Visual website for the bible...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

http://www.bibviz.com/

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

dear god!

hilariously awesome, and awe-inspiring. thanks for sharing.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So having randomly clicked and received this

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Now when was this revoked, decided against, ignored?

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

A sort of Bible debugger? :evil:

5. Moi

?

Attached Files:

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

7. Giovanni

who said i don't kill people that work on saturday. bwahh ha ha ha ha. with my hands! <-- which is why they're registered as lethal weapons

oh wait, does sabbath mean saturday or sunday. damn, can't remember.

8. Moi

So we're allowed to pick and choose which words to follow. I'm speaking from a countries perspective here, not as individuals.
    I can remember when a Sunday was a day where everything was shut. I want those days back. Praise The Lord!

9. Giovanni

that's interesting, i also remember days when things closed on sundays and christian holidays too. but then all these non-christians bought up many convenience stores, gas stations, etc., so now everything is open on sundays and christian holidays--just another win for multiculturalism and the free market.

10. Moi

That's what happened here but now it's pretty much just another day. I can remember pubs shutting in Wales on a Sunday.
    It was a day to rest & then the retail giants moved in

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep. I also remember when the Christmas season began in December. Now stores put up signs and decorations and start their radio advertising campaigns in October. :eek:

Anyway, that visual Bible thing is complicated. I'm going to have to play with it for a long time to understand what it's really matching.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A lot of it unfortunately is taken out of context. The first thing I clicked...

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/oldabe.html

This is actually taken out of context. Genesis 11:26 says "After Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran." He didn't have triplets, so it doesn't really specifically say who was born when. Abram is most likely listed first as he is the most famous of the three. Terah's father was actually named Nahor, so Nahor was most likely the firstborn son. He actually married Haran's daughter so it's possible Haran could be the older one too. Haran died before his father but no ages are listed for either Haran or Nahor.

I clicked another one just for the heck of it and got this...

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/cando.html

Again, completely out of context. For the first part, these were the men of Judah trying to drive out the people living in the plains, not God. They just said "the Lord was with them", meaning that they sincerely believed they were doing God's work at the time, not that God was literally standing there with them.

The second part is actually in reference to Jesus, not God. Jesus went to his "own country" and was unable to perform "mighty work" (miracles) on the people due to their lack of faith in him and God.

As for the Hebrews verse, since God is considered omnipotent according to Christian faith, he literally cannot lie because if he says something it is so.

Interesting idea and all, but the problem with taking bits piecemeal and not reading everything in context is you get a convoluted idea of what is actually being said.

The Old Testament is essentially a history lesson, and doesn't really apply to what Christianity today is. It's basically there to show the lineage of Jesus and explain why he had to sacrifice his life which in turn got rid of a lot of the Old Testament ways and restrictions. This is actually addressed in Mark 2:27-28 where the Pharisees got outraged when Jesus' followers started picking corn to eat on the sabbath:

"And he (Jesus) said unto them (The Pharisees), The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath."

13. aikiMac

That was my suspicion due to the incredible number of lines. Thanks for checking. :)

And also in the Book of Acts when the first generation of Christians made a habit of meeting on "resurrection day" -- Sunday -- in addition to their Saturday synagogue schedule. When they got kicked out of the synagogues (also recounted in Acts), Sunday defaulted into the main church day.

14. panderso

panderso Valued Member

I think things like this are great tools. Although a lot of it is taken out of context, like Kuma said, this sort of resource can help start conversations about how the Bible is very different than (and I'd say much more than) a history textbook.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

For a fiction novel you think they would have proof read it first.

16. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

The New Testament is full of instances of Jesus saying, "Your religion tells you this, but now I tell you something else." It happens over and over again. A lot of atheists like to claim there is something two-faced about Christians not observing every rule of the Old Testament, but the truth is that Jesus himself is at odds with the Old Testament on multiple occasions, including specifically the rules about the Sabbath (Luke 6:1-11)

17. Kave

Kave Lunatic

So the ten commandments are not relevant to modern day Christians, or only the ones that don't meld with modern morality?
    Modern Christians should instead look to the New Testament, there is much to learn about morality in the New Testament:

18. aikiMac

You appear to be reading it like you would a cook book. I really don't see very many Christians reading it that way.

19. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I don't see very many Christians reading it.

20. aikiMac

LOL! :D That too, but anyway, in my experience those who read it like a cookbook would probably be marginalized even amongst Christians. For that reason, criticisms and mockery based on such a reading have little to no traction, I think. For me, anyway, they make as much sense as division by zero. :confused: