Video Training Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well Jim, I guess you're right. I misspelled it. Here is the quote from your website:

I BOW DOWN.
    James Kovacich
    Godan, Bujutsu

2. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Fair enough Bujutsu in Japan means military arts. It is an art. But Bujutsu as taught by Mr. Hayashi down to my line refers to his martial arts, all of his systems combined incliuding his full contact system.
    You'll notice he has it on his GI and he also signed his name with it quite a bit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  3. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Like I said, if I'm ever up your way, I'll be glad to go at it with you personally to test your system. Same goes for if you're ever down here. I'm not interested in the "others" that are more than willing. If your system is all that it's cracked up to be, then I'll come on here and admit it. I don't engage in actual street fights unless forced to defend myself, but free-sparring with the only rule being that one stops if one's opponent taps out is always fun.

4. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I was in you neck of the woods 2 weeks ago but was busy any way. Some time as men we can play. I don't direspect you but you do seem baiting such as your comment about a "distant Hanshi."

Many of my instructors were "qaulified" fighters. Greg, Rob and Felix taught me about fighting. Not "300 combos" and variations. Thats where my system is headed. I never said my system was all that. Just that traditional martial arts have many weaknesses and I understand them very well. I teach my students from my experiences to exploit these weaknesses. No one has to agree with what I'm saying but there is a reason why I have this posted on my Acadmy site as one of my programs.
    1) Kempo
    Full Contact Fighting
    This program is for those who only wish to fight. This program will produce black belt fighters up to 1st degree.

No student is required to fight to hard. Right now I have 2 brownbelts in traditional systems that I will be teaching soon. At anytime a student can gracefully bow out and continue on in a traditional class.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  5. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Jim, I really never looked at your background until you started coming here and defending Angel's promotion of Geary. That's really indefensible. Then I got the idea that you had done the same thing as Geary, and I was right. Hopefully you're more talented than him even though according to Angel he out ranks you by quite a bit. But either way, you never earned a black belt in any system except your own and then you got Angel to promote you to 5th degree in it. You're actually making Angel look worse by pointing this out. He's now even more able to be seen as someone who'll hand out rank to anyone.

Look man, maybe you're Bruce Lee in terms of your ability. We don't know because there's no video of you out there that I've seen. But, going by Angel's standards, you must be below Geary in skill level since he's been given a 7th by Angel and you're only a 5th. Think about that for a minute and then tell me again what you think about Angel promoting Geary.

6. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I’m not going to comment on American forms of Kempo, just Shorinji Kempo. I have some of our hombu’s excellent instructional DVD’s. They show techniques from 9 different camera angles, repeat them slowly and offer training tips. While these are great resources for someone who knows the technique or understands what is happening, they are of absolutely no value in learning the techniques. There is just too much information that can’t be conveyed by video, especially with Juho techniques. There is absolutely no other way to learn them but through a teacher and with the cooperative help of a training partner. These techniques require a person to develop a feel and a knack of how they are done, it’s just impossible to reproduce this with video. All video can convey are just the simplest of techniques, and even then poorly.

7. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Colin,

Exactly the point I was making.Look, I have no doubt that people FEEL like they are learning this stuff when training at home via video. However, i'm convinced that it won't really work. Even if you have a training partner, you would both have to have some idea of how this was supposed to feel in order for it to be done properly. I found this to be an interesting experiment. I've got two brown belts and have always been a quick learner and this was my experience. I can't imagine someone with no experience trying to do a home study course and having it work at all.

8. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

No, you're dead wrong. You have you're blinders on. We are individuals and I stake "no claims" to any system than any one else can dispute. It is solely mine.

Yes, I did earn a 5th that you do not recognize the process that is frequently used by "martial orphans." I was evaluated by several years of my training with Felix Macias Jr. which is on tape established not only a timeline of my "related" training but also my skill level and "how" it got there after at that point, "dropping" traditional training. Felix has never certified anyone but has given verbal permission to individuals to teach, I am one of them. He asked me to "make sure" that my students know what material is his and what material is mine.

This getting out of hand with your disrespect. You don't have to respect my promotion but you are nobody in the arts to question anyone.

I NEVER CLAIMED a black belt in any traditional art. Just my own which will be in the publics eye soon enough because I can't wait to "espose the weak."

Danjo,
    EVERY school I ever went to as I already posted and I put on a white belt and in Kajukenbo I put on white belt 3 times including an attempt I made in the mid 80's to go back to it while I still had "issues to deal with."

You "posted" you would never accept rank in a system that you never trained in. So answer this here in the publics eye just as I put out the truth, I want you to answer the truth here.

Your only Kajukenbo experience is through videos and you have proved to us that you failed in Vilarris White to Black home study video course.

Funny that you actually tried it though because you claim that it is not a legitimate way of training or earning rank. Look whos calling the kettle black.

