Vaccination status affecting martial arts relationships

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaradia, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The Pfizer mRNA can be easily tweaked against new varients, the curevac issues were apparent from the first stage of the trials, the good thing about mRNA is that they are easily edited.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The point is that, while they have strong suspicions, they do not yet have definitive answers for why it performed so poorly. Until they do, that is still a risk with new vaccines.

And how easy is "easily"? How long to complete trials? How much time and money to shift production facilities? If new variants aren't leading to significantly more hospitalisations, will political will run dry and allow a more dangerous variant to develop unhindered?

Considering we've known this was coming for decades, I think the response has been disappointing, to say the least. I'm not hopeful that it will lead to more robust preparation for the next global pandemic either.

3. Dead_pool

You didn't thank or clap me for helping end the pandemic, that's also disappointing.

#hero

Mangosteen and David Harrison like this.
  4. David Harrison

#freedomday

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have found this approach the best, the political discussion with the friends /family never go well when they are on the other end of the opinion about vaccination.

As the UK ramp up the Booster campaign to get everyone a booster before Christmas, I have seen that all the spaces are taken until mid January in the local region.
    So regardless of the loud anti vax people, or those that are on the other side of the fence, there is still the majority of us that are still getting it done.

Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

^ re slots, all clinics etc are tripling their capacity and their will be lots of walk in available too, so don't let them being fully booked this week put you off trying again before January, we've got six weeks max to get everyone boosted we can do.

Omicron seems to be massively contagious, so even if it's milder (which isn't definite yet) hospitals are going to be overwhelmed by the sick and the dying, due to the sheer numbers of infected.

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

that's great to know thanks :) we have been persistently checking it every day in case of cancellations, but that sounds promising for end of year vaccination.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I've been avoiding thinking about this.
    My grandmother had a stroke last week and is in hospital, due to be moved to a rehab facility.

A wave of covid hitting care homes affecting a whole group of people that spent the last year shielding but have recently had other health issues - that's a terrifying thought.

Everyone get bloody vaccinated. There might not be a mandate but I will start gathering mobs and "jabbing" people if they won't get inboard for everyone's safety.

axelb, Flying Crane and Nachi like this.
  9. stellartran

stellartran Banned Banned

clearly, this pandemic affects our life in many sides from studying, working to daily life. At the first period, when many places are set in lockdown, almost people life has changed. I think that at that time we dislike and are so scared of the virus. Gradually, we have been learning the way to live with that virus, of course in the careful ways such as wearing facemasks, keeping distance, and injecting vaccine. I believe that we have been getting our life back to New normal life.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

This whole thing is certainly affecting my willingness to restart BJJ training. The number of them which straight-up defied health directives, are anti-vaxx and pro-conspiracy theory.... even if this eventually gets resolved (and a hearty up yours to omicron in that regard) it'll certainly mean that I'll be more trepidatious than I would've been otherwise.

Mitlov and Mangosteen like this.
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The pandemic has certainly contributed to me switching from karate back to fencing. In an area where vaccination rates are maybe 50%, fencing is a LOT safer than an empty-handed martial art where you will be hands-on, face-to-face. Especially with Covid masks under the fencing masks.

12. Dead_pool

13. David Harrison

14. Dead_pool

Patents don't work like that, if they make a new combination, test it, and run it through trials that cost millions of pounds, then the patent for that exact combination could be controlled for a few years, but not for things that are currently off patent, and usually not in the very poorest of countries anyway.

David Harrison likes this.
  15. David Harrison

Yep, I misread the statement. Literally juggling children here! I missed the bit that said the patent was spent.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

Same here! Here's to never dropping one!

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  17. axelb

it gets harder when they hit the teens, but good workout when you can't get to the gym :D

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  18. Dead_pool