Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by talkless, Aug 13, 2010.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It is NOT "people" who are skeptical but other martial artists who can look at the techniques and the execution of them.

The "attacks" are not at all dangerous and the reaction to the "counters " are not true.

2. talkless

talkless New Member

There's a lot you are not seeing. I'll return in a few hours to explain more thoroughly.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Philly-The only town in the States where you'll see two winos having a fight in an alley and they're both throwing jabs!

Ancient western boxing saying.

4. koyo

What I AM seeing is slow dabs put forward that,if not blocked, would still not make contact on a number of times.

The "attacking" arm left out there to aid the technique.

The master NOT always getting off line nor unbalancing the attacker.

ALWAYS single attacks etc.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nope. The first 45 seconds show pictures and text followed by 45 seconds of video.

The 45 seconds of video show that if someone steps forward slowly and unrealistically holds out an attack and remains in (an often weak) stance, they can be parried and knocked back by someone who then similarly holds position and stance.

This is what movies teach us about martial arts, not what sparring, never mind fighting teaches us.

Mitch

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Its Philly. They'd be bobbing and weaving and throwing tight nasty left hooks.

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

We didn't need another advertisement for this.One of your brethren's already been here,done that.The resulting thread wasn't pretty.

OK,this wasn't on here when I was lunching at work,so I didn't see it-(will you guys take up a collection so somebody'll run a cable to my place so I don't have to live on dial-up?I can't watch anything at home!)-but from the gang's reaction I probably don't need to.

You really need to put up some some free sparring w/decent contact if you want to highlight these balance attacks.It's not like somebody's going to get killed or something.

A former member,Firequan, put up more than one vid of I Ch'uan guys smacking each other a bit and the teacher blowing some of them off their feet in the process and I don't recall anyone laughing.Until you follow suit a lot of people here are going to continue to be asking "Where's the beef?".

Just speaking as a former Chinese Boxing instructor who spent a lot of his younger days receiving and delivering balance attacks-oh,and getting hit and kicked a lot.A lot.

Quoting from a certain religious text-'Go,and do thou likewise."

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I really wouldn't. It's been done.See nujaubung's thread.

Unless you're going to go into explicit detail on mechanics and the particular exercises you folks do to cultivate them.In other words,delivering the verbal instructional part of your seminar in text form here.I think that's unlikely.

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

10. talkless

talkless New Member

There's obviously a lot of confusion as to how people are interpreting this. I already said it wasn't free sparring or full contact. The video was labeled as "controlled" sparring in what I believe to be reference to one step sparring drills, types of which are seen in other styles. If it was free sparring, then obviously the techniques would be different. The 13 techniques would probably not have been shown and I would do more than single punches. The video is meant to be different and ideally more interesting than the standing stake exercise videos. Despite this not being all out sparring, I can say its not purely simulated either. I'm getting hit and thrown fairly hard out there. I know what that feels like from other experiences and activities, as well as this, I can assure you the feeling is real. If my teacher decided to make a free sparring video, I would volunteer to be in it, it's a nice suggestion. I did see the other thread, and I wasn't sure to post this as separate or not, and maybe I should have put it in there, my mistake I apologize for that. I had meant to post in the other thread earlier too while things were being said, but for whatever reason, it took unnecessarily long to get approved to post in this forum.

So anyway, I think it's more important for me to specify on some other things. What these videos are for, are basically for presenting a method, not a style or set of techniques, which is based on body mechanics and physical principles, not based on qi. I think when people see the videos, they tend to focus too much on seeing people being thrown back, etc. and our message gets lost. These principles are definitely within description, and it was unfortunately misinterpreted in the other thread as not being so. If you look at our website americanyzy.com and look at the article "Internal Martial Arts: Dan Tian or Balls of the Feet?" it gives more detail on this. The aspect of the way the feet are involved in this method makes it a bit more unique compared to other methods, although this is not the only aspect in which Preheaven power is based on. The way the feet are involved in generating the force seen in the videos is very subtle and not easily noticed, and hence why I mentioned what one isn't seeing. There are other factors involved, some of which are also fairly subtle, but all based on physical princples and not qi power. When people are being moved back in the videos, its not done with effortless action or no exertion, it's just the mechanics are different and the movements are much smaller. The basic goal behind Preheaven Power is to implement the body mechanics for any given posture, at any time. It may interpolated that it may apply across various styles as well and hopefully just as useful to the external as well as the internal practitioner. There's a lot more I could add, including explanations and example stories, but I will leave it at this for now. I would be more than happy to answer any further questions or address any other concerns.

11. koyo

None of the questions on posts 24 and 25 were answered.

