video training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by cbraves85, Nov 2, 2005.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

What does everyone think of training and promoting via video. Consider that the person using the videos has a nice amount of experience in martial arts. Do you think that someone can lear to succesfully defend themselves without a live instructor. Previously, I was a little doubtful on the credibility of the topic. However, after doing some research, its seems as if their are some decent instructors putting out videos. It has also been made clear to me that their are certain situations in which students just can't attend a live class.

2. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Is it possible ??? Maybe...
    Is it likely to make you a good MA'ist ??? I highly doubt it...

So the answer to your question has to be no.

3. Rochambo83

Rochambo83 Martial Artist

Think of all the hours of instruction you get in a regular class. A few hours of DVD instruction can never teach you all the things hundreds of hours in the dojo can. You could learn some new techniques to add to your arsenal though if you are already a martial artist. I learned a few leg takedowns from a wrestling DVD and have successfully sparred with said techniques.

The other thing about video instruction is that nobody is there to make you push yourself. Sometimes after class I can barely stagger to my car. I would never do that intense of a workout without someone telling me to.

It might be possible if you weren't alone and practiced a ton. Somebody had to teach themself the first martial art right?

4. swb

swb New Member

The Doctor is in

If I watched videos of surgeons (and ER)...would you want the medical board of your state allowing me to operate on you? Videos help refresh, not learn first time around.

Ummm...

5. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

:rolleyes: Can a video punch you?
    Can a video correct a really cocked up technique specific to you at that moment in time?

'nuff said .....

If someone can't attend training for what ever reason then they can't attend training .....

You never seen the start of karate kid 1?
    :rolleyes:

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Nothing new to add here, the bottom line is that you can't learn martial arts from videos, they are only potentially useful as a supplement to proper training.

7. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

I am just wondering. Does a video has a live partner to go with it?
    From personal experience; I tried books, when vids became available, I tried that. Still it was nothing compared to actual instruction.
    In the matter of fact same with something can be said even of proper weight lifting.
    If you know the basics than yes, it's possible that you can learn the advanced from video, but not garanteed.