Wait for the facts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Andy Murray, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Kaith Rustaz

Kaith Rustaz New Member

On June 14th, at about 8pm (EST) something on our server caused CPU load to climb through the roof. Normally running between .8 and 1.1 it was in the 700 range when our datacenter managed to fight their way in and reboot it. We weren't able to isolate the cause.

This could be someone stupidly targeting martial arts sites, or an issue with vb. When y'all find out more I'd be interested.

Good luck and congrats on getting MAP back up fast.
    And its good to see E-Budo back as well.

:)

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Thanks Bob.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I'm not sure.

I had a really old link in an email which is what I followed.

4. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

So whats with the hairspray?

David

5. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

sounds pretty similar to what we experienced. Ours certainly broke 200-300 CPU usage instead of the usual 1-2ish.

We are investigating this - not sure why someone would target martial arts sites though!

And thanks for your support Bob - It's really good to see different sites helping each other. :D

6. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Hi Everyone,

I don't believe e-budo was hacked. What happened was the domain name went into a redemption period. I paid the fees, but I could not get into Network Solutions unless I had the passwords. John Lindsey was in Iraq and his username and passwords were in Houston. I then had to get his drivers license and a copy of his utility bill, because the address that Network Solutions had was an old one. I faxed all the information and was able to change the passwords. That was on Thursday. E-Budo is now back up. If I can help in any way, please let me know. I know how it feels not being able to log on to a favorite forum :)

7. hongkongfuey

Likewise George - thanks.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Could it be that the MAP Server just needs a reboot.

If I had a £pound for every server problem that I have solved with a reboot, I'd be very well off!

Just a thought - and maybe one that's already been had by others.

Cheers. :)

9. hongkongfuey

Been there and done that already Johhny. It definitely looks like a deliberate hack, and possibly one that has affected other sites.

We are currently working on tracing back some of the IP addresses used, and also talking to other sites that have been affected by this so we can pool our information.

Once we have the name and address of those responsible, I'll just post their details here. I'm sure there are plenty of MAP members keen to pay them a friendly visit! ;)

10. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Here here *bares teeth*

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Here here *rolls up sleeves, bares biceps*

(hey, I can dream)

12. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

here here

here here opens a fresh can of beans

13. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

If they are in my area I will send my ma crew after them and we will stop them from hacking permanently.

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Do you need any help from us I.T. MAPers with your investigations or have you got it covered?

Cheers. :)

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Bwahaha, Let me know when your ready, I'll bring the digital camera...

16. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Fangs and claws out and ready...

17. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

Acording to ZDnet they found the guy in Russia.

18. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Got a link? I can't find anything there.

19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hmmm.... I don't see anything there that has anything to do with what happened here.