat because they are just standing there all day rolling their arms.

16. Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu Valued Member

I know a couple Wing Chun schools, and they're all pretty open and direct that Chi Sao is not real fighting. And MMA is a horrible yard stick for the effectiveness of a style.

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

What would you consider a better yard stick?

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Survival training! Life is not a game/sport!

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

And how do you test survival training so that you know it works? That is a really vague answer.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Well I guess you survive but we haven't heard the reasoning behind the logic just yet as the master got banned. We'll find out tomorrow or the next day with any luck if he comes back. If not I'll ask next tine I'm in the shelter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.