vague interest rising...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by cavallin, May 27, 2006.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

so yeh.. i've been doing Tae Kwon Do for 6 and a half years, and i've just taken a big grading, so wont be grading for at least 3 yrs, got a club up n running, and i've been getting more and more thoughts coming into my head about starting solmething else...

my shcedule is very tight and my money too, but hey, i might just see how it goes.. but you know what? i've been so absorbed in the world of TKD that i just don't have a clue what to go for...

i'd like something very different to TKD, maybe judo. i don't think i want to do wing chun just cos it doesn't appeal to me...

any advice?

2. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Judo involves no kicks or even punches so it won't interfere with your current TKD muscle memory. It nicely fills in the gaps of TKD with it's full-range grappling. I think it sounds like a winner.

(me = biased)

3. Atharel

Atharel Errant

I should add that it's fairly common in Korea to cross-train TKD and Yudo (Korean judo).

4. philp

philp New Member

Yeah, I'd suggest something grappling based to compliment your already good striking skills...something like Judo/JJJ/BJJ would probably be a good idea. If you'd like to work on your fists/punching some more, maybe boxing?

5. Topher

Topher allo!

Judo or BJJ would be worthwhile of you interested in building a takedown and ground game. Maybe FMA for weapons.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

ooh weapons! i hadn't thought of that. i guess i better start looking at some schools

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

maybe a tai chi chuan or a ju jutsu, there could be weapons thrown in too if you want to go that direction. I hear lot of TKD cross train hapkido, I think that has traditional weapons.

8. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Jiu Jitsu would nicely balance you out I think.. Hand strikes, locks, grapples and throws round out your legwork. Nicely fills in the range your current system may lack in. IMHO of course :)