Vaccination status affecting martial arts relationships

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaradia, Dec 9, 2021.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ha! Epic pivot from your previous arguments :D

Cool, so we're back to square one. I'll stick with the position of international health organisations that aren't in the pocket of the pharmaceutical industry, you can think them naive, we're all good. ;)

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

FB_IMG_1639068141042.jpg
    I'm not sure you understand my original point!

What we've currently done, has worked, I wish more people were doing what Oxford have done.

I'm not sure you understand my original point!
    (Or perhaps I wasn't that clear)

What we've currently done, has worked, I wish more people were doing what Oxford have done.

We could do it differently, but you would have to be very careful how you did that differently.

The international pharma companies have really done amazingly to be honest. Multiple vaccines, all work exceptionally well, with a variety of methods and storage conditions, to fit the real world considerations. That's amazing.

(I work partially with pharma and know they didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, we live in a capitalist society, until we change that, that's the environment all buisness have to operate in.

No pharma companies would mean no widespread vaccine available, it's the political side of things that has failed this time. Don't lose sight of who is to blame for this situation!

3. David Harrison

Your original point read like you were arguing against any chemical factory downloading a vaccine recipe from GitHub and starting production. It also read like you hadn't looked at any of the links I posted.

As for Oxford, I would say "could do better" is a very charitable assessment: Oxford University has a special responsibility to ensure jabs reach the Global South

4. David Harrison

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't know Xue. This is exactly the tactic I and several other friends tried with my friend at the school. We even checked in with each other to time our conversations in a way that it came up supposedly natural and making sure we weren't all having a discussion with her at the same time. Yeah, we carefully timed taking turns and waiting for the right opportunity.

I watched video's from multiple people about how to do it in just such the manner you mention. I don't know how I come across in social media, I think my serious basic nature shows. But I actually am extremely tactful and good at being so when I want to be.

Totally did NOT work. Failure. :(

I am not saying this isn't a good approach. I am saying there are a significant amount of people who won't listen, no matter the approach. I think that these people are who are left unvaccinated in the richer countries.

But I read that some poorer countries are literally turning away vaccines donated to them, because of issues with distribution AND vaccine hesitancy! I will try to find that article.

Honestly, this is why I support mandates. I am sick and tired of this being dragged out because of irresponsible people. You choose not to get vaccinated? Fine, but that is also a choice to not go to work in a place where it endangers others, restaurants, stores, gyms, etc.

Mangosteen, Mitlov and Flying Crane like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Oxford is being produced in India by the serum institute for the covshield programme.

The programme is on track to have enough doses for the entire world in the next six months, it would be earlier but the UK (and others) and hording vaccines.

Covishield: UK recognises Covid jab after India outcry

At below cost price.

If you want the UK to do something more, maybe we shouldn't of elected the absolute clown shoes of a government we have.

7. Dead_pool

8. David Harrison

Where are you getting that?

India's Serum sees 'large' exports as output nearly quadruples

Well, that's a given!

9. David Harrison

10. Dead_pool

[
    Because of logistics in the countries they are being sent too.

I.e Vaccine production isn't the problem at this point in time, it's speed of vaccination in the target countries.

11. Dead_pool

12. David Harrison

That's what SII are saying, but it seems to only be part of the story. Wealthier countries reneging on their funding to the Covax parent organisation is another problem, among others: https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/analysis/weekly-data-why-is-covax-failing

13. Dead_pool

Luckily thats not the measure of funding, but delivered vaccines, and that's an old news article.

The recent news about the SI having to slow the manufacture for co Vax due to countries not having the demand and storage facilities available means it's not just about the push for vaccines but also the demand and logistics that are pulling them.

Even in the UK we had a very difficult time of it sorting out the logistics, and that's with a huge amount of government money thrown at the problem.

14. David Harrison

It's still wishful thinking to think that those targets will be met, judging by past performance: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/12/10/covax-doses-delivered/

The global response has not been good, to say the least. The wealthiest nations can add trillions to their national debt and muster incredible feats of logistics if it means securing power with their militaries, but when the lives of their citizens rely on a global response to disease the shareholders of pharmaceutical companies come first. The world is run by psychopaths.

Even if Covax does reach its target next year, new variants might make those vaccines redundant, and millions have already died.

15. Dead_pool

The mRNA vaccines can be easily modified so, as a fall back the countries with decent pharmacutical infrastructure will now always have access to working vaccines, they delay is in the manufacture and getting MHRA authorisation for the new types, as well as in medical communication, so that people actually take the vaccines.

The other more stable vaccine types are more useful in countries with limited infrastructure, but are also more politicalised, I think what we're looking at here is the failure of the human race to be able to centrally plan and coordinate.

Just look at MAP, we can't even convince all our friends and family to get jabbed in time.

16. Dead_pool

"The immediate issue is no longer supply, but logistics. Roughly 1.2 billion vaccine doses had now been released for Covax, O’Brien said, but not all countries were ready for them.

“We’re in this hybrid space where we’re very much in the shift between supply-constrained to more demand-driven uptake,” O’Brien said."

17. David Harrison

I can't remember if it was that article or another I posted, but part of that problem is because they have to be shipped long distances, so shelf life is reduced. Regardless, if we had the will to do so, we could be doing a lot to help poorer nations with logistics.

Do you think the world's wealthiest nations have done a good job? Were our levels of planning and preparation impressive? Have we done a good job of protecting less wealthy nations, and in turn ourselves? Because this seems to be the position you are defending. Or have you just resigned yourself to millions dying in the name of profit and misplaced economic protectionism?

18. David Harrison

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Aw, come on now David. You should know enough about Dead Pool from his posts to know better than that. There is enough strife about this whole issue. Can those of us whom are on the SAME side of this issue make an effort to get along? Just this once?

Unless Dead Pool is some secret power player, I doubt he (or anyone else) on MAP has any power to really make a difference in vaccine distribution to other countries.

The whole point of my original thread is the pain I am feeling over this issue causing a rift....sigh.............:(

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  20. David Harrison

Don't worry, it's not a rift, it's just the way we communicate. :)

He's already revealed his connection to big pharma. Corporate shill! :D

Dead_pool likes this.