Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by talkless, Aug 13, 2010.

1. talkless

talkless New Member

All this feedback is pretty reasonable. I think a lot of the concerns essentially boil down to two ideas, how is this unique/new/useful etc.? and the question of it being worthwhile to invest in attending the workshop.

The first question I can do only so much to explain. While yes, I can go on in extreme detail about about various principles and mechanics involved, I choose not to. Blame me for that if you want. I've already given a few really important hints as it is. If it were just up to me, I would have no problem going into as much detail as one wants, but this being for the sake of the workshop etc. I have to follow guidelines in what I can say and not. Suffice to say, the emphasis of the feet, and the way they're used (which I will not go into detail over) over the use of dan tian/hips/waist is itself a large departure from what many stylists emphasize for their own understanding of body mechanics. As the question of its use, we have had students very geared towards fighting that immediately have understood and appreciate the use of this method towards real situations. I hope people don't keep confusing that drill video with trying to show that anymore, I've commented more than enough on it. Again, I can say a lot to explain how this all works and why its viable, but words only go so far, really the best way is to feel it firsthand.

From what I'm seeing, I think the cost aspect of the workshop has been putting people off more than anything. I am a man of meager means myself with not a lot of time to afford spending going on trips etc., so I understand why people would be hesitant to come out from far to attend our workshop. To me, this is a reasonable position to take. In the future when we might do seminars outside of our area, perhaps closer to any one of your own, hopefully this would make such things easier. I would understand also why someone may not want to go out of there way to travel however many miles to just see it work also. If there are Chicago area forum members, then they can surely visit if they want and tell you what its like, I agree with that idea.

I know it was to be expected to receive lots of questions, criticism, to have to answer that, etc. That much is obvious. By mentioning the intent to emphasize the ad and its explanation over debate, I'm basically trying to say that I don't intend to be dragged into kind of discussion seen online in many ways, you know, trolling, talking crap to people etc. You guys have been generally pretty good. I think detailed discussion should be encouraged and the questions people are asking are important. My own desire is just to avoid the needless arguments seen everywhere. Personally, I don't spend any time on forums, blogs, social network sites, etc. I'm only on here now as an exception to help my teacher with this. Now those of you who may spend more time dealing with this may even understand better than I do about what Im talking about. I hope that makes sense.

To answer some more specific questions from people.

Koyo, I'm not doubting your expertise and experience in the styles of martial arts you practice. I think of the many posters on here, your post have been among the most reasonable. I myself know very little of Japanese martial arts, and even less about what their equivalence of fajing is. I think even many Chinese martial artists may have the idea that nothing new can be found to add. Traditional ideas are deeply ingrained in many practitioners and schools, so within the Chinese styles, many people take the Dan Tian approach for granted. Master Pan Yue spent many years with trial and error practice in developing this method, which itself is fairly radical compared to more traditional methods. De-emphasizing the role of Dan Tian and breathing as central to fajing is different from what many believe. And furthermore, while other practitioners are often sure to hold the use of the feet in their method, the way and extent we emphasize the use of the feet is unique. Cheesypeas, I hope this helps answer your question too. Even in the Tai Chi classics it says the power is generated from the feet. However, this is not easy for many to implement fully.

Koyo, while you may feel critical of the recent video, I hope you understand the context in which it is presented. You apparently are extremely familiar with Japanese styles, so you might already be familiar with the one step sparring drill (Kihon Ippon?) seen in Shotokan. It was under that understanding my teacher made the video and posted it as "sparring".

El Medico, your comments have been extremely helpful. We usually see lots of people who respond with complete disbelief so its nice to hear from someone who has a good idea of what we're talking about. Your suggestions have been very sound, and we'll take note of them. I again offer my apologies for any confusion about statement about Yang style/practitioners etc, I hope things are a bit clearer now. I'll pass along the suggestion to be more clear in that portion of the site.

Again, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll be here if anyone has more questions, comments. etc. Have a good day all.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Thanks.:)

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Superior CMA training methods:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol32eUQ0DhA&feature=related"]YouTube- An Jian Qiu - Chinese Boxing[/ame]

5. default

default Valued Member

To the OP-Do you have any videos of your students sparring? With or without protective equipment? I would love to see how those techniques are used in pressure tested situations.

Are you located in Skokie, or are you just doing a seminar at the location? What does your tuition fee go towards? Do you feel you are charging to teach your students how to defend themselves or to learn how to do forms?

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

7. edudley

edudley Valued Member

Totally!

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

this is not sparring,

mang

u have no honor.

stop disrespecting my ancestor

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

The guys who came on here about this in the two threads did so just to promote their seminar.They haven't stuck around so you probably won't get an answer.Anyhoo,it was suggested they put up some vids of heavier contact freestyling.See their answer in the thread.

Their seminar wasn't about defending oneself or doing forms better.It was about teaching certain methods of power generation utilized in some CMAs.Read the other thread they started.

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah,well that's what got them into trouble.Then he had to explain that it equated more to one step sparring rather than freestyling.Don't think they'll post another vid on MAP like that again without stating what it really is.Or isn't.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

One step sparring is not any kind of sparring. Thats like saying one thrust...

MAP is about as happy as she would be! :)

12. default

default Valued Member

So the purpose of power generation is what if not to defend oneself? By the way, I see very little power generation, more like compliant zombie shoving.

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I agree,more like a short drill but it's a common term.Not that the vid even looked like one steps,tho'.

default-ok,I get what you meant now,yeah the purpose of any power generating exercise is to then apply it to your techniques,so the purpose would be for fighting,not doing forms well.Sorry for being thick.

As to the pushing and balance disruption examples in the vids we've been all over that criticism in the two threads.If you haven't read them and have nothing better to do read 'em and most things you might ask about/criticize were probably brought up already.

14. kong2

kong2 New Member

has anyone read the pre heaven power method book? if so, in your opinion, will the exercises in the book actually help you to learn how to develop internal power? is it worth getting?

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Haven't seen it, but assuming the book is a total work and doesn't leave things out-

1)One would still need an instructor/monitor-unless one is already well experienced in such practices.

2)One needs to spend a great deal of time on such practices to develop the mechanics of "internal" power. So is THAT worth it? That's the real question.