Wado-ryu / Shotokan ? Whats the diffenrences?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Peter_UK, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Peter_UK

Peter_UK Valued Member

I study wado-ryu karate so whats different about it and shotokan ? Shotokans the most famous, so is shotokan the best?

2. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

for you, maybe shotokan is better, maybe wado. in theory though, wado evolved from shoto, so it is more "advanced", a very broad word, than shotokan. there just happen to be more shotokan schools since it is a more general version of japanese karate.

if you really want something effective, grab a stick, learn how to use it, and don't drink excessively.

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Dont worry about names or different packages. It really comes down to who teaches and attends at your club.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Shotokan means 'Shoto's Club'. Shoto being the pen-name of the founder, an Okinawan teacher named Gichin Funakoshi (1868-1957). It's probably the most popular style worldwide. Shotokan uses low, long stances and develops a lot of power. It stresses the need for kime or 'focus', this being the point where physical and mental power is concentrated during a technique. All the muscles in the body tense during focus, to make the technique as powerful as possible.

Hironori Ohtsuka's (1892-1982) Wadu Ryu ('way of peace school') was developed in Japan (1939), and not in Okinawa. Ohtsuka was Funakashi's senior student and a well known martial artist in his own right. He added parts of his own martial arts knowledge to karate, producing a graceful, fast style that relied rather more than other styles, on fast, evasive movements. Wadu Ryu avoids using force against force and its techniques are very fast, and performed with a snapping action.

Cheers. :)

5. Peter_UK

Peter_UK Valued Member

thanks

ok thanks i was jus wondering :D

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

No problem matey.

I hope it helped. :)

7. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

Wado vs Shotokan

Hi, i'm from Holland. I also study wado ryu. In Holland (netherlands) wado ryu is most famous. In Europe, Shotokan is most famous. I can tell you, Shotokan is a very good system, but it doesn't beat Wado Ryu. Ask your Sensei;)

You must see this as commerce. Nike is better in commerce and when you try the shoes they walk perfectly. But if you wear adidas you would suddenly feel the difference even if nike is better promoted.

Hope have made things clear..
    Bye, AJ www.wado-ryu-karate.tk
    see this website for explanations of all techniques and videos of all techniques: kata, sanbon gumite, ohyo gumite, kihon gumite, tanto dori, idori, kihon waza (basic techniques) etc..:)

8. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

it really can't be said that any one style is best universally. there might be a best style for you, because there is a style that probably suits u best. some styles do have certain advantages over each other, and its from that u determine what's best for you. for example, a great number of chinese styles specialize in dodging and redirecting an opponents technique, but as a downside, a great deal of these techniques don't work half as well against an opponent as fast or faster than you. shotokan karate has some of the best technique precision of any style, yet some (not all, just some) require strength the practitioner may not have over his opponent. my style, isshinryu karate, its a very basic style with low kicks. its advantage is its vertical punch has great speed and versatility and its a very practical style, yet its downer is that due to its use of low kicks, not many isshinryu students train to have the skill of higher kicks that other styles do. so yea, there is a best style for you, shotokan may or may not be it, but whatever it is, it may not be the best style for someone else.

9. Peter_UK

Peter_UK Valued Member

ok thanks animefreak

yea cheers for the info there :D i appreciate the time you took to write that long explanation so thanks it helped :D

10. animefreak88

no problem, glad to help :)

11. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Is Wado Ryu, in not using force against force, the most similar of karate styles to the principles of aikido ?

i.e
    Will it lend itself to Aikido Techniques better than say Shotokan ? Or is there another type of Karate better suited for that ?

12. animefreak88

i wouldn't know too much about that. if it helps though, some teachers teach techniques outside their style, especially techniques that redirect momentum. for example, my style is more based on strikes to the opponent while upright, but at my school, we learn redirecting momentum and using the opponents force against them and we learn some grappling on the ground techniques.

13. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Ah cool, that in your Isshin ryu Karate

14. Eero

Eero Valued Member

The problem with the Shotokan is that it's founder did karate just the opposite way. :rolleyes:

15. whaledawg2

whaledawg2 Runaway love machine

Yes he was as unfocused in order to make the technique as weak as possible. Very clever.

In the future if your going to make random accusations at least qualify them with why you think that, where you got your information.

16. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Hey, calm down! You need some anger management. :cry: If you don't believe in that well known fact, I can't do anything to convince you. Karate history is very controversial matter. READ THE BOOKS!

17. whaledawg2

whaledawg2 Runaway love machine

So your saying this well known fact is controversial? That doesn't sound like a well known fact, it's a well known theory. And you can't convince me if you don't offer any evidence for your point or even references where I could find the evidence myself.

As a matter of fact, inflamatory statements with no substantiating evidence followed by attacking the messanger who points out the flaws in you logic....sounds alot like trolling to me.

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Well, Ohtsuka did study jiu-jitsu which emploued strikes, so I'm thinking the principles of aikido and jiu-jitsu slipped into his style. I've been taught many sorts of turning techniques, where you would just lean back, no blocking, and then let your opponent step forward, where you would then elbow him. It was quite interesting that wado, and some other types like ****o and shorin, focused a lot on actual movement than just linear arm blocks.

19. Zertz

Zertz New Member

The answer is clearly 42. Um, I'm in Shotokan and we used deep stances for training and to get thins down. I think the general idea is learn something big then its easy to learn small. I know next to nothing about wado ryu.

20. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Dude you should chill out. :D We can start to argue about logic if you want, but I see no reason for such a stupid behaviour. Let's be friends instead. :cool:

The real reason I don't want to point out my sources is that I don't want to start a useless list of messages where we could argue about how reliable they are.

Some sources I trust include a Finnish scholar Timo Klemola and some other high ranking Finnish instructors.

International scholars like Patrick McCarthy.

But I also think that it is not fair to blame them for my opinions. I can always remember something wrong etc so that is also one of the reasons why I don't want to refer to any living person when telling MY opinions.

It is actually not that hard to find proper books about MA history. Just forget about the normal "Karate from white belt to black belt" manuals that are just useless and contain much false information.