[video] TKD sparring (full contact vs MT)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Teryan, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

What the heck is MT?

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

3. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

I downloaded a MT vs TKD fight on kazaa and it was just the opposite. The tkd red belt just kept trying to kick to the mid/high sections while the MT guy just kept rushing him and kicking his legs. The tkder got owned, but it didn't look like a fair matchup. It just appears that the TKD fighter either wasn't very experienced, or he wasn't aware they weren't going by tkd sparring rules. Screw "above the belt" fighting if it's not a rule.

Let me go download this video now.

4. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I nearly laughed when the TKD practitioner threw that punch, On the side of the Muay Thai prac. vs. The TKD red belt...The other MT prac. should have check the man's kick also and in the clip of the Muay Thai prac. owning the TKD red belt he used good strategies to take out his legs by kicks to the shin.

5. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I've got to say it's a bit refreshing after having the aforementioned MT vx TKD video thrown constantly at TKDists. Can we say that these two videos cancel each other out, and prove that the style is irrelevant? Huh, huh? Please? :D

6. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Style is far from irrelevent. They aren't equal. If two clones (same weight, height, strength, natural fighting talent, etc) learned two different styles for the exact same amount of time, what would happen if they fought? The one who trained in the better style would win. Now if you have to guys from the same style fight, the better fighter will win. Both the person and the style are important, but all this "all styles are equal" stuff makes me mad. :p

7. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

So what are you basing this on? Have you found the best style then? :rolleyes:

8. notquitedead

I don't think there is a single "best" style, even the "best" striking style can still get beat on the ground. Even the "best" grappling style can still get beat standing up (although the grappler has the advantage...the striker can't strike on the ground while the grappler can grapple standing up ;) )

However, there are styles that are better than others. Let's compare striking styles. The techniques of a style, it's methods of power generation, stances, training methods, etc all factor in to how effective a style will help you become. Let's talk about techniques.

Which is stronger, a jab or a left hook? I'm using these two punches because both are from boxing so I can't be labelled a "style basher" for saying one is better than the other, and they are also done with the same weapon (your left hand). Both are done with the left hand, but they aren't as strong as eachother (hmm kind of reminds you of styles right, both are done with the human body, but yet they are different?). The mechanics of a jab and the mechanics of a hook are quite different. The hook is clearly stronger because your whole body is behind it. The jab is still incredibly useful, though, so this isn't a good example.

Let's compare two techniques that have the same function: the front snap kick and "push kick". The name says it all, really. The snap kick is a "snappy" movement and all the power comes from straightening out the knee. The "push kick" is more of a pushing motion, with your body behind it. Instead of chambering your leg and flicking it out, you bring your knee up (so it is chambered, I'm getting to the difference though) but then lean back slightly. This is one of the key differences. Leaning back pushes your hips, and thus your leg, forward. This forward motion of the hips adds more power. Next, instead of just straightening your knee, as you do that you also bend your upper leg back down, adding more power into it. These kicks has the same purpose, but they are not equal. I prefer the push kick to the front snap kick because of the amount of power. This extra power does not make it slower, actually it speeds it up. Putting your body behind it and using other muscles makes it reach the target faster.

Among standup styles, some are more complete than others, too. Some contain elbows, knees, clinching, etc whiles some don't.

9. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

Did this half to go to the style bashing?

If you have not seen the first MT vs. TKD video it is on bullshido.com under style vs style. The TKDer did not look like he knew what he was doing, alot like the MTer in this vid.

10. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

This has been said time and time again, but it's all in how you train, not what style you train in. If you train to deal with only other TKD practioners, then that is the only people you will be prepared to fight. In such cases, of course the TKD guy will loose. The same goes with any other fighting style.

I do think everyone should at least learn some of each style so they know what to expect and how to deal with it. There is also the fact that certain styles (like MT) condition for pain alot more then others, but there's nothing stopping a TKD student from conditioning himself for pain the same way.

Only practicing the techniques from one art that focuses on a particular set of skills (like tkd's kicking) is like an island nation having an awesome navy but no army or airforce. You may be fine if you can keep the enemy from getting inland, but then even if one small force makes it through, you're still screwed unless you have some land and airpower. Strange example, but that's what came to mind, lol.

11. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

I wasn't talking about traning, I was talking about the vid's. In one a TKDer got his but kicked. In anoter a MTer got his but kicked. In the first, ovbisouly the TKDer practed for it (traning as you pointed out).

12. notquitedead

Yes I agree the practitioner and how he/she trains are important, but you can't deny that some techniques are more effective than others. Because of that, some styles are more effective than others.

13. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

I agree a little with Pankration90, as i could create a style that only uses knees and pinki finger jabs ot the eyes. I'm pretty sure that however much i practised it, it would still be a crap style.

On a more serious note though, amongst established styles they are mostly pretty much even. unless science can prove otherwise, (e.g the body mechnics of a particular technique prodce less speed and power than the mechanics of another.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  14. kepundengz2003

kepundengz2003 New Member

Could anybody send to me the video clip please...

To anybody who has managed to download the video, can you please post the video clip (as attachment) to my email address below?

kepundengz2003@yahoo.com

I am very interested (very happy, heheh) to see an MT guy being defeated. We have to show to those MT over-fanatics and TKD-bashers out there that TKD is actually devastating, and lethal!

What the hell I couldn't manage to DL the clip from the link provided.... something to do with the suckin' internet connection in my campus...

It could be MT-over-fanatics cryin' foul out there.... ha ha

15. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Right click on the link, and click save link to disk.

I don't think this necessarily proves that MT sucks and TKD rules are anything, but at least it does show that it depends on the fighter, not so much the art itself.

16. Sagat

Sagat New Member

o man o man...wat a disgrace to all the korean MTers out there...well i shouldnt say disgrace...he looked like a total newbie blocking low kicks (trying to anyway) with his hand...and turning his face away from being hit...o well just give him a few more months and he'll mop the floor with that TKD dude lol ;) but i gotta give it up to that TKD guy...he was landing his kicks and looking good while doing it

the commentators arent really saying anything...just commenting on the different kicks that TKD guy threw...

o well...cheers TKDers...uve won this round but there will be another!!! :yeleyes: at least we kicked that red belt's butt in the other video... :)

17. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Exactly what I think!