IN KAJUKENBO ARE YOU WHEREING A WHITE BELT? YES OR NO! If you answer yes then you are in line with your post. If you answer no then I know your posts are ****.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  9. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

You're not readin correctly Jim,

I trained live in SKK to Green-Brown and then, when I was one week from my brown belt test, I quite the USSD because My Sensei left to go back to Villari's over some extemely unprofessional treatment by Dennis Brookman. Look, I said I would not accept a black belt from anyone but a live instructor and I won't. I've earned a brown in Shotokan also. My video training was during the time when I couldn't get to live training and I didn't get rank in tht two year lay-off except when I sent off for the brown from Villari. Ironically at the behest of my Sensei who told me to do that. I've written before about being a bit embarassed over the idea. So what's your excuse Jim? How can you sit there with a straight face and say that your various white, purple and brown belts add up to a 5th degree? You're a joke and so is your fellow Angel devotee Geary. Both of your egos are far too large to stand any criticism You've done nothing but prove that Angel is indeed running a belt mill adn that's as simple as it gets. Do you even know what "espose" means?

I tried the video training and I'm saying it doesn't work. you're saying that a bunch of colored belts adds up to a 5th degree and that Angel is legit to promote you guys. Have fun in fantasy land Jim.

10. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

entertaining

11. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

So you're second brownbelt was by video test. Funny, when John defended your post he did not mention that when he said you have 2 brown belts including your video test brown belt. He's spoken out about Kajukenbo does not have video testing. I will find it interesting if he "recognizes" your video test brown belt. :rolleyes:

Who's the joke?? You're the VIDEO TEST BROWN BELT. Could't make it to black by the low standards of video testing? :D :cry: :cry:

How do you call it a belt mill? I was pomoted to 5th by another Grandmaster before Hanshi Angel took over my guidance of my system?

Yes, I do know what espose means and so will you especially when I clarify how "I" it relate to the word weakness. You won't show up. You tossed out your "friendly sparring." If you come, you will be made example of on tape, which you will sign your rights away to.

You're abusive mouth has gone to far and I'm expecting you be able to back it up with some talent. You should try to compose yourself.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that any amount of colored belts could add up to a 5th. I "qouted" on my site which you seem to mis-read (and your a teacher :confused: ) that I was evaluated on my abilities dating back to 1973. From an organization with SEVERAL connections to my training. After 29 years as a martial artist I was ready to move up. You are in no position to judge me or my system unless you come visit me. I owe you nothing. You are the "verbal abuser" so it's on you to come here.

Two Grandmasters have recognized me as 5th in "my" system. Hanshi Angel was the second to do so. You are in no postion to judge me as you're running from the "Shoalin Lineage" because you know that Kajukenbo is the only one that truly is legitimate based on what you've posted because ALL of the Shaolin Lineage has done exactly what you are accusing me of. They were able to get away with it based on their abilities. Prove I'm not there. :cry: :cry:

Well, by your standards. You ARE now a white belt again. When are you going to "make a statement" in the martial arts "without your computer."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Can people posting in this threaad please remember that we have rules on swearing and resorting to insults. I'd suggest you refrain from it if this thread is to stay open.

13. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

is there a belt ranking for keyboard warriorism? ;)

14. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Its called Tek ken do, get it right!!! :p

And it doesnt use belts but rather tatoos of little skulls on the forearms. You can see the grade because they use sleeveless GI's :p

OSU,

Dave.

15. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

ok

So when are you guys gonna duke it out? Please make sure that whoever wins does so quickly so I am not sitting here waiting for a 15 minute video to load on my CP.

Can you both post your pre-fight statistics like age, height, weight, and reach?

That'd be great thanks...

16. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

if this happens, then the loser must become the student of the winner :D

17. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  18. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

LOL! This guy will never come here. How could he go back and face his students? "Er...uh.. well, I know I'm a 5th degree in my own system, and he's only a brown belt...but...umm well you see..."

It won't happen because I don't think I'll ever go to Tracy, and I somehow doubt "Mr. 5th degree" will come see me if he's back in town down here.

Don't hold your breath. But if I'm wrong, I'll personally mail you a copy of the tape. :)

19. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Do you remember that post from you. There is MORE evidence proving that statement than there is stating that Pesare was an actual black belt. Thgat leaves a large part of the Shaolin line frauds by your standards.

That would make you only a brown in Shotokan. Americas weakest martial art. :D

Hanshi Angel was certified in Japan. That is legitimate. My 5th was not bought. I joined an org and was evaluated. It seems good enough for the HMAIS. They recogognize my 1st Grandmaster (the one who promoted me) and in such my promotion through him.
    http://www.hmaisociety.org/Bios/grandmasters/hargrave-c.htm

By the way. My home is in Tracy. I teach in San Jose 2 blocks from SJC which is a 30 minute flight from LAX and if order in advance at southwest.com tickets are $49 last time I checked.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  20. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.