voice fax modem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Late for dinner, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have just purchased a Dynamode usb fax voice modem for my office. It has a conextant chip set and is advertised as being usable with Windows XP and Vista. I am running WIndows XP service pack 3 as the OS.

Big problem. I can install the drivers (it's a HCF modem) and it shows as being installed and ready to go. When a fax or call comes the message comes on and then the secondary software (faxtalk commnicator) shuts off without taking a message. I received one fax when I installed it and since then nothing comes through.

I have used FaxTalk for years satisfactorily with my previous xp based office pc. I looked about on the web and it seems that the conextant chipset does not work with xp. I find that odd. Anyone used a usb fax/voice modem and have any idea of why this is not working for me? I usually use linux but my secretary has a hard enough time with windows and is terrified of moving in that direction. Any help in getting the modem working would really be appreciated.

Thanks

LFD

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hi, LFD.

Although I use an Apple computer, I had a similar problem a few years back with an older laptop, while traveling in a part of the world that wasn't set up for wireless (I had to use a USB modem and dial-up service to connect to the internet).

It seems like such a simple thing, but maybe you should check your port settings (or any programs that have access to manipulate the port settings). This would explain why you were able to get that first message, but all the subsequent calls have failed to connect with your fax/modem software.

Good Luck getting it to work like it's supposed to! :cool:

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Does the fax/modem work with Linux? If it does then use Linux. Windows XP sp3 flaked out on me when I was installing a digital camera. Left me with a permanent BSOD until I moved to Linux full time.

If your secretary is scared of Linux then introduce her to it gently. Put together a little training course. Make her PC dual boot until she's done the course and spend some time getting her clued up on how a Linux desktop works. Then wipe Windows XP. Use a distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. or some other end user orientated distro. I'm assuming your secretary won't actually have to maintain the PC. So there shouldn't really be a problem.

I'll have a look around and seep if I can figure out why your modem doesn't work.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter