views of this?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by sean, Mar 19, 2005.

1. sean

sean THOR!

Found a local club near to me that looks quite interesting to train at, seems a bit like a Mcdojo tho from the things they say on the site. Such as the £23 fee even before your first lesson.

Any thoughts/ideas on this club greatly appeciated.

www.dkjmartialarts.com

Cheers

2. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

If you're in it for the Karate aspect of it, I would stay away, any place that just says they teach, "karate" or "kung fu" without siting a particular style is usually a Mcdojo. But if you just want to learn kickboxing, it looks pretty legitimate for that, but in that case I think you would be better off just finding a kickboxing gym.

If you go to this site though, www.islandkarateschools.co.uk that's the dkj guy's dad's site, and it goes more in depth.

3. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

First impression of the web site, judging by the vocabulary used it has been written by a younger person who has trouble to express him or her self in words, sounds a little immature to me.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

somehow i just see one fighter and one instructor with the same name....hmmmnn

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

click on the pictures 47Martialman :\

As for the dojo... I say run away. I cant say for sure, but seeing the Kanji in some of the pictures that are obviously from different sources and dont entirely make sense, and seeing that they spell jutsu wrong, and seeing how they have "fitness" into their schedule, and seeing how the 1st dan is teaching "karate" but has all of his previous training was in bjj and mma, somethings seems... not right... Karate should have at least SOME tradition and lineage, so unless you just wanna learn how to beat stuff up, and unless the head instructor actually teaches, then you might want to find another karate dojo.

But its just an uninformed opinion on a website. Go check it out yourself and report back with your findings.

6. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

lmao@this... "We don't teach Kickboxing, we teach DKJ Martial Arts, a combination of everything that works, more commonly associated with K-1, a martial art about 12 years old. With added focus on fitness, self defense and conditioning.
    It sounds hard, and it is but it will help you get stronger, fitter and build self confidence."

don't go, find a muay thai or mixed martial arts gym to train at...

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

As always- go and have a look. Personally, I'm not interested in the karate side of things any more, and it looks like they do a good style of kickboxing with hard training- but you can't tell from a website.

8. sean

sean THOR!

Yep I may go along, but its £23 before even an into lesson, sounds a bit iffy. Yep I train Muay Thai at the mo I was just wondering if it looked like a Mc-dojo. I`ll go along and see if I can get up intime. Cheers

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If you're doing muay thai, I'd say it's probably better to stick with it in preference to going to that class.