video of pauli getting punched in the face

Discussion in 'Karate' started by pauli, Apr 12, 2010.

1. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

thought some of you might appreciate this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtFaJk5azpk"]YouTube- SKTDMAS full spectrum sparring[/ame]

this is from saturday. my nose still hurts; if i wasn't wearing the headgear, it'd be broken, twice over.

input? i'm aware my game sucks :) it's hard to be aggressive when one's sparring partner puts on a sen sen no sen (if i've got that spelled right...) clinic on one's face. i believe i actually blocked more of his punches than i usually do.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Cool.

Big dude punching you in the face = hurt, lol.

was nice to see you get the mount there at the end though, nice work.

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

thanks!

the armbar was there, and i would have finished it, had we not rolled off the mats and been stood up.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what cloudz said :p

besides that, from an outsider's perspective, it seems you were trying to enter without neutralizing his guard first. his game was clearly intercepting, so before you attacked you should have prevented him from intercepting you first (entering with raised leg, trapping, etc). not that i'm excactly good at that, but it's just what i saw; you got effectively Machida'd by him :D

props to both of you

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Why on earth are you not moving in behind your jab or lead hand. Or using it to set up your leg shots? It's murder if you just wade in guard low on a big fella like that. Leaving your head dead square on your shoulders is just making it a sitting duck for his fist. Ouch.

Also you try some counters. His guard was low most of the match.

You might also want to work on responding to every shot immediately. I know it's all easier said than done... but you've got to make him pay for everything he drops on you. Give him a reason to think twice about coming in so blatantly.

Yeah he's a big lad so I can see why the nose would hurt. But the in behind your lead hand or jab. String more shots together. Get him to cover up, pause or drop his guard. Seriously... don't just walk in on him without setting it up first... back out every single time and leave a parting shot to keep him from coming back in.

Going head to head with someone outweighing you by that much isnt a good idea. Work from an angle. Feint etc.

Big props for taking the time to post. I'm not even sure what style this is. A type of karate?

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Out of interest, what style do you do? Looks pretty cool :)

Agreed with what everyone else has said. I can imagine it must be a bitch to spar a guy like that though. I'd be happy to just last!

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

How come only one of you was wearing the suit?

Gary

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

hah, a bunch of replies as i'm getting ready to head to class!

slip, that's actually a very good way to put it - "a type of karate." used to be good old generic japanese karate (somewhat related to shotokan, minus the bouncing and point sparring), now it's that plus a lot of bjj, a little judo, and a little aikido.

i see what you're saying, and it makes sense. problem is, he's a LOT faster than i am, and tends to counterpunch before my fist is halfway to where his head used to be. this is discouraging ;) and tends to cause me to reset. maybe it's a side effect of a "position before submission" mentality from bjj - when threatened, i tend to abandon attacks and secure my base.

when i DO commit to a combination, i usually end up tagging him on the ribs while eating three punches to the head.

range issues don't help; he's got longer arms than i do, and my distancing is still horrible from originally learning with pulled punches to the head.

all that on top of the fact that he's been training for fifteen years to my six...

my general strategy, such as it is, is to try and punch my way inside and clinch up, where i've got a better chance of dealing with his hip throws, and try to either get behind him or get him down. this strategy usually proves hard to implement.

llama, "shin ki tai do." we spun off from DNBK (chishin ryu karate) last year, and are now SKTDMAS. still a karate dojo, and we still consider ourselves karateka. with chokes.

gary, i'm the only one (currently) with headgear and shin guards. i wear the latter so i can kick people in the head and not feel bad, and the former so i can survive playing with cody. everyone wears mouthguards and mma gloves.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. liero

liero Valued Member

just for the record...He isn't faster than you, just times his strikes well.

He isn't amazing, you could take him if you had a better game plan than, "go in with one strike at a time and cover up in close so he doesn't hurt me"

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Slips already given some sage technical advice with the striking. I'll say maybe work more on your footwork so you can get in and out and get around quicker, combining with more elusive upper body movement and your combos.

Example faster footwork - notice occasionally you step naturally (switch). Rather move the near foot and drag. Everywhere you step forward, left, right, back. Move that leg first and 'drag' the other. To change angles pivot on the front foot and drag the rear round. Circle more.

Combine working these footwork drill with your jab and combos and I think you'll see a difference.

I think a smaller guy has to outwork a bigger guy at least, maybe tire him a little if possible.

When you're coming inside you need side to side movement to be harder to hit together with that a nice high tight guard looking for the clinch up. I'm guessing you don't really want to stand and bang with him inside lol..

Work on getting into an over under clinch (or double underhooks preferably) and hitting a sacrifice throw for scrambling a top position. Something like that, or what you did, change levels and hit the shot. Darting in and out with crisper footwork might also get him chasing and head hunting you a bit more. look to evade parry, maybe fake the counter or counter to change levels and get him down. All easy to say... but maybe this'll give you some fresh ideas to work on.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Put more hurt on the legkicks, a solid solar plexus front kick. He lifts his head when he throws too, well nearly during all exchanges.. This is perfect for going for kicks to the gut, and his legs.

Throw combos, jab cross legkick. jab cross front kick. He will react to the two punches then the kicks are home. Make them powerful or they'll be ignored and youll eat punches. Thats how it started out by the looks, he realised there was no danger in your legkicks so he found his timing and picked you appart for a minute or so.
    You nearly got a head kick home there, left foot, nice. If you had thrown and hurt him with a combo ending in a front kick earlier, then a change up front to round would have got home there i reckon.
    You finished off well too.

I suppose you were taking it easy on him a bit being he prob had a ways to go yet, jeez that turning kick looked solid too, ouch :)
    Enjoyed that mate, cheers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010