Very tough trying to get the passion back

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bujingodai, Dec 29, 2015.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

So.
    I have been involved with Japanese martial arts for 22 years. From being in a larger school, independent from there. Teaching and such to recently in the last 6 mo retiring that. Selling off all the dojo and walking. I had lost my passion and patience.

Unsure where to go from here as I want to learn again. Not wishing ego.I Like the proper Japanese. I am 45 and out of shape. Well not in shape to do much fighting per se.
    Find myself being pretty picky. When I look at a school and see someone called as sensei Bob Boon, rather than Bob Boon, Sensei. It immediately turns me off.

Every school seems to be MMA.

I am in Durham Region Ontario Canada.

Is there any suggestions.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I guess my question would be, what drew you to martial arts in the first place? If you're tired of Japanese arts and don't want to do MMA, what are you looking for?

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Wait I'm sorry I screwed this up: Boxing and judo.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is Hamilton too far? I have a very dear friend who I HIGHLY recommend

http://jkdathletics.com/instructor/trevischandler

He is bujinkan as well as JKDAA so you have a lot of common ground. He is a fitness machine too and will get you in great shape

5. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Maybe if you want to do something different, why not try some of the MMA that you mention is around? I am older than you and do Muay Thai (not saying I'm particularly good). There are folks older than me that show up every day, too. Also BJJ is not unreasonable for someone your age either, why not give it a try?

Hannibal mentions JKD - this might be a great choice also.

Maybe doing something different will help you test your skills, see what you have that is truly great!

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well being in Durham you're not too far away from where I am in Scarborough. If you ever want to train wing chun or just stop by for a kick back into gear you're welcome to it :D Or if you know what you want to train there are plenty of places in the rest of the city. Maybe try something in a new stream like HEMA or capoeira? I know there's fencing in the city as well. Sadly it seems rather bereft of Judo.

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

http://www.kalideleon.com/
    I have heard nothing but great things about him and he moves like a snake.
    http://www.myfma.net/video/the-art-of-kali-de-leon-1

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  8. bujingodai

No it's not the Japanese arts I am tired of. Just a lot of schools with sloppy etiquette.
    Had thought of some arts like kali etc

Will check out some schools for sure and those links, thank you.

And actually got into the arts, as my wife slapped the heck out of me I was looking to avoid that. Won't find too many guys willing to admit that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sloppy etiquette? If that's what is important to you, you should try to find a Japanese cultural society who teach westerners about flower arranging and tea ceremonies.

10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What about trying to find some sort of proper koryu lineage?

11. bujingodai

LOL, no not like that. I think my point was lost in another point. NVM.