Video for discussion

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Dave,

What were you looking for here? He was obviously a close friend but you say you have drifted apart. Since he has been roasted here before what did you expect? Anyone who claims to be Soke, has ninjutsu within their system, tries to be more Japanese or traditional than the Japanese is going to get roasted. Regardless if they have any skill at all. You know this so why did you put this out there to get roasted again? I don't get it! :confused:

2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I can kind of understand why Dave posted the video. Dave has been without a teacher for some time and someone in that situation doesn't have someone informing them on what is good/correct/efficient, etc. As such, like most people in his position, he can only compare himself to others and use that as a form of self-evaluation. If he posts a video of someone he thinks is good and others agree then he is getting some kind of feedback about his own understanding.

Unfortunately, and this is never more apparently true than in martial arts, many (if not most) people are not good evaluators of talent/skill. In this day and age most people's exposure to violence is a school-yard scuffle ending up in a bleeding lip and that kind of thing. Those people receiving proper instruction or those people with exposure to real violence, and those somewhere in between, will be better evaluators of the value of what they see in videos such as this. If most people could adequately evaluate the skill level of what they are seeing then self-made Soke and three-weeks-of-Judo-turned-instructor-type people would not last long (and the world would be a better place).

P.S. Anyone wishing to claim evidence they can properly evaluate skill by saying most Bujinkan videos are crap are disqualified. Everyone knows most Bujinkan video are crap.

3. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Well you summed it up.

Thank you

Actually no it was just for discussion. He puts himself more into the Aiki crowd, of which I am not educated much. So I was actually hoping for someone who is experienced in that aspect to discuss any merits...... as I don't know the merits if any.
    Not just a general he sucks discussion. My relationship with him means nothing in this conversation. Other than I don't have any skin in the game.

As for not having a teacher. This is true. Has been sometime. This is not saying I am looking for someone to guide me to what I need to believe or that I don't have an opinion with some merit to it. Everyone has an opinion of some value.

I only used the Bujinkan example as the bad video section which includes tonnes of them far outweigh the good video section.
    Frankly I gather if you put a vid online, as I learned it will be torched anyway and rarely actually demonstrates what you do in the dojo.

As far as Falcaro Sensei goes. I figured some years ago, after his online bathing that I would go see him for myself. And did for some 10 years with my group. There is a lot more to meet the eye. Not to mention his teacher. I would invite anyone to go train with them.
    I have seen traditional Kan's go to his seminars and were impressed.
    I have seen some very poor examples go to his seminars as well. I'd say I was one of them.
    I'm decent at a pragmatic hand to hand concept but hardly figure I'm any form of technician.
    However it was just for discussion. Nothing else. I liked some of the newer videos he had. Thought they had a good feeling to them, so if any it was what I would think discussable.
    I was incorrect, so I will agree to disagree on some points. I will keep to my opinions.
    Thank you for yours

4. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

Hello everybody

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hello. Did you have something you wanted to add?

6. george rodger

I'm sorry, I haven't posted for a while, just thought I would say hello and be friendly. Is that against the rules now? I am hardly trying to derail the thread ,am I now?

7. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You could've just PMed me george.:) Be nice, the mods have enough trouble here already and you did pick a doozy of a thread to breath life back into. Just to keep things on topic, here's another vid from this guy's group…

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRNkFtWae8&list=UUK_qbwK6k3l1OJlyOkns2Zg"]Mike Affatato, Roku Kyu (earned 4th belt) 2012 Neji Gekken Ryu, Sogobujutsu - YouTube[/ame]

Looks good until the missing footage is rolled(you know, where the guy thanks you for giving up your back and knocks you out).

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Difficult to derail a thread that's been dead for several months. Which makes your choice of this thread to just pop in and say hello an odd one. If one were seeking just to reintroduce oneself to a forum, then a new thread would make the most sense. Replying to a long-dead thread mostly just serves to (deliberately or otherwise) bring a thread that's run its course back to the top of the list to be rehashed.

9. george rodger

I just saw a thread posted by someone I knew and posts from others I knew. Not sure why you are made an issue of it, with a sarcastic reply.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I wasn't being sarcastic, George. I was genuinely trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were warming up to add something to an existing conversation. It's a fairly natural assumption, given that it was an old thread. You read it as sarcasm, and that's on you.

The next time you take exception to something, just ask first. I'd be happy to clarify. And even to apologize if I was in the wrong.

11. george rodger

I was simple saying hello. I don't know how I could have been clearer. But I do understand your position.
    P.S. It was a new thread to me. Posted since last I visited. I meant no harm.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I didn't suppose you did, George. My original question was genuine. Okay? I can see how it could be read as sarcasm. The internet doesn't do tone very well. Just give me the benefit of the doubt going forward, yes?

13. george rodger

I certainly will. No problem.

14. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I have seen Sogobujitsu seminar before, I was intrested during the lecture, it felt like listening to eddie bravo of the strikeing.clinch world. Then his students came and did some technique and I got lost. Im not really sure if it was good or bad, almost like being at an art gallarie and not able to critique correctly here.
    Now if I was to really attack that man I am not going to have any just stuck out there, im quickly bringing my balled up fist back to chamber WHILE I am hitting at him again, and Im watching to see if I need to move out the way of his fist. I mean it dosent look like something I could learn from him over night, my guess is that it takes long years of training to do that correctly.

15. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

G'day g'day Georgie porgie! You Haven t probably missed much George, it's been tumbleweed country here for a long time :(
    Today it's like the old days, about 6 threads to read!

It's nice to see you back!

On topic, those throws just so look like they just won't work!

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Thread hijack!

Just seen this on youtube and think I remember hearing that he trained with Simon Yeo for a time, thhough he has more than likely trained with other MA's too. This reminded me of a kata in the Bujinkan schools though only reminided as it is NOT that kata. For me the transition from inside to omotegyaku looked a little stretched and outside to omotegyaku seems safer. But as we always hear "wrist locks don't work anyway".

So did he train with Simon Yeo? If so is this likely something he learned there? Is Simon Yeo still a member here?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXetSEe9h7w"]Bear Grylls Teaching Self Defence - The Jonathan Ross Show - YouTube[/ame]

17. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Makes no sense to do it like he does against a knife IMHO. Better to go on the outside a la Gyokko Ryu style and strike the knife out of his hand when applying omote gyaku.

"wrist locks dont work anyway" is just plain stupid talk. Maybe you could say "wrist locks dont work when your opponent knows whats coming and can resist it" in which case there are ways to get him anyways....

Regards / Skuggvarg

18. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

There is a testimonial on Simon Yeo's website (www.yeodojo.net) which is attributed to Bear Grylls. The comment implies he trained with Him for a while.

On youtube there is a clip from one of Bear Grylls video which has Simon Yeo ( or at least looks like him ) as one of the extras. Sorry I haven't got the link to hand to post it but a quick search on youtube or Google will find it for you.