Wang Xiang Zhai

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by runcai, Jun 30, 2014.

1. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Any thought on the writing of Wang Xiang Zhai?

2. ned

ned Valued Member

You started the thread-what are your thoughts ? Perhaps some background information or a short bibliography would be relevant here and some insight into your own interest.

3. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Sorry, you mean you do not know Wang Xiangzhai? He was the founder of Yiquan in the 1920's, and in the 1940's it was called Dachengquan. Nothing personal, just like to compare notes with others if they have read his writings or practice Zhan Zhuang, etc.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

In a nutshell-

He wrote some really great stuff,he wrote some things which were somewhat biased and self promoting,he wrote some things which dissed his supposed good friends,and he wrote things which he later changed his mind about.

OK,there's my thoughts. What are yours?

5. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Thanks, I think his earliest work is the way of yiquan (意拳正轨), did you find any changes or improvement in the aspect of his zhan Zhuang (站桩)compare to his later writing?

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Is this the same man as Wang Xuanjie??

7. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Wang Xuanjie was a student of Wang Xiangzhai.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is this Hannibal's Wang?

9. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Wang Xuanjie (王选杰,1936-2000)

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I don't know if I'm happy, or disappointed, that there was no picture attached to this post!! :Alien:

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You would need a REALLY big monitor

12. runcai

runcai Valued Member

According to the Hong Kong Yiquan Society, Leung Tsz Pang (1900-1974) a student of Wang Xiang Zhai was one of the teachers of Bruce Lee.

13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

So is it the HK Yiquan Society we have to thank for Bruce Lee's superb acting talent? ;)

14. runcai

runcai Valued Member

No, it is their chairman Mr Fok Chun Wan, Ian.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I don't know about specific writings but he changed his ideas about ch'i as well as standing (ZZ) over time. Some of his students didn't.

As to I Ch'uan we've discussed this on MAP before.Lee knew and hung around various teachers of various things and picked up odds and ends but didn't get any depth instruction in other people's stuff because he wasn't around them enough and/or was not a formal student. Was this study in Hong Kong or Seattle? Lee did have a brief fascination with the "internal" systems but never went far in them,tho' he practiced his Wu form from his dad daily.

To claim someone as student either he had to be a formal student or spent an awful lot of time with you and got a chunk of stuff from you.If Lee was his formal student is there the teacher/student photo? Does this association give dates,length of time spent,maybe also what Lee learned? That's the info needed to accept such a claim. And some corroboration from outside.

16. runcai

runcai Valued Member

The first form in Wing Chun is done in a static stance for half an hour in the traditional way, maybe Lee tried to make some connections. Yiquan and Wing Chun are well known in Hong Kong even before Lee's movies, and JDK never take off in a big way in Hong Kong.

17. runcai

runcai Valued Member

For people interested to know a bit about Zhan Zhuang in Yiquan, the Hong Kong Yi Quan Society has posted an English article by Karel Koshuba.