PLUS I looked at the self defence against a knife video and that was truly terrible.

Teachers must accept responsibility for what they present as effective self defence.

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I couldn't find that one... you got a link?

13. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Halfassed punches and attackers that freeze frame after they throw 1 punch so you can do your techniques is not sparring, controlled or other wise. If you want to get the message in your videos across better you should start by getting the message right in the posts were you link to your videos.

All CMA's are rooted and issue power from the root. I don't see anything special or unique about the mechanics of your techniques.

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sheep tossing?

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

talkless-as I said,unless you're actually going to explain things in a concrete manner-(for example such as how the inguinal (sp?) fold at the hip joint can be utilized )- just talking in generalities isn't going to impress anyone or get your point across. You really haven't added anything of note to what your associate said in the other thread.

I said-(ooh,should I say "revealed"?)- more in the other thread in post #22 when I stated- "I can describe/explain/teach compression,opening/closing joints, elongation/contraction of soft tissues and various things related to this sort of thing-..." than either of you have said.I didn't go into details on it anymore than I would write step by step basic form instruction here 'cause when I instruct I get paid for it ,but I'm not trying to sell it to the members here either.If I was,I'd expect the folks to want to know just a wee bit more about HOW things are done before they shelled out rupee$ for the training methods.

I just looked and couldn't find anything on your seminar on the Empty Flower or Rum Soaked Fist forums.Did I miss it,or are you not advertising there because some people there already know about this stuff?

Gosh,hope I haven't come too close to revealing a "secret" in mentioning the hip kua-

seeing as how I own at least one book by a Wu(Ng) practitioner who writes about it!

Which brings up the fact that some of this is now available to the general public in books and instructional vids.Unless you guys are really using totally different mechanics than anyone else in the field who utilize these things.Which,as I stated before,I doubt.

Well,got a relative visiting from out of state so gotta get ready.Later.

16. koyo

If you click on the video he posted there are others down the side and one is called self defence which shows a group of them laughing and giggling while "training" against knife thrusts.

17. talkless

talkless New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try to address things as general as possible, although various individuals have noted more distinct issues which I will try to explain more upon.

As far as the videos go, they are essentially ads, much like a commercial hence we can only put so much material in them. We originally recorded a lot more and only put a few of the clips in them. There's really a lot more to it than that, and much of it we have not explained. Ideally we hope for people to attend the workshop and that's why we've gone through the effort to post the video links in this forum as well as others (it was asked if emptyflower is included, and yes, there's threads there the same as what we posted here and thankfully the feedback there has been quite more reasonable). We understand most people who see these videos will probably be skeptical and likely won't attend the workshop. This is understandable as what we are presenting goes against most people' views and expectations, this is why we chose the word revolutionary as part of slogans. While these posts have been presented for the sake of the workshop, and also while there are fees to the workshop, the said notion that we are pushing to "sell" something is a bit misleading as well as uninformed. AYZYIM is an organization, we have legal corporate status, and as such an entity we'll be obligated to meet certain costs such as taxes, potential marketing costs, travel frees for future out of town seminars, etc. The repeated assumption that our focus is to merely "sell" the Preheaven Power method has a lot of negatively spun connotations. Profit is not our goal. We instructors are not going to be making money off of this, nor is this to benefit the CTMAA school as that and AYZYIM are separate entities. On the same note, we as instructors are putting a lot of our free time in this, we are essentially contributing to this on a volunteer basis. IF there were to be profits to be had in this, they would probably be going to Master Pan Yue out of courtesy.

On the same issue of these posts made for the sake of marketing for the workshop, again with that being the idea, we didn't approach any forum with the intent of debate. I'm sure anyone who spends five minutes on the internet anywhere can be readily exposed to needless arguments, trolling, flame wars, etc. in any given topic of discussion, not just martial arts. While that sort of immaturity is to be expected at times, hopefully there are some sincere readers out there who will be appreciate the Preheaven Power method for what it is. If there are serious questions, comments, concerns, etc. I'll do what I can to address them. Again, as I had stated before, anyone is welcome to visit the school to verify for themselves whether or not what we teach is real. I can spend as much on here just typing words as necessary, and people can choose to not believe what I'm saying, but ultimately in the end, feeling can immediately settle what words are incapable of showing. Anyone who is doubtful if this sort of fajing is real can come feel for themselves. Anyone who is already aware and knowledgeable of fajing can come feel and compare it to their own method. One doesn't have to attend to the workshop (although that is the ideal thing if one wants to actually learn it rather than just see it), the school is open 6 days a week, one may visit during class hours.

