video cameras

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by funkymonk, Mar 27, 2005.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I bought myself a video camera the other year which i use as a training aid. The first time i saw myself do a pattern i nearly died :eek: . You see things wrong in your patterns and sparring that you never realised you were doing wrong. I know that taliar and gaz shaw use video cameras too. Do any other MAPers out there use them to help their training?

2. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i use mirrors!! i've never been very confident, so when i actually looked at my kicks and stances etc..i was kinda...impressed!!! :eek: well, or i expected myself to be worse. as for sparring, i looked like i thought i would lol! it's a brilliant tool though, and the good thing about mirrors is that you can correct on the spot for patterns, but video camera ace for sparring! i want one now...

3. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Yeah mirrors are a great help but in our dojang there are places where you can't see yourself in the mirror. I always try and get in the spots where the mirrors are so i can look at myself. People must think i'm a right poser cos i'm always looking in the mirror! :D

4. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

lets be honest funkymonk, you are!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

5. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I use the mirrors at the dojang and I videotape myself occasionally to see if I have improved over the last time I laughed at myself on tape.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

does this refer only to taekwondo training or training in general? if it is the latter, i'll move the thread to general discussion where you can get a reply from people training other martial arts too.

7. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Sounds like a good idea. It would be interesting to see if people from other arts used video cameras too.

8. Croy

Croy New Member

i have mirrors i use while i'm in my workout room, and try and video tape my sparring whenever i can, the video camera has got to be THE BEST tool to try and fine toon your fighting, i'll watch my fight and then put it in slow motion to see what i did to telegraph or find out what i did that kept him from blocking what seemed a rather obvious technique, i highly recommend getting a camera

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I am learning Taiji Quan yang style long form (butterfly version of)
    My class used a video camera recently and we all found it to be of great help, and hope to repeat it on a regular basis. We sat and watched it together and had free discussions with each other and our teacher. It gave us all plenty to think about :D

10. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Im soon going to be having some intense training, learning a lot of forms etc, so im going to use a videocamera so i dont forget them.

Also at my grading at kung fu, we have all out sparing for a set amount of time. The match is recorded and you can watch yourself and get comments on your technique. Its good stuff (I bring my head down too low)

11. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

I have used video cameras before... i recently saw a video of a form i did at my last competition.. although the form look fine i was shocked at how short it was... out there it felt like id been going for much longer. Not actually having access to my own video camera i dont use them that much, but in the future hope to be able to more.

Peter

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'll be filming the class I go to soon. Not a promo work, just to be used to see ourselves and how we can improve ourselves with forms, posture and especially the basics.

There are a few guys I definatley know will benefit from looking at themselves while doing the forms. I do a lot of shadow boxing in front of a mirror so I'm kinda used to seeing myself improve or spotting places for improvement.