Videos of me not doing too well in Judo!

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Yatezy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Club competition yesterday and was asked to film them for one of the lads not able to turn up. Here are the vids of me :)

Had four fights but one didnt get filmed and lost anyway :p

So, here goes:

1st: Im the one in the white belt
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfWAEG0NHA"]YouTube - Judo[/ame]

2nd: Again im in white
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAbTS_oqPo"]YouTube - Judo[/ame]

And finally, 3rd: Once again im in white
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29573yN4rA"]YouTube - Judo[/ame]

Enjoy :cool:

2. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Thanks for posting, as a fellow Judo white belt I found that very good to watch!

Out of interest were there no other white belts?? That being said, nice armbar :)

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Good efforts... look for left sided techniques in your repetoire..

Thanks for posting

regards

Alan

4. Yatezy

Sorry shouldve stated, I'm a red belt. They use white and blue just decide which 'corner' your in.

The first vid I'm against a black belt, the second vid the lad is a blue belt and in the third he is the same grade as me. The other fight that I got beat in was against a blackbelt :)

Cheers smurf, I really need to brush up on my throwing techniques massively. Was far too defensive I think so need to get a bit more aggressive

5. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Did I mention I was a noob? :p Ha, nice job none the less

6. Yatezy

Lol cheers mate, I didn't know myself until I went to my first comp the other week :)

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Darn it, I didn't realise the club comp was so soon. I'd have come down to watch if I'd remembered. I've missed so much training recently with my dodgy shoulder and bad back that I'd lost track of when things where happening. I thought the comp was closer to Christmas. Well congratulations on your first competition! Just out of interest did they have any women competing? Last year it was just me and one other lady.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. Yatezy

Cheers Frodo, I got to squeeze another comp in the other week. A low kyu grade one, although expected even less from this one since I knew I was fighting against higher belts :)

No women in the senior groups this year, just the younger ones.

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Good stuff for first fights, way better than mine. I could offer you loads of tips but the chances are you'd forget them all in randori so I've tried to think of two really important, simple things that might be useful then a load of other stuff I write for my own satisfaction mainly.

One major thing for standing to keep in mind is that you need to be more solid in you're stance and stop bringing your feet so close together when you step. That means staying a bit more upright and compacta with youre arms when it comes to gripping and not standing so edge on to you're opponent as well. One foot should be in front of the other but you're hips should be square on to you're opponent unless you are attacking. Both times you got thrown it was because of this so it's really important:

Hips Square,
    Stand Staright
    Hands Up
    Feet always shoulder width or more

On the ground, you need to work more on you're hold downs, you had the pin tight and the guy managed to get out of it because you let up a bit and stopped working for the pin. The pin needs to always be tight but you need to move yourself a bit and respond to you're oppoennts movements to prevent them escaping.

To nit pick a little now and make less important points th, you shouldn't hold an underhook the way you did in that second fight, when you get that grip you have the ability to get in close with good body contact for a throw but you also loose the ability to use that arm to keep you're pponent out so as soon as you get the grip you need to go in and attack, not hang out there.

Also, the over the back grip is something you need to learn to deal with and not get bent over by, it's really not that powerful a grip anywhere except at the novice level but you need to learn to cope wit it and not get bent over:

First, stay upright when fighting for grips, don't let you're hips get in front of your shoulders. That makes it much harder for them to get the grip. At 1.16 in the first fight you kind of do it, not a great example but don't have time to look for another.

Second when someone tries to take it you should attack whilst their hand is off your gi. For example at the 24 second mark or so in fight 1 the guy shifts his hand from the lapel to a high collar grip, attack then, he only has one hand on your gi as he shifts so he has next to no chance of getting the counter throw so you get a free attack.

Third, stay upright when they get the grip, step forward with the forward foot if you have to when they try to pull you down but keep your hed up and back straight as much as possible.

Fourth, if you do get bent over, bend from the knees and get your back and head straightened out then stand up again. They can't hold you bent over with the force of their arms alone.

Finally, attack. When they hold you with a high collar grip like they they have very little ability to hold you out if you attack with left sided technqies so get stuck in with them before they can use the admitedly better leverage of that grip to try and throw you.

Hope some of it helps.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  10. Yatezy

Slindsay, thanks man! Thats some info for me to digest there! I'll try take as much in that i can and hopefully improve on it.

Cheers :cool:

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

in England is a red belt a 6 kyu like up here ? I don't really have much advice as I am only just starting to fix the little problems your dealing with just now (which I guess everyone in there first year does) and your instructors will probably iron them out after the competition anyway but from my limited knowledge its just basic stuff learn some better foot work to off balance people before you throw them, make sure you close the gap and there's not a huge space between you and your opponent if your going to throw someone, turn your head a little more when throwing, id also say don't go for as many dropping to your knee's type throws those are risky for the best of people and only really work if you have the weight to pull them off, or your fighting someone really new who wont know how to defend them at all, once you'v done judo for a while you can spot them coming a mile off and its just a case of dropping your weight on top of the person and taking there back like the guy did to you. the arm bar was hard to make out on the camera but it seemed a good one, the guy tapped quick enough anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010