Van Zandt's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Van Zandt, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Wednesday, 20 August

Diet

Another very long day o' workin' in which my healthy eating was a sorry state of affairs.

Breakfast
    • Large mocha coconut from Starbucks
    • Blueberry muffin

Lunch
    • 7" pizza
    • Bag of crisps
    • Apple

Dinner
    • Cheese, lettuce & pickle sandwich
    • Diet pepsi

Uggghhh...

Activity

Stretching (20 minutes)
    Worked front and side oversplits when I got home, reaching 230° and 210° in each respectively. Had little chance to do anything else. :(

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your posts are the highlight of my day.:Alien:

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That's not good man . . . . . . :p

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

See you all in 10 days.

Attached Files:

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Diary of trip to WY.

Sunday
    Arrived in Cheyenne at 12:30pm local time, after 2 days travelling and an overnight stop in Washington DC. Got to the hotel an hour after landing, which was good. Went for an exploration walk in the 27°C sunshine, which lasted a few hours an included an impromptu game of baseball with some locals in Lions Park.

Monday
    Taught karate classes in the morning. Went to a shooting range and received a one-to-one private class in the Glock 19 handgun. Class was only supposed to last 2 hours but went on for nearly 4. Teacher was a USMC vet. and retired sheriff called Dale. Really cool guy. Taught me about weapons safety, handgun marksmanship principles, holster drills, and observed me while I practiced single-fire (draw, fire, holster, repeat) and slow double-tap (draw, fire, pause, fire, holster, repeat) drills on the 25-yard outdoors range. He assessed my groupings after every 5 rounds, making corrections along the way to keep improving them. My best was around 2 inches. Signed up on the spot for more classes with him, which included training on the AR-15 (M4) carbine. Taught more karate classes in the evening. Had a casual swim in the hotel pool.

Tuesday
    Taught karate in the morning. Drove to a working cattle ranch for a horse riding lesson, then spent a couple hours on a guided horseback tour that went over the open plains, forest and through a mountain stream. Phenomenal views. The air was noticeably cleaner than back home, too. Could spend the rest of my days there. No teaching in the afternoon. Went back to the range for more coaching from Dale. Picked up the speed of my x1 and x2 shot drills with the Glock. Then got introduced to the AR-15. Had a crack at one of these back in my army days and the weapon is still just as beautiful as I remember. Opted for the 14.5-inch barrel model with vertical foregrip. Dale covered stances, points of contact with the weapon (including pros/cons of variations in placement of the support hand), and just basically smoothing out the action of raising the weapon from high ready position, aiming, firing (dry fire only today, i.e. no ammunition), and returning the weapon to high ready. Caught a movie in the evening.

Wednesday
    Taught karate in the morning. Went for a long drive, which included a visit to a Native American reserve (pretty bland to be honest) and lunch with a very nice Mormon family. At the range for a few hours with Dale for more handgun practice before firing several AR-15 mags on the 50-yard outdoors range. Slow, single-fire shots only. Fired from each shooting position: standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone. Got introduced to the supine position at the end of the lesson (lying on back, barrel pointed at target between feet), which was something I had never seen before. Taught more karate in the evening followed by pizza with training partners and coaches.

Thursday
    Taught karate plus did some private fitness and therapy sessions in the morning. Hit up Wyoming State Museum and some shops after lunch. Met Dale at the range. Fired several mags from both the Glock and the AR-15 to warm up. Got taught how to efficiently transition from the carbine to the sidearm and back again. Kept working this until it became smooth. One drill I did lots and lots was to fill each AR-15 and Glock mag with just 3 rounds. Dale shouted "Threat!" and I fired all 3 rounds from the AR-15, switched to the Glock on my hip and fired all 3 rounds from that, reloaded the Glock and fired just 2 rounds, holstered the Glock and switched back to the AR-15, reloaded and fired just 2 rounds. Dale had a handheld shot timer and would read back my scores, giving pointers on how to improve my speed and accuracy at the same time. Dumping the mags on the floor was something I was uncomfortable with at first, because in the army I was always taught to put them in a dump pouch for reloading later on. To be honest I was clumsy as hell in parts, damn near knocking the Glock out of my hands at one point when I tried to slap in a fresh mag. Dale could do the drill in less than 9 seconds; my best time was 21 seconds lol.

