Videos: Wrestling Moves for MMA and Submission Grappling with Kenny Johnson

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Levo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Filmed these videos while we had Kenny over at the weekend, thought you might like them...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJF03BfkU4"]Single Leg Takedown Finishes[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nORIUjUKs"]Clinch Position[/ame]

Nathan

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

great seminar, great coach and funny as hell...........god knows what time he finished on sunday though it was meant to be 3 hours, i had to leave after 4 1/2hrs and he was still going strong. Covered stance, sprawling off the single and double, the front headlock series, the russian 2 on 1 series which included a lovely set up for the lateral drop which is now mine and lord knows what else after i left...................my highlight was the clinch stuff the day before, simple stuff that totally changed my clinch game and the suplex training mainly because of the look on levo's and Robs faces when he brought the crash mats out was priceless ........:)

Thanks for bringing him over for the week cant wait for the next visit

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

double post

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Thanks for coming!

Yeah, was pretty nervous when he said the warm up was suplexes! :rolleyes:

Wish I could've got more mat time with him myself but had a seminar myself and was quite busy. Glad everyone had a good time.

Nathan

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Good videos man thanks for posting. I've only had a couple of wrestling sessions myself along with the standard (read: crap) bjj stand up and I was wondering how likely you are to get a single where you end up holding the guy's ankle like that? Always been taught to aim for the thigh myself.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

you pick it up at the thigh, where you end up then is up to you and your preference, if you slide back to the ankle like he says you are further away so they cant grab on, and you have a bigger lever, but transitioning to therefrom the thigh does need some training

7. Southpaw535

Thanks icefield, something to practice tonight

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the single is normally (head inside single that is) picked up at the thigh with the leg trapped between the thighs step the leg backwards to free it and slide a hand down to the shin/calf kenny hits with real momentum so as you are hit you move backwards and so he can create space andmove to the foot quickly

9. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

What he said. Kenny advocates driving in with the head and picking up at the thigh like a standard snatch single then suddenly pulling back to the ankle, he doesn't like to stay in because of the risk of chokes and likes the leg up high so they can't put weight on you or sprawl. I use his method a lot but also stay in close sometimes for the crotch lift or dump. In fact I like to use the dump attempt as a set up to coming out to the ankle, especially off the cage.

Nathan

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

what he said above

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. Southpaw535

Thanks guys. Had half hour before class so gave it a go and really liked it. I get caught in chokes or sprawls quite bit so it was a nice alternative. Only thing I felt less confident with was I generally shoot for a high crotch and it leaves his leg between mine which I have to fiddle with but got ideas to sort that. Thanks again for the videos Levo :cool:

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I like I like. Especially the small details like the way the hand grips the back. Detail make all the difference.

13. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

if we weren't all FAR to macho to cry, would be weeping from the sheer beauty of these lessons.

kenny johnson is win.

thanks