Video :: Royce vs. Akebono

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Dec 31, 2004.

1. He has great trouble moving when he's not in an armbar!

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It wasn't an armbar, it was an omoplata :) The moves are quite different. The omoplata is an attack on the shoulder, and the armbar is an attack on the elbow.

3. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

Royce is the man! He takes people of ANY size.

4. Lucharaan

Lucharaan New Member

LOL! I like the part about the disgusting body.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

And there is no way out of an omoplata?

Thinking about getting into mma to give me a medium to vent frustrations and agression......

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

There are ways out of an omoplata, but for someone Akebono's size and weight, it is difficult :)

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I finally got to see the video! Thanks... I wasn't disappointed. I am a fan of Sumo (and Akebono) and I don't think the match makes him look that bad. Royce Gracie is an amazing man and amazingly talented and much more experienced in more open rules fighting. I imagine if they had fought under "Sumo Rules", the results would have been different. I think that Akebono most likely came a way with a new respect for Gracie jujitsu and who knows? Maybe he'll start MMA training and get back in the ring someday. As for the naysayers... how long would you have lasted against either of these guys? (And yes, I'd love the opportunity to learn/work with/compete against either one!)