Vegetables as a carb source?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hey there,

I have read the nutritional information about vegetables, and they are very low in calories and carbs, yet people whose diets mostly consist of these vegetables seem to have a lot of energy.

If I were to shift my diet to consist mainly of protein sources (meat and fish) and vegetables/fruit, do you think I would feel any different? And would it be possible to continue bulking up? Advice especially welcome from those with EXPERIENCE with this kind of diet.

And could someone list some good vegetables and EASY, SIMPLE recipes - either vegetarian or veg+meat?

Many thanks,
    Jack

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  2. djhallib

djhallib Guest

Eating both meat AND vegetables? Hmm, I guess not many people have tried that... :)

Sounds just like normal food to me.

3. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm not a nutritionalist but I do know this much.....

The carb content of vegetables can vary considerably depending on the vegetable, but many vegetables are quite high in carbs. Potatoes are a very high carb food.

Why not just try eating a healthy balanced diet. If you're overweight (fat rather than muscular) you need to cut down your calorific intake (eating less carbs might help) and do some exercise. If your underweight you should increase your calorific intake. But either way, your diet should be balanced.

Mike

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Where do you get your carbs from if not vegetables, Jack?

And on the same thought as djh above, wtf are you eating now?

Rgds,
    David

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Jack,I think you would have to contine with protien during the day as to the formula,but undoubtly increasing fruit and veg (particularly raw)intake can only be an advantage to your Health and fittness.
    Go for lots of fruits and vegs during the day.Particularly green and red vegs.Try as others have said to reduce the refined Complex carbs (breads,cerals)and fill up big on raw food(as in uncooked fruits and veg)steam other vegies.Consider pulses and nuts (soak nuts overnight).Generally I eat rice and lots of fruit and veg diring the day and lots of protien and prodominatly green vegs at night.I also get a lot of seafood as my partner is Japanese,so its seeweed and raw fish.
    You might like these sites
    www.warriordiet.com/about.html
    www.paleodiet.com

6. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Here's an easy Breaky shake
    Whatever2-4 peices fruit in season(if waxed skin them)
    OJ or whatever juice
    Bit of Vit C powder
    Blender
    Ice
    Blend up all the fruit with ice vit C and juice
    Drink easy huh!!!
    You can put whatever supplement you like in this one,or use dairy instead of juice,just blend it ALL rather then just juice it.
    Hope thats usefull

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... I am trying to ascertan what you are asking Jack...

What does your diet consist of now? Do you not eat veggies and fruit...? no meat or just meat? :confused:

You need energy? Also to bulk up?

8. Jack

Jack Valued Member

LOL, it seems most of these replies came from a key mistake on my part. Replace "vegetables" with "green vegetables" - what if I were to cut down on Starchy carbs like oats, rice, potatoes, pasta, and eat more "green" carbs broccoli, zuchinnis, lettuce, etc.

My diet normally consisted of largely meats and starchy carbs. I want to reduce my starchy carb intake and increase by "green" carb intake.

Thanks

Ooops. :D

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

carbs rich diet is basically, pulses like soyabean, Wholegram, adn some whom i dunno english names :D, then potato and rice are carb rich diets...
    anyways basically veggie looks more energetic cuz their food doesn't take much of ur body resources to break up into essential nutrients, but in meats case it isn't so
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Kat

Kat Valued Member

OK,I guess no one bothers about reading links, so I'll Try one more

www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

all this free information,what to do??
    Jack: I think your on a good idea,why not eaze into to it and test it out for a month?As said it won't hurt to increase fruit and veg into anyones diet.

11. Sporran

Sporran Silverback.

What you are talking about is covered in a book called "The Zone Diet". Basically, by eating a 40% protein, 30% each carb and fats, you keep your body in an optimal metabolic state, as it keeps insulin surges to a minimum.
    It is mostly due to such insulin spikes that the metabolism slows, encouraging fat deposition.

The carb sources in this diet are mostly low glycemic index vegetables - ie not the starchy ones.

I have done it for a wee while now, and really feel energised by it. Although I do miss bread, you can cheat every so often. A diet isn;t meant to be a prison.

I forget the author, but i seem to think his name is Barry Sears / Spears. Something like that anyway.

Anyway, good fruit, veg and lots of protein (via meats). I remember Dave Turton once saying that the best way to eat, is to ensure that what you are eating is as close to its natural state as you can get it. Ties in well, i think.

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Kat, those were some interesting links. Thank you! (I do read them ;))

I will stay with my current eating plan, but I will start to eat more vegetables, especially root vegetables. I'll see how it goes, and I might convert later on.

Jack