Villaris/Ussdbreakoffs

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flyingleopard, Aug 30, 2005.

1. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

why would a bb test need to be 12 hours or a couple of days?

2. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

Their black belt test are 5-6 hours long and mattera just bows you in and leaves the 4th degrees run the test not mattera.

3. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

i don't know what the tests are like for black belts for sure. but honestly, 5 or 6 hours sounds A LOT better than testing for 12hrs or more.

that's kind of rude of him to just bow to you, leave, and have the other ranking black belts to test you. i would have thought that he'd help out in some part other than bow to you and give you the rank when the test is done.

4. fightingninja2

fightingninja2 New Member

It is realy rude fighting monk but thats how ussd operates It's very corporate in my opinion. All the money goes to the top district managers and mattera and taylor and the chiefs get!@##$$

If you want to pay $185 a month for a brown belt to teach you be my guest.

5. FightingMonk2k3

i rather pass on paying that amount for 1 stupid rank training. i'll get my black belt somewhere else. i'm currently doing fine at the place at now, thanks. the instructors i have, don't care too much about the $$ but more about the training.

i mean, don't get me wrong, the $$ situation is tough for some people when systems want over $130/month for forced contracted training. thankfully i don't have to deal w/ forced contracted training anymore.

6. fightingninja2

fightingninja2 New Member

If you train at charles maaters ussd run away fast now. :bang:

7. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Actually, out here, it is a 'Survivor''s Test according to New England Kenpo/Kempo tradition. When I made black belt in 1977 with Gm. Villari, the tests were scheduled for an 8 hour day and there were some casualties and students flunked these tests. I guess this was kind of passed on from our lineage. SGM. S. George Pesare (who taught Prof. Nick Cerio and in turn GM. Fred Villari) has his three day test that is a test from Hell BUT here's the method to his madness so to speak. Unlike when I was at Villari's in the 70's your Chief Instructor and studio would sponser you for the test. Unless you trained at his headquarters in Dedham, Ma., he never saw you move until that day. Now, he may agree or not agree with his chief instructor who put you up, therefore, some passed, some failed, some got an 'honorary' in which it mean't until they came back and made up the portion of the test they were weak on successfully to get their shodan. The long and intense test with much hardcore physical contact was to see what you were made of.

In SGM. Pesare's test, he knew your abilites prior to putting you up, the test, therefore is a test of HEART as he referred to it, based on this saying. 'The measure of a man's/woman's toughness is not how much they can dish out BUT how much they can take.' For anyone can dish out a beating, it's to fall and rise and overcome that makes the person! He is concerned with pure survival in street situations and as a cop, so am I. Sure, he has an idea from his hardcore training classes and underbelt testing whether his students have heart to a point BUT nothing attests to it more than passing this three day marathon of pain and endurance-it's like the old 'rough & tumble' Kajukenbo days. He still tests this way today. With respect, Joe Shuras

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  8. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

A little off topic, did anyone goto the fred villari seminar last week?
    He promoted 4 people to 9th and 3 people to 8th.

9. FightingMonk2k3

can't say that i have. where was it? did he ever pass that 9th degree black belt to 10th degree black belt yet? i know he had a 9th degree black belt when i was training w/ his system from summer of 1995 to summer of 1999.

10. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

Where at?

11. FightingMonk2k3

i trained at the Scarborough, Maine location. the closest location to me now is San Diego. i'm not sure if i want to go back to Shaolin Kempo though. the style i'm working with now, is working out very well for me. a lot better than the Shaolin Kempo system.

12. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

I know what you mean.
    I found the system lacking practical application in a real fighting scenario.

13. FightingMonk2k3

honestly, i've seen a lot of styles are lacking practical application in their training.

some of the material i was taught w/ the Shaolin-Kempo system, i could use easily w/ practical fighting application. but a lot of it, wouldn't work because theres always the fact that the person may be extremely bigger than you or something may go wrong when you're trying to get through the "technique" on the person.

14. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Every style has their impractical techniques, some techniques are just pieced together moves so there is a somewhat effective way to teach concepts in a fluid manner. Honestly, think about any system, how many techniques would actually be executed from beginning to end as taught...not many likely. They work well when your partner at the gym is playing nicely, but in the chaos of a fight technique and strategy has to continually change as the fight does.

15. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

True, but if I am going to practice somthing a thousand times I want it to be something that will work, not just some conditioning kick and punch drill. :yeleyes:
    I would never use dms 1-21 in a fight :mad: They are useless in my opinion.

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

a front kick to the solar plexus (DM6) is useless? I've seen it done in the Octagon! that proves everything! haha

17. Red J

Red J New Member

To further David's point how about a side kick (7) or roundhouse (8,9). I don't think the purpose of the combinations is to use it as prescribed on the street (that point has been made many times already) but to teach certain principles and techniques. If you break it all down there are moves from every combination that are useful, either on their own or combined with whatever the situation calls for.

18. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

It sounds as though you are taking the technique(s) too literally...it's not about the beginning to end technique, it's about the bits and pieces that make it up...take the concept, not the literal front to back technique.

19. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

True that the techniques can be broken down and grafted to fit any scenario but the way you practice is what you will you use on the street. No one will be able to use the technique that you know is there without practicing it with resistance and hard contact.

Example. Knowing the grappling techniques exist wiythin the system won't help when being grabbed and slammed. The same goes for kicking and punching.

We train our systems in a fashion to learn the technique which all systems do but we also need to learn to apply them with a non complying opponent.

20. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

sdm 6

I used shaolin defense move #6 in a fight before. it was pratical, and it would have worked but.....the story goes like this, so back in the day (middle school/jr.high)I was on the school bus. there was a friend having a bad day and i decided that was a good time to aggervate him. it escalated and we both jumped out of the seat. i thought he was going to hit me so i threw 2 quick jabs to the face. i realized that i needed a change it tactics. so i threw out shaolin dm #6 with my right leg. if it was my left leg it would have been sweet. my left leg was placed on the front part of the wheel well. so i slipped and fell into the seat. but i won the fight....

but this is about sdm 6. like i said, if i had realized the situation i was in i would have used the left leg to kick instead of the right.