Friday
    Taught the last of the karate sessions in the morning. Had lunch with my fellow coaches and some of the students. Drove to the range for my final lesson with Dale. Went back over everything I had learned up to that point, with him giving me revision sheets for each drill to take home. Spent about an hour going through all of the drills with live ammo. Our time was up by that point, but he said since I'd been such a good student he was happy to offer up some more of his time for free to show me a bonus drill. Of course I said yeah! He showed my how to switch from strong side to support side (i.e. shoot right and left handed), while moving and shooting from behind and between cover. Shooting ambidextrous was something I never got taught before. In the army, it's impossible to shoot left-handed because the L85A2 service rifle is built in a way that would knock out your front teeth if you ever tried it. We exchanged war stories over a beer afterwards. I returned to the hotel and packed my bags ready for the flight home the next day.

Monday
    Arrived home at 8:30am local time. Shattered.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thoughts...

Just a lil' bit of reflection time. Really enjoyed the trip. Coaching was fun but felt like a chore. Definitely feel most of the fun is gone from it. Group classes for sure, 1:1 is still okay. Kind of wishing I made this decision years ago, but you can't dwell on the past. Can't wait to get stuck into training for the stunt register. Horse riding was great fun. Next lesson is on Wednesday at a stables near my home. Best part of the trip without doubt was shooting. The AR-15 is one of America's best exports (along with Ford Mustangs and Denise Richards. And, Ero? Freedom isn't an American export; you imported it from the British :D ). Loved that gun and felt like I made huge improvements by the end of the week. My only fear is that I will lose any skill I picked up now I'm back in the UK. Here you need a licence just to carry a biro. Shooting ranges simply don't exist here, at least not if you're happy with clay pigeon shooting with a bunch of posh farmers. It was the tactical side of things I enjoyed. Not bothered so much about accuracy. There are tactical shooting courses available through UK providers, but they typically involve travelling to Czech Rep. or Switzerland (not so bad) and start at around £800/$1300 for a 2-day pistol intro course (very bad). I'm not that interested in shooting pirates off the coast of Africa. Really, I just need to look like I know what I'm doing for when it comes to filming scenes with guns on screen as an extra or stunt performer. An idea I had was to buy airsoft versions of the Glock and AR-15 and rehearse the drills at home. Most airsoft models these days are built to look, feel and even work like their real-life counterparts. I could probably find more drills online. I'd essentially be doing dry-fire drills. Probably sounds a bit silly, but it's likely the best I'm going to get. Planning to get in at least four hours stunt-specific training tomorrow...

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My breakfast and lunch these days are basically a Nutribullet (mainly) fruit smoothie and a (mainly) veggie one. :)
    I use a mixed/powdered seed/nut mix with flax seed, sunflower seeds etc etc.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, can't get enough of the little beast. :)

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Doesn't sound silly at all. Sounds like a very sensible idea.

You don't need to be accurate when the squibs are already in place!

It takes cajones to branch out in a new direction. Big respect to your cajones ;)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks man :)

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Stats

• Weight: 76.5 kg (down from 77.8 kg)
    • Body fat: 11.9% (down from 12.1%)
    • Resting heart rate: 53 bpm (up from 46 bpm)

My weight and body fat are down a bit since I last measured two and a bit weeks ago. Put that down to better eating habits than an increase in physical activity (given my increase in RHR). Bit surprised really because I was on a full-on American diet last week (i.e. fast food). Will measure again in 2 weeks.

Nutrition

Sub-heading above changed from the D-word to the N-word, because I hate the D-word.

Breakfast
    • NutriBullet smoothie (spinach, banana, pear, red grapes, flax seed, walnuts, filtered water)
    • Vitamins

Had two NutriBullet smoothies yesterday, packed full with high fibre goodies like flax and leafy greens. My first ones in over a week. Forgot how badly they make you pass wind! :eek:

Snack
    • Hard-boiled egg

Lunch
    • NutriBullet smoothie (spinach, banana, mandarin, blueberries, almonds, filtered water)

Pre Training (before weight lifting)
    • NutriBullet smoothie (Swiss chard, cooked sweet potato, plain muesli, papaya, mango, filtered water)

Post Training (after weight lifting)
    • Pint of semi-skimmed milk

Dinner
    • Can of tuna, sweet potato, steamed broccoli
    • Low fat yogurt

Training

Kicking (1 hr 15 min)
    • Foam roller exercises (10 minutes)
    • Joint rotations (5 minutes)
    • Cardio warm-up (10 minutes)
    • 180° slow leg raises to the front: 5 x 10 (10 minutes)
    • 180° slow leg raises to the side: 5 x 10 (10 minutes)
    • 180° fast pump round kicks: 5 x 100 (10 minutes)
    • 180° static side kick hold: 5 x 1 minute (10 minutes)
    • 230° right front oversplit isometric stretch: 5 x 30-second tensions (10 minutes)
    • All techniques done on right leg only due to weak left hip.
    • Now doing one isometric stretch per day, i.e. Day 1: Left front oversplit, Day 2: Right front oversplit, Day 3: Side oversplit. Just because. Yesterday was Day 1.

