Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cheshire Cat, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat New Member

Sorry if a topic like this has already been posted, i couldn't find one.

Anyway, i was just wondering how many martial artists are vegetarians. My Dad always says that i need meat to get strength or whatever but i think i am fine without it. I know it depends how well your diet is though. If anyone has turned vegetarian while practising martial arts do you notice any difference in the way you perform? Do you think vegetarianism has advantages in physical activities? If you want to share nutritional advice or anything please do. Thanks. :)

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

There are a few of us around here somewhere :)

Personally, I haven't seen a big difference. Nor have I heard complaints from the 3 other vegetarians in my class! They key is dioet, and making sure you make up for the various nutrients you're losing by not eating meat, especially Iron, B vitamins, Zinc.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

www.mikemahler.com

Know what you're doing and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

just out of curiosity, are most people moral vegetarians?

6. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

As McG said, you won't have any problems as long as you know what you're doing.

FYI- one of the Krus at my gym, a retired Champion fighter who fought all over the world, is a vegan. If he can do it, you certainly can.

Check it out- Kru Steve Miles

7. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I'm vegetarian (not vegan, though my fiance is), and I don't notice any difference from when I wasn't vegetarian.

In fact, I get more protein now than when I ate meat.

Lots and lots of legumes and tofu will take care of many nutrients that may be lost from eating meat...for everything else, you have vitamins.

Also, don't think that you have to always eat healthy as a vegetarian! My favorite dish is triple layered shallow-fried tofu coated in wheat flour, paprika, pepper, and nutritional yeast. If you freeze the tofu overnight, then the texture becomes identical to "Pressed Chicken" ala McDonald's Chicken Nuggets.

Gangrel Child: You're a vegetarian? You just keep getting sexier and sexier :p

8. LoveIsUnity

LoveIsUnity Valued Member

I'm vegan (and have been for about five years) and I don't have any type of vitamin/nutrient deficiencies. As long as you watch what you eat you will be fine. That being said, most veg*s are more conscious of what they eat than meat eaters (not all, just most) so they make sure they eat the right stuff.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I had no idea you were a vegetarian as well! And don't tease, stud :p

10. gracie22555

gracie22555 New Member

i dont like the idea of killing and eating animals, but they taste so good i cant resist. :)

11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Hey, kill or be killed......just kidding

12. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Hmm...you guys bring up a good yet potentially destructive topic for discussion.

Rather than post the question here, I'll instead ask if the following SHOULD be discussed here or if another thread should be added.

In other words, don't respond to the question...but rather whether the question should be asked HERE.

I'm hesitant to start a discussion on this because many people might be offended...yet I'd like to see what some reasons are.

Would I be lighting the fuse of a large pile of explosives?

13. Len

Len Valued Member

14. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Why do I eat meat? Its tastes good.

Its not about necessity since I can just as reverse the question back to the originator. Its just a stupid "argument" that elitist vegetarians try to pose (its laughable really).

You choose what you eat. Veggie or not its all good.

15. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Anyone else here a big fan of quorn? :cool:

Well, as satori asked;

I am a devout Buddhist and belief we could do without the truly horrendous conditions meat animals are reared and killed in. what the meat industry inflicts is unnecessary suffering.

16. Len

Len Valued Member

scroll back up to my last post, click on the first link, and scroll down to #14 and #15 and read.

17. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

:p

You weren't actually supposed to answer it ;)

Having a poll is probably a bad idea, so I won't bother.

I got tired of people asking "Why are you a vegetarian?" after a while, so I usually say, "It's a personal choice."

Some people want to get belligerant and snippy...which of course prompts me to ask, "Well...why do you eat meat?"

There really is no reason, and you'd be surprised at the answers I receive.

I know that sounds harsh, so please don't think I travel with a group of hippies chanting "MEAT IS MURDER!" I simply got tired of people assuming that because I choose to consume in a matter that doesn't support the meat industry or require the slaughter of an intelligent and social animal...that suddenly I'm a hippy potsmoker that slams President Bush because all the people on MTV do.

Umm...no. I'm an adult ex-Marine firearms/weapons collector that wears a suit and tie to work.

I'm sure vegetarians on this board have had to deal with many similar issues...especially the ones that smoke pot and dress like hippies :p

18. adouglasmhor

One sided propaganda site, who pays for it Meat Processors of America? Honestly this is a horrendous site with no scientific value, but plenty of pseudo science and uninformed opinion. And some of the comments on it are laughable.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  19. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

I could never be a vegetarian as the thought of eating an animal that has be couped up in a cage all its life turns me on too much.

Just as an aside, are any of you vegatarians lifters? i was wondering how much protein you get from food sources and how much you rely on shakes.

20. adouglasmhor

I lift a bit but I am not veggie now but even when I was I had never taken a shake, i was very carefull about protien combining.