Walnut Creek, CA Silat schools

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Red1Storm, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

Hello,

I have been trying to find a Silat school in or near Walnut Creek, CA and I think that I have found one. This is the web site:

http://www.pentjaksilatserak.com/index.htm

I tryed to E-mial the teacher but have not gotten a response and it has been quite a while.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this school or the teacher. If anyone knows about any other school near Walnut Creek, CA, please help.

Thanks.

2. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

He has a video out on YouTube: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLSOnC0EAM"]Silat Academy of Martial Science - YouTube[/ame]
    Apparently he's one of the top guys in this school:
    http://www.serak.com/Home/VDT_Acade..._Camp_Report/feb_2008_serakr_camp_report.html

Good luck in your search.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

Thanks for the video. Do you know how to contact him for calss location and times?

4. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

No, but if you can't reach him, then maybe contact that main school through their email address and try to reach him from there. Good luck.

5. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

I finaly got a response from the teacher!!! It turned out that something funkey was happening to his E-mail. Thank you Tuankaki for your help. I would not have been able to reach him without your advice.

6. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

Guru Ray Graham is a terrific and affable Serak instructor!

(Guru Ray has the further benefit of receiving his tutelage to initial guru levels from the modest hands of Tuankaki so his advice was not merely random help. ;) )

7. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

I have had the opportunity to train with Guru Ray on different occasions. He is an excellent instructor and knows his material very well. While I am no longer with VDT, I still recommend Guru Ray Graham.
    Good to see you Monyet!:D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  8. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Ah, so - I have not been keeping up on people's whereabouts. Are you planning on joining us in Las Vegas in August?

www.santacruzsilat.com/Silat2008Flyer.pdf

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

If you're looking for Silat in the LA area you couldn't do better than to look up Cliff Stewart. He's been everywhere, done everything and makes his living making his Silat work as a bodyguard for high-risk clients. He's a damned good teacher and a really fine human being.

When Massad Ayoob says

a wise person takes notice.

10. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

In his case, he was looking for something in his home town, about 400 miles away from Cliff.

I made those kinds of journeys (350 - 3000 miles) for the better part of a decade, but I figure I'm just a little nutty that way.

11. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

tuankaki,
    Yes, my training partner Matt and I will try to be there in Las Vegas.
    It'll be great to meet all of you.

12. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

I was wondering how long it would take to get good at Silat if I went to class once a week and practice one hour a day at home.

13. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hmmm, the better you get the longer it takes to be good:)

Think of it a jigsaw puzzle that always has the last piece missing. You manage to find that last piece and then you get a bigger puzzle.

What I mean is you will initialy be taught some great techniques that can be put into practice relatively quickly, and the more you learn how to fit these together the more you will be amazed at how everything fits together.

Hope I'm making sense? Perhaps otheres can put it more eloquently.

My advice, don't worry about time:)

14. Red1Storm

Red1Storm New Member

That makes sense. I like what you said about it being like a puzzle.

If anyone else has an idea I would be happy to hear them.

15. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

... because the warrior spirit once woken, doesn't operate once a week in class with a daily hour supplement at home basis, but it's a worthy start. Good luck on your quest Red1Storm!