Weapons (1 hour)
    Kama basic blocks, cuts and strikes.

Traditional Forms (1 hour)
    Mun-Mu (also Moon-Moo from ITF taekwondo) and Chatan Yara Kusanku (from ****o-ryu karate). I avoided kicking with my left leg too much in the past due to my hip, but it's necessary for traditional forms (especially Mun-Mu). Sticking it 180° in the air during forms practice only seems fine, and I can still get the required strength and endurance I need to hold it up there for a few seconds pause without focused training. The kicking sessions (in which I do slow leg swings, pump kicks, and leg holds) only involve my right leg because my creative empty hand forms will more or less use just my right leg, so it needs the training.

Mun-Mu is a 4th dan pattern (I only got to 1st dan) and Chatan Yara Kusanku is a kata from a style I never did before. But I started doing these because at some point I want to compete in traditional (empty-hand) forms, especially on the open circuit in America where they offer both Korean and Japanese forms divisions in one event. Unfortunately, the Korean forms division ends up full of Ameri-do-te style krotty folk doing their interpretation of the patterns. The result is damn hideous. Example of an American doing Ge-Baek (a 1st dan ITF TKD form) very badly:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FccB104m6Gc"]Katie Smith Korean Forms at US Open 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I had to bleach my eyes after watching that. THIS is what Ge-Baek should look like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4mQLYruis"]Ge-Baek TAGB pattern - YouTube[/ame]

I'm taking a far more traditional approach than the Yanks, but with my own twist (it is still the American open circuit after all, so some dramatic performance is required to score points). So my kicks will be vertical (or near vertical, depending on how appropriate height is to the technique - but yes, that means all low kicks are now high section :p ), speeding up certain sequences of movements, and not screaming on every single move. I will compete on the American circuit because it's America (for all my protestations of Britain being the greatest nation on Earth - it still is - I do enjoy visiting the USA), the tournaments are bigger, better organised, and more prestigious. They're also more often, at least one big name event (usually more) each calendar month. And I can compete in weapons, creative forms, and traditional forms under one roof (usually separate tournaments in the UK) against the very best in the world.

This is one of the best examples of Mun-Mu I can find on the net:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLTrHd5Wgjk"]Moon-Moo Tul - Arek Homańczuk - YouTube[/ame]

And this is a superb rendition of Chatan Yara Kusanku by Rika Usemi (I am trying to perform it exactly like her in the video below):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtRdASRK-Qo"]Kata CHATAN YARA KUSANKU by Rika Usami (JPN) - YouTube[/ame]

Creative Forms (1 hour)
    XMA stuff :p Tried my best to copy the Chloe Bruce form in the video below. Kicks were there (although my scorpion kick balance was a little wobbly, probably due to jet lag, and her final pullover kick goes a bit further than mine), but I'll just keep simulating the acrobatic stuff (flips, no-handed cartwheels, and kip-up) until I can do them properly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-ho3Kb4D8"]WAKO British Championships - Chloe Bruce - YouTube[/ame]

Tricking (1 hour)
    Laid back session practicing the backside-900 round kick and cartwheel progressions I got taught in my tricking classes.

Weight Lifting (30 minutes)
    • Barbell overhead press: 5 x 10 (10 kg)
    • Dumbbell side delt raise: 5 x 10 (5 kg)
    • Dumbbell front delt raise: 5 x 10 (5 kg)
    • Barbell rear delt row: 5 x 10 (10 kg)
    • Hindu squat: 3 x 50 (0 kg)

These are baby numbers. But I haven't lifted properly in months (feel like I could crank out a near bodyweight OHP for 5 reps if I grit my teeth and clenched my sphincter) so I'm starting right from the beginning again. Focus is body sculpting rather than raw strength, so I'm going to be doing lots of bodybuilding-style training (albeit with a calorie deficit to help me lose weight to my target weight of 60 kg, as this is what works best for me). Going to be doing Hindu squats 6 days a week, working up to 500 reps in one go. I used to do it, and my knees were in superb shape because of it (knee health is a concern of mine given my new focus on jumps and flips). It's great cardio too, and I can't be arsed running lol.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Nutrition

Breakfast
    • NutriBullet smoothie (spinach, banana, orange, blueberries, walnuts, flax seed, filtered water)
    • Vitamins

Snack
    • Pecan and prune home-made snack bar

Lunch
    • NutriBullet smoothie (kale, broccoli, asparagus, apple, filtered water)
    • Mexican casserole (brown rice, black beans, garlic, cherry tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, avocado)

Dinner
    • Sweet potato oven cakes (4)
    • Cucumber salad (cucumbers, red onion, apple cider vinegar, thyme, pinch of stevia

Training

Kicking (1 hour 15 minutes)
    • 230° side oversplit isometric stretch: 5 x 30-second tensions (10 minutes)
    All techniques done on right leg only due to weak left hip.

