villaris taking over ussd?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by kickingfist, May 19, 2006.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    I am posting today so I will say:

You might want to read the thread and see the links, many of what you are asking about, are here on/in this thread.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64642
    Gary

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

I was with FVSSD back in the mid 80s into the early 90s, things were seemingly different back then. The simple difference, as I see it, is that the FVSSD system was more of a fighting style and USSD is more of a forms based art. As far as physical differences go, USSD has made some changes/modifications of the original material, some good, some bad ... IMO.

No, I haven't seen the 'White to Black' video series and it wasn't available when I was coming up through the ranks with FVSSD.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi you got here quick and I just got back to post the thread. LOL
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64642

Again,
    Gary

4. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I have them. The production value is good. Some of the Master's teach techniques that will work, and some teach crazy things that won't. Even FV does stuff on there. Not a bad video.

5. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

USSD on the East Coast is something Im somewhat familiar with. I was an assistant instructor for awhile on Long Island, NY. They ran things into the ground and lost most of the Long Island schools. They had to all reopen under new names and schools. One just reopened near me as United Karate, same instructors, but consolidated 3 dojos into one.

They are just a bunch of sleezy money hungry people if you ask me. Not all though obviously.

The ones on Long Island tried to stay open by becoming United Mixed Martial Arts and having a MMA program with Kempo on the side. It failed.

6. Gufbal1981

Hey joe...would you mind e-mailing me? I'd like to talk to you about my most saracastically favorite organization.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  7. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

my email is GIJoe6186@yahoo.com

but Id rather talk about the funny things in an open forum where others could see for the most part. It makes it more fun.

Anyway, I know KempoFist would like to hear too, he hates them, even though we were way better then White Tiger!

8. Gufbal1981

I agree with you there. KempoFist is cool. Do you still train?

9. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

BJJ + Muay Thai + Wrestling.

Kempo is old and wasted time to me.

10. Gufbal1981

way cool! i'm just starting bjj with rickson's son, kron gracie. after i get a head start in that, i want to train with chute boxe usa and then maybe fight in the cage. females are on the rise for cage fighting...

11. sk kempo

sk kempo New Member

Yes this was true, but charlee mattera backed out of the deal so now Grandmaster Fred Villari is opening schools around them.

12. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

He is, where exactly?

Although there are a few schools around that are affiliated in some way the FV, I haven't seen any new schools.

13. sk kempo

sk kempo New Member

Villaris and mattera's ussd have a non compete in California.

He's planing on opening his schools in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada.

3rd dan's and higher will be runing the schools.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

To bad but there are many that are that way I have been reading about.

One of the reason's for the small Rec. room and use the location and teach 2 days a week or so. Live in a communty and have access to all the children, and parents in a nice location, a cool situation.

But it is only for the respectful, otherwise you'll be moving out fast. Not good for many that are good at the arts, but suck as humanbeings. :bang:

Gary

15. Gufbal1981

so, let's open up a new can of worms. are you saying that it is bad to have a different job and teach martial arts for the sheer sake of teaching it and don't want a full time school?

16. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

Nice to hear, I hope it happens. There will obviously be some competition in the three states mentioned, we'll have to see what comes of it.

Are the FV schools going to compete on price as well, or undercut? How about curriculum, some of the affiliated schools teach a more mixed MA style, not just FVSSK. The one that I'm thinking of, in my area, teaches FVSSK, Chinese Boxing, Muay Tai, Judo and Jujitsu. Have you heard anything of that nature?

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I believe you have taken it 180 out of where I am mentioning it.

I feel it is ok to use the rec-room or a park or a location like the YMCA...and teach.
    I actually prefer the ones who have other income they are not as greedy, I have noticed.

Greed=It is like a fungus it just grows and grows. I have been to many schools and that is a very common denominator IMHO...

Needing more money suddenly and soaking the students... Students leave and say I have to do something that day, or they will mention I am sick and pretty soon they are gone for good. Some will stay and endure the problem for the belt, that just never seems to get there. Then they are gone...

Sad really, one of the reasons for the problems with this whole situation is the fact of greed. IMHO...

I really find the whole situation very bad if you pay for something, and go to a location it should be just that. If you don't get the belt because you are not trying, that is another problem we can address also if you like. Now that is a can of worms.

I think most of the contract schools are more likly to teach and holdup to their end of the bargin. They realize bad talk will finally ruin the school and the business, it is ok to make money and that is a way to do it.

To put on seminars knowing the person is not coming and stiffing with a different teacher is not good either.

I am content to learn and do my own thing most of the time. But many are not as easy to please, for I know that it is me who has to train, I can not miss because of others, problems are out there like cowpies, you don't walk threw them, you walk around them.

Gary

18. Gufbal1981

I am taking it 180. I want to get others opinions on what I said. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically...I just want to get others opinions.

Greed is a big problem with both organizations.

19. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

To guf!!

I heard Matterra retired and lives like in Costa Rica now, and that Paul Taylor is running things.Is that true?
    Also Guf, do you think ussd will merge with Vilari's?

20. Gufbal1981

Actually, I have it on good authority that Mattera lives in Vegas now, but yes, is retired. Paul Taylor has always run the show...he's just been more behind the scenes.

I don't think the two companies will ever be one company again. There's too many differences in the system...the way things are run...school ownership things...etc. There's just no way they will ever come to terms on that stuff. That's why Villari's is planning on opening up near other USSD schools and undercutting their rates.