Viruses

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Maverick, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Why did God (of the Christian flavour) create these, or allow them to be created? To my knowledge they cause only hassle, disease and death to human beings.

2. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Aikimac would probably point you to Genesis. We're not supposed to be living in a blissful paradise right now.

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Eve's got a lot to answer for

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!

God loves everything equally. Man is always falling into the trap of hubris. Satan is the worst character in the Bible, and for the best reason of all: he exhibits the one trait that is the basis of all crime. Hubris. In fact, hubris is itself a crime, although nearly everyone has forgotten this fact. The Bible calls hubris "pride," but the word the Greeks used – hubris – is a far better term.

Hubris is a grandiose self-conception that reduces other people to things. Being things, they have no rights; they can be trampled on without guilt. Out of the Seven Deadly Sins – Pride, Avarice/Greed, Envy, Wrath/Anger, Lust, Gluttony and Sloth – the first five involve devaluing the other person into a thing. The reason the last two don't involve devaluing others is because they aren't directed at them; they're directed toward the self.

5. Maverick

Maverick New Member

....right. But why create viruses, and create them unable to worship him.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Maybe this is more of man's hubris... maybe viruses do worship him.. just maybe not in a sense that man percieves as 'worship'. I don't know that God necessarily creates all living things to worship him. If that's the case... maybe viruses fit some different category than say humans do. Maybe the term worship as man tends to perceive it has limited his view of what can be considered 'worship' - viruses obviously don't have churches or build alters and can't speak to mumble prayers... so maybe there is something they do that is worship in their own way... lol.

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I doubt it. Viruses don't have brains. But I like the intepretation thing..it's what every religious person falls back on in debates like this.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Probably they exist for the same reason weeds grow in gardens. And yes, the reason for that is in Genesis.

I blame Adam.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  9. nzric

Of course, I bet a shark praises the lord when he chomps down on a surfer's legs.

And hey, I think we should all get sick. What's our single life compared to all the billions of little Ebola worshippers that we're giving life to?

10. aikiMac

Well, if you don't like this world, you could always go build your own world. :Angel:

11. nzric

You've been watching Hitchhikers Guide haven't you (I noticed they left out the Babel Fish explanation in the new movie).

Either that or George Bush speeches ;) (it's 'dissemble', not 'disassemble', dagnamit!!!!!)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  12. aikiMac

Actually, no. I got the underlying thought from the "Robotech" book series. A crew was lost in space. They had no idea where they were. There was nothing around them. The officer in charge ordered the chief scientist to "fashion me a world" so that they would be somewhere.

That, plus, to complain about the makeup of the world strikes me as ugly pride. We're not in a position to complain about the existence of such-and-such. Your shark comment was probably a joke and I took it as such but like all jokes it is built on something that we have all felt at some point. That joke was built on a feeling of pride.

I try to avoid George Bush speeches. ;)

13. nzric

Not pride, just taking slipthejab's notions to the logical conclusion.

And it's not complaining about the world. To do that would be to struggle against the Tao, man, which is self-defeating.

And I don't listen to many of the speeches, I just like the highlights into the brain of the most powerful man in the planet http://www.dubyaspeak.com/freshdubya.phtml

14. aikiMac

The first part -- agreed. :D
    The second part made me laugh out loud! "You know, vote for me, I promise violence." Well hello, that's why I did not vote for him!

"Catapult the propaganda" ? Heh heh heh! I shouldn't laugh. This is a serious matter because he is, arguably, the most powerful man on the planet. It's also way off topic.