vs hard kicker

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Oct 5, 2013.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Hey guys after going to one of my teammates fights last night there's always that one guy on the card who has VERY good and sound leg kicks.....that guy was my teammates opponent and just from watching the fight actually in person you see how hard and damaging them leg kicks are. Besides anything on the fight, Im coming here to see what others like to do against someone they know has hard leg kicks and technically sound also (good set ups)

Not so much looking for a technique like check,or catch but what are some strategies or concepts to follow for being successful in this situation?
    (will be talking to my coach Monday for sure)

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If I know the guy has big leg kicks I don't stand around in leg kick range and if I am in range, I'm always ready to either check the kick or to get out of the way.

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If you have a big ring/mat, be fast on your feet and "dance" a lot. If he's busy moving to keep up with you, it will be harder for him to kick you. You see this kind of strategy in UFC/MMA a lot. If you can, dig up vids of the recent Silva v Weidman match and study how Weidman dealt with Silva's huge kicking range. Hope this helps. :)

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Always be off the centre line. If you are not in his direct line of target the power is reduced. If you have good boxing skills, close the distance el pronto. Interrupting his combinations/set-ups is also a good idea.

Seems a bit obvious but "don't stay in the kicking range" is probably the best strategy.

5. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

If history is any indicator, I like to drag them between narrowly spaced desks and place them in standing judo choke holds 'till they turn blue.

6. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Can you explain more on this? Any examples?

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Here's a simple video that explains Chadderz off centre principle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVhm5-LI_M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrTKmz9izXiHU7XCnXcLnqQ"]EP #01 - 420 strategy (Combat Essentials) - YouTube[/ame]

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I dont think there is a quick,fool proof way. You just hAve to get sharp on timing and anticipation and learn from experience.
    The lead leg should also be held strong and in a manner that anticipates a leg attack as oppose to just limp or acting as if you never knew a leg attack would happen then trying to do something at the last minute. Obviously not so stiff so as to hinder you ability to move.

When you are walking, so to speak, in a thai boxing manner your lead leg should be twitching and tapping in anticipation to do something like defend a leg kick.
    There are also various ways to put them off by causing them more damage than you as you check their kick

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'd think one to be always ready and willing to go into tie-up, clinch - and hopeful good with throws.

Of course if he's such a strong kicker, that might open up a can of nasty worms in itself

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Sweep the leg!

11. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

ok well first off if you are tall getting your legs "out of the way" will be a lil more difficult than for us short folk. so first and i speak from a short guys perspective the first thing i would do is stay in close i dont have a good reach so i cant reach him effectively with a jab that he will respect so while in close hammer him with clean hooks and uppercuts, hit him with a lot of body shots that will reduce some of the power on the kicks and of course as everyone has said solid footwork and checking them will also do very well, but if your looking for something to throw at him i would say interupt the leg kick with a 2-3-2 (cross hook cross) or if your Fighting MMA the takedown is there

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

To echo what others have said; stay out of his kicking range and be prepared to move. You either have a choice to stay on the outside of kicking range or to close the gap, the best approach is stay on the outside and time your entry - try entering when your opponent has missed with a kick. Don't square up with your opponent or stand right in front of him, the video that Simon posted is a good example of using angles to close the gap. Here's another video that might help too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EvtwN384sM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EvtwN384sM[/ame]

Another trick you could try too (its one that we use in Boxing) is called pivoting. This allows you to get around your opponent more efficiently, Anderson Silva did a DVD called Boxing for MMA which explains how Boxing footwork techniques can be used in martial arts that favor a square stance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCo2eo4WBRo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCo2eo4WBRo[/ame]

13. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Your just gna have to get better! Fight more train harder lose , win and learn
    A hard kicker = do this..
    Just doesn't work , what if the hard kicker is a counter fighter, pressure fighter, technical fighter etc

Then you deal with it and come accross a hard puncher etc

There are problems with learning all sports and you have to get experience, seek to learn from the best and put the training in,

14. MSNS

MSNS New Member

A good kicker likes fighting in kicking range, so I would put a lot of forward pressure on him to keep him moving backwards. It is very hard to kick when moving backwards. Also, when he kicks, you can "step in" on his kicks and throw punches. This will mess up his timing, balance, and take away his power. Also, fighters are usually vulnerable when kicking, so you will probably land some good blows.

15. daggers

daggers Valued Member

What if the kicker is waiting for you to box and kicks to your ribs when you do as u suggest?

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Improve your conditioning and kick him harder! :)

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There's no hard and fast rules, true, but there are high percentage and low percentage strategies that you can use against different types of fighters. I don't see the harm in highlighting some of the higher percentage ones.