Horse Riding (1 hour)
    Basic lesson in the enclosed paddock. Introduced to the horse, taught how to put halter and lead rope on, how to lead the horse, how to turn the horse, how to mount/dismount safely, how to stop/start the horse, how to turn the horse in circles, and how to turn the horse in figure eights.

Weapons (1 hour)
    Kama basic cuts, strikes, and blocks.

Mun-mu and Chatan Yara Kusanku.

Creative Forms (1 hour)
    Chloe Bruce open hand form (see earlier post).

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What did you think of the riding? I take it you haven't done it before. I used to ride horses and was pretty damn good at it if I may say so myself!

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I rode a little bit as a kid, then a few hours last week for the first time in decades. Loved it, although I'm shocked at how much DOMS it leaves in its wake. Yesterday was my first lesson with a new stables, so they had me start right from the very beginning.

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's amazing how much DOMS you get from riding, isn't it?!

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Totally! My god my back, arms, and butt cheeks are sore today! Apparently you can burn up to 400 calories an hour :)

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thursday, 4 September 2014

Nutrition

Breakfast
    • NutriBullet smoothie (spinach, banana, orange, carrot, pumpkin seeds, soy-based protein powder, almond milk)
    • Vitamins

Snack
    • Cashew and apricot home-made snack bar

Lunch
    • NutriBullet smoothie (kale, banana, papaya, orange, pumpkin seeds, raw cacao, filtered water)
    • White bean and mixed veggie soup

Dinner
    • NutriBullet smoothie (beetroot, red grapes, broccoli, blueberries, flax seeds, olive oil, filtered water)
    • Mexican casserole (leftovers from t'other day)

I have incorporated the use of my NutriBullet into my daily eating habits more than ever. (I had one between lunch and dinner that I forgot to record and I don't remember what I put in it!) I'm feeling the benefits - I have more energy, I'm sleeping better and my mood swings have gone right down. I put a lot of this down to working less hours, but the massive increase in fruit and veg uptake must have something to do with it. I appear to have subconsciously become a vegan, having not eaten meat for a few months and gradually weaning myself off fish and dairy (again, not a conscious decision, it just kinda happened). I'm feeling less bloated and farty, so maybe I had an undiagnosed lactose sensitivity? Who knows.

Training

Kicking (1 hour 15 minutes)
    • 230° left front over-split isometric stretch: 5 x 30-second tensions (10 minutes)
    All techniques done on right leg only due to weak left hip.

Weapons (1 hour)
    Kama basic cuts, strikes, and blocks. Aiming to work up to 10,000 good reps per technique/combo drill (currently doing about 1,000 reps per workout).

Mun-mu and Chatan Yara Kusanku. Planned sets interspersed with random practice of other ITF and WTF TKD forms (such as Yul-Gok, Hwa-Rang, and Koryo).

Creative Forms (1 hour)
    Chloe Bruce form.

Parkour (40 minutes)
    This move:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWI4dFPiEoQ"]Lær parkour - Speed Vault tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Only 40 minutes of a planned 1 hour class because I messed up the delivery and sat on my hand. My hips drove into my thumb (which was sticking up, stupidly) with an audible "crack." It was that kind of pain where you don't know if you're going to scream and cuss, or quietly hobble into a corner and wet yourself. Don't think it's broken or dislocated as I eventually gained near-full movement, but I'm typing this with a thumb the size of a dachsund. I might have strained my right thigh (hamstring attachment under the lateral side of my butt cheek) at some point. Doing what, I'm not sure. I'm going to lay off any right front split stretches for the next few weeks while it heals.

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

A tip for if you have an excitable horse is to talk to it. Get it to focus on your voice - you don't have to make sense, but just talk in a calm, soothing manner and that helps keep its attention on you and allows you a bit more control.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My horse (I say "my", it isn't mine but I wish it was) is well behaved thankfully. Bit of a snob as well, I think. Kept giving me a look that said, "I always get the fat ones."

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nutrition

Breakfast
    • NutriBullet smoothie (spinach, banana, orange, carrot, pumpkin seeds, almond milk)
    • Vitamins

Lunch
    • Large fries from McDonald's (not healthy, I know)

Dinner
    • NutriBullet smoothie (beetroot, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, red grapes, flax seeds, filtered water)
    • 12" pizza

Training

Weapons (1 hour)
    Kama basics.

Gymnastics (1 hour)
    Headstand, handstand and cartwheel practice.

Mun-mu and Chatan Yara Kusanku.