Vital books in the jkd library

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Emil, May 10, 2007.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Please add to this list. This will hopefully become part of the beginners thread that I am working on.

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do
    Bruce Lee: Commentaries on the Martial Way
    Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Vol 1: Self-Defense Techniques
    Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Vol 2. Basic Training
    Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Vol 3. Skill In Techniques
    Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Vol 4. Advanced Techniques
    Bruce Lee: Jeet Kune Do
    Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing The Human Body - John Little
    Bruce Lee: Artist of Life - John Little
    The Tao of Gung Fu: A Study in the Way of Chinese Martial Art - John Little
    The Straight Lead - Terry Tom
    JKD Principles of a Complete Fighter - Ron Balicki
    JKD- Hardcore Training & Strategies Guide - Larry Hartsell
    JKD- Conditioning & Grappling Methods - Larry Hartsell
    Jeet Kune Do, Vol. 1: Entering To Trapping To Grappling - Larry Hartsell
    JKD Conversations - Jose Fraguas
    The Way Of No Way: Solving The Jeet Kune Do Riddle - Jerry Beasley
    Jeet Kune Do: Its Concepts and Philosophies - Paul Vunak
    BOOK: Jeet Kune Do Kickboxing - Chris Kent and Tim Tackett
    Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do: The Textbook - Chris Kent and Tim Tackett

Any more to add?

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

"Warrior Within"- john little
    "The Unfettered Mind"-takuan soho
    "Zen in Martial Arts"- joe hyams

3. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Valued Member

It's not daily increase, but daily decrease that counts :p

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you need to gather the knowledge first before you can eliminate it :p :p :D

5. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Valued Member

Point taken :cool:

But still, I don't think all of the above-mentioned are vital. Personally, I'd rather read as close to the original source as I can, and still there are so many things to watch out for, such as the text not being time-lined, causing contradictions within the same chapter. :confused:

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't see Dan Inosanto's book on JKD on that list. I think it's out of print. But in terms of a first-hand account of JKD's inception, it's a good read. Maybe also Linda Lee Cadwell's Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew. It's a biography, but obviously a fair amount of it is about the original thinking behind and development of JKD. That's probably out of print too though.

7. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Added to the list. I don't know why I left it out :ban:

Edit: damn! I forgot I can't edt that post anymore. Anyway, here is the title - Jeet Kune Do: The Art & Philosophy of Bruce Lee

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Not a "how to" type textbook, but an excellent book on Lee's development of Jun Fan in his early years in the States is "Bruce Lee:Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do".

Written by his first student, Jesse Glover, it's pretty good at showing how and why Lee went in the direction(s) he did at that stage.It's probably OOP. I think I picked it up in the mid-late 70's.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  9. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Whoooo!!!!Thread stickified. thanks Sever!

10. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I've not heard of that book. I'll have to track it down. I have a skill for finding old out of print books :D

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I have another book of Glover's, I think the title is "Bruce Lee's Non-Classical Gung Fu".This is a workbook, drills and such.It has a cover pix of Lee w/a 30-06 in his hand and a sidearm on his hip.

12. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Yes, that makes up the bulk of Jesse's teaching I believe. The majority of seminars are on that very subject.

13. gj5940

gj5940 Valued Member

The Dragon and the Tiger vol's 1-3-Yimm lee
    Jeet Kune Do- Bruce Lee's commentaries on the martial way-Little

The first book gives you amazing insight to the young Bruce's life when he first meets James Yimm Lee and Ed Parker and all the legends.

The second book is the accompanying book to the Tao of jkd it gives you more details on training and moves that Bruce used.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

although im somewhat the book/dvd minimalist as noted in another thread a few books that have proven valuable were.

1. dan inosanto:the man,the teacher,the artist by perry william kelley. this is an excellent book about the efforts of dan inosanto toward jeet kund do and martial arts in general.
    2. martial arts america by bob orlando. this book reads as if it were written by a jkd student. does excellent job of looking at the martial arts and what needs to change.
    3. the art of war by sun tzu. this book should be in any martial arts collection as the strategies are relevant to fighting reguardless of the era. timeless and practical reading.
    4. how to master bruce lees fighting system by joe lewis. honestly ive never read this. other students in jkd class have mentioned the book a fair number of times. might be worth looking into.

the only book i feel should not be in a jkd library mentioned here is the straight lead by terri tom. her explinations are flawed and that know-it-all kind of attitude made it difficult for me to read. didnt care for her remarks about other jkd instructors one bit.

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I disagree. On the whole, the book was very informative. I don't think that her personal views should affect people's view on the book.

Em

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i also agree, up until chapter 10, then she gets political

17. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

have to agree with g-bells(y-town) that in the 'straight lead' the book delves into the very politics that cause so many problems in jkd today. it was not just the politics there. her disrespect for other jkd instructors did little to impress me.

the bigger problem with terri tom had little to do with some technical flaws in her explinations. not the forementioned politics. there were personal views which brought about greater concerns. what i felt the book aluded to was a rather fixed impression of what jkd is and was.

this is not supposed to be jun fan or old-school jkd. looking into the roots of the art is benificial. keeping things as they were makes jkd no more than just another style. when jkd becomes that we should pack our training gear and move on.

for jeet kune do to continue existing as it was meant to involves evolution and personal reflection. this is supposed to be a living and growing martial art not a dead set of traditions. which is exactly opposite from what that book suggested a least in my opinion.

18. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Hi, ya'll, first post!

Question - Isn't Lee's famous, "In memory of a once fluid man, crammed and distorted by the classical mess," and other statements of his, "political?"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  19. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

No serious JKD'ist should be going through life without studying the works and philosophy of the man who statred it all - Wang Xiang Zhai. It's almost unthinkable that Bruce Lee hadn't read Wang Xiang Zhai, as he, and Yiquan, were already famous in Hong Kong. Bruce Lee's philosophy is almost identical, but Wang also has a door way onto some of the useful things from the past.

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i believe it's more philosophical