Getting on to further specifics, many people have commented on further aspects as to the merit of the standing stake exercises, one step drills etc. For example, someone mentioned the role of stances, square or otherwise on part of the practitioners and partners. I can tell you from observation and experience that these same exercises have been performed in a variety of ways, whether it be the recipient in a stronger stance (bow, san ti, etc), and with the issuer in a weaker square stance, and it has applied successfully all the same. Some comments were about the role of resistance in these drills. If by resistance one means applying pressure on the issuer, yes we implement that quite frequently in a number of ways, whether it be in standing stake drills, testing transmission, response/push hands, etc. Many have commented on the recent video, saying it is not full sparring, which I have already repeatedly acknowledged. The video title was edited last night, and in any case, the original point being was that the drill was likened to "one step sparring" as practiced within Shotokan. For whatever reason, my teacher chose to translate the meaning from Japanese to "controlled sparring". If there was any confusion on this, then my apologies. While we do not have a free sparring video currently, we may perhaps have one in the future.

As far as question of body mechanics go, Preheaven Power is unique in this in certain ways. The blog article I referred to on americanyzy.com details this. We utilize the feet as the root and primary source of generating power, as opposed to the Dan Tian/waist/hips etc. The aspect of feet utilization is a central feature, although not the only one. The details of these mechanics can certainly go on in many ways, for example what one poster described anatomically, as well as further with physics type principles like vectors and statics, etc. We can certainly give a rough impression on what these are, although they will be more significantly explained in the workshop.

Lastly, on a few more specific things,

We do not have a knife self defense video. I have no idea where this confusion arose.

There was a presumption on a statement of Yang style tai chi that may have been taken out of context. From what I'm aware of, what this statement was meant to imply was the percieved stiffness and lack of relaxed/"soft" power amongst some yang style practitioners. I want to make it specifically clear that this was in reference to PRACTITIONERS, not Yang style itself. My teacher makes enormous emphasis on the importance of Yang style as a way to cultivate the relaxation useful for softness and quick striking, this itself being a very key aspect of the Preheaven Power method. The criticism was an ironic one as it was directed towards practitioners in lack of the feature that makes Yang style very useful. I hope explaining this will clear up any misunderstanding.

I made a comment in previous post about skepticism which people may have, which certainly includes martial artists as well and if I may, I'll try to explain this further with examples. 4 of the 6 "instructors" in the 2 earlier videos we posted have experience in martial arts ranging from two to four decades, across many styles and teachers. They have had a lot of experience of searching through what works and what doesn't. There have been a great deal of other students or visitors who have had a great deal of martial arts experience, at times spanning decades, come into the school and while perhaps a good amount of them may have been skeptical of this before, I can tell you from my observation that there has not been a single one who doubted thereafter. Those who have had made the effort to search for something like this for years without success have appreciated it when having experienced it. It's easy to scoff when viewing a screen but feeling firsthand is a very different matter and many people can tell you that.

Hopefully all of this explains some things a bit better. If needed I can add more later on. Thank you for your time.

18. koyo

Talk LESS?. All we get is talk,,no answer to the lack of power in the attacks and the arm left out there and the exagerated leaps backwards.

I have fifty plus years of crosstraining in JMA and see NOTHING new or capable of adding to the WORLD of martial arts.

This is MAP so if you post you must expect questions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  19. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Can you elaborate on this, as I am now confused.

Ime, in TaiJiQuan the feet (root) is the primary source of power.... (power is generated from the feet, controlled by the waist and then issued....)

So how is your system unique??

I am trying to understand...help!

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I'd guess you haven't explained enough for the bulk of the membership to feel it would be worth it for anyone to write a check and attend.It's all just a bit nebulous without speaking of specifics for those not familiar w/this type of training.The message when you're speaking to those unfamiliar pretty much comes across as this-"You may not understand this,and we're not going to explain in any detail,but come and give us $400 for two days and we'll start you on the road."As I stated,I said more than you two have about some of these mechanics (just by my mentioning them).

It's quite cordial to extend an invitation to just drop by to feel it but probably only those in your area might do so.Most people aren't going to fly or drive for distance to check it out esp. if they're skeptical about what you're doing.It would be nice if someone in your area who's a member of MAP would drop by and allow you to "shoot" them and then comment here.It'd probably be preferable if they came from a non CMA background.

I'd like you to know I'm quite aware of the accomplishments of the late Chang,Ch'un-Feng and his line-turning out good fighters in both organized competitions and personal challenge matches,as well as very good instructors.A highly respected line in CMAs.

As I said to your associate in the other thread,I wish you success in your efforts to